GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Coffee and roll
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 X 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am working on this. It is done on dream canvas and is a still life which I cropped some of the things out of. The painting is actually darker than the picture. There is much more contract on the coffee pot than is showing up for some reason.<br>One thing I think I should change is the roll in front. I think I need to go darker at the back side of it. What do you think?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to know what you think I can do to improve this picture. It is still wet and I can change some things. I am open to all suggestions and I do not get offended at them. I am trying to improve what I am doing.

Corby
04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
a darker background would really be usefull to give depth and really make that lamp sing with crisp highlights.
The whole tray of rolls should be pulled more to the left. They are almost distracting where they are being the focal point and so far outside the center of the painting. You are going to lose them even more to the frame.

It does not have a directional sense of light, it has need of shadows opposite the light source. Especially the leaves look a bit flat without any shadowing.

Love the pineapple doily and the speckled granite pot.

missswiss
04-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Thank you, C.L.
I too thought about the rolls needing moved. There was more in the picture and I just cropped it and I should have moved it over into the picture more. I will work on the plant more too and the background. The picture had such a dark background that the lamp got lost in it, so I probably went to far the other way. Should I stay with the blue gray or change to another color on it? Thanks again for your help. Really appreciate it. Mary

Corby
04-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I would take the blue of the coffee pot and add burnt umber into it untill I had all but killed the blue. (its influence will remain. Removing a dark background like that will actually diminish the light and sparkle in your painting. The light can only be shown against darkness. And if you lose edges in the background (and you should in places) so much the better, drama and mystery is subtly called upon to make its statement!

missswiss
04-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks again for your help. Mary