PDA

View Full Version : What's most important to you?

KOP
04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
When making a pastel selection, what is the most important thing you look for?

K Taylor-Green
04-03-2008, 09:29 PM
For me it is color, hands down!

Scottyarthur
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Color, absuloutly for me it all about the color.

Donna A
04-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi! Color---if that includes heavy pigmentation and lightfastness---which are my first two issues for color! If the pastel stick is diluted with a lot of filler 'stuff' (which makes it cheaper or in many cases softer) it's not going to deliver the color. If the pigment is not lightfast---whatever color I lay on to my painting won't STAY!

So---Heavy Pigmentation and Lightfastness are my MOST important issues! Donna ;-}

bluefish
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm confused by your question - do you mean? =

1 - choosing a stick/pan to do a painting?

2 - purchasing a finished painting?

3- choosing a subject matter that will appeal to a potential buyer?

can't vote unless I know what we are voting for!

'bluefish' :cool:

KOP
04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm confused by your question - do you mean? =

1 - choosing a stick/pan to do a painting?

2 - purchasing a finished painting?

3- choosing a subject matter that will appeal to a potential buyer?

can't vote unless I know what we are voting for!

'bluefish' :cool:

Oh bluefish, silly boy! You know what I meant!!:lol: by bluefish do you mean blue devil damsel, I love those! (I imagine bluefish going to buy a pastel painting, he says "yeah, but it don't got the right texture!")

Hi! Color---if that includes heavy pigmentation and lightfastness---which are my first two issues for color! If the pastel stick is diluted with a lot of filler 'stuff' (which makes it cheaper or in many cases softer) it's not going to deliver the color. If the pigment is not lightfast---whatever color I lay on to my painting won't STAY!

So---Heavy Pigmentation and Lightfastness are my MOST important issues! Donna ;-}

Donna yes yes, my dear! I couldn't agree more! But I couldn't choose, so I picked all! I love sennelier for their pigmentation, especiall for the dark colors they have. They have some beautiful colors too, though some are odd enough!

nana b
04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Assuming you mean choice of pastel sticks, I would been torn to decide between color or texture because if it weren't for the wonderful textures we have now, I'm not sure i would be working in pastel at all. When the best we had was rembrandt I would probably be doing oils. Not to offend the wonderful artist that like rembrandt as their choice and do a great job with it, it's too hard and scatchy for me. But...I love color and thats just as important! My favorite pastels are Unison, Schminke, Sennelier, Girault and Ludwigs.

nana

KOP
04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
When making a pastel selection, what is the most important thing you look for?

Okaaaay, for the dense:

"When making a PASTEL SELECTION........."

not pastel PAINTING/drawing

not pastel SUBJECT MATTER,

but pastel SELECTION of the actual pastel sticks themselves

Dot Hoffman
04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
KOP, "for the dense"..............really............:eek:

KOP
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh honey, don't be such a thin skin! You're not a little girl, so jus...wait...oh my... oh goodness! Yes, now I see!!! No, how could I have been so so, so MEAN! (sobs and sobs) I'm Sorry Dot! I'm sorry everyone!!!! I've been so emotional lately!!!! I'm on my period.

IMaybe
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
:wave: I think when working on a painting and choosing a pastel, its color and value, with maybe value first. When buyiny new pastels, sometimes it may be depending on if there is a particular idea I have or subject in mind----it would be colors-----then it would be brands----I am building up my pastels in this way. sometimes I love to finish with the buttery ones, and sometimes I don't think of them at all.------but find I love all pastels. The old grumbackers are wonderful----color, degree of softness and shape and color-fastness, and i can't replace the ones I really like. What to do?

dvantuyl
04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Great poll. I had to choose between Color or Texture because both are equally important to me. I get very excited when I can get both in one pastel. I tried a few pastels Roche, and WOW. Great color AND wonderful texture. Now if they will only come down in price. Donna

kerrifleming
04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I choose "color" as well. It's always hard for me to find really deep, dark, rich colors. So I shop individually for those. Second - texture, which I buy the sets. My favorites so far are Girault - for color and texture; Sennelier - for texture; and final touches "Unison".
KOP - you are so funny! And what a great topic. Kerri

Pirami
04-05-2008, 12:43 AM
I select by value first. Then softness/texture, then color.

WC Lee
04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
hehe I chose availability, nothing else matters if I can't get my dusty hands on it :D otherwise, color is important.

artist_pw
04-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi:

This is an interesting question. Sure color is really important, but probably a more important concern for me is the quality of the pastel - since I almost never use the color straight from the particular stick - I nudge it around a lot. Of course, the price is another influence, and that's why I really try to wait for a good sale to get more supplies. Of course, if a gig takes me to a city where a sweet local art store is, like my way too fun Boston gig where I got to work right next to Fenway park in a building that was actually owned by the Red Socks (how fun is that!), and a block away from the so well supplied Dick Blick with an entire isle with so many pastel selections - it was better than Baskin Robbins! There, I got to get a few openstock samples of pastels like some Diane Townsends and a few additional Unisons, and some Sennilier discounted sets. Sweet! (Since then, the local Creative Coldsnow art stores here in the KCMO area have open stock Unisons available.)
Texture is in the mix too, though - I found that I really like the texture of Unisons and Mt Visions. I got a few sample Giraults from the convention last May, and I liked those too, but haven't had an opportunity to get any yet.

Snowbound
04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I looked at this poll when it first appeared, decided it was pointless and went on.

Dayle Ann

maw-t
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
availibility & price.. can we pick two? .. pleeeeeeeez... I use senns and rembrandt mostly cuz thats what I can get my hands on quickly & inexpensively with the H L coupons. When I get more advanced & rich from selling all these master pieces then my choice will be color & texture.. that is depending on if we CAN have 2 choices in the future... could you be more clear on that issue please??? :)

Colorix
05-15-2008, 03:18 PM
LOL, this *always* happens with polls. One spends time to formulate really good questions, and then everybody goes "oh, can you clarify" and "you didn't mention what I'd choose"... ;-D

Colour *and* Texture. But I voted colour, as that is my primary concern. And I want them lightfast, non-scratchy, and some hard and some soft and some supersofties. With the internet, I can order them from anywhere on the globe, so there is availability taken care of. (But not cost...) In my local store, which is of the size of the area inside the counter desk (where you pay) of an Utrecht store, I can get a *selection* of Schmincke and Rembrandt. Ah, you Americans don't know how lucky you are, to have these huge and well-stocked stores, and shipping free delivery... I'm green of envy, a Leaf Green. :-D