PDA

View Full Version : "New" ISGB Forum

BillBrach
07-05-2002, 07:50 AM
Does anybody KNOW why they changed the Forum software ?? Anything to do with more control of the content ??

One of the things that attracted me in the first place was the ease of use.

There seems to be two kinds of forums: those that are very plain, like most of the Usenet News Groups, and then there are the very complex ones like Wet Canvas and "New" ISGB.

Not all of us have DSL and the like, some of us are still on 56K modems and a forum like the old ISGB was perfect. I'm just a little bit suspicious of the "New" ISGB Forum, as I have never seen anybody complain about the old one, USE and DISPLAY-wise.

Thanks for letting me vent and GO WET CANVAS !!

Bill

Christopher Rice
07-05-2002, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I check in there once in a while, I dont' like the new forum either. To confusing. I don't think I will be checking in there any more. Not to much going on there anyways, I like this forum much better.
-pan

Dale_M
07-05-2002, 11:42 AM
Well....... there was many reasons from what I understand

The main one seems to be the "old" software just could not handle the capacity in number of users that were visiting the forum.

Though the format may be uncomfortable to some, it just may takes some getting use to...

Now you can edit a message after it is posted, where you could not before...

Now you can delete a message if it is in error or you just feel the post is no longer appropriate...

You have more control over the display format (options) than you had with the old software...

More latitude in message format, colors and graphics...

Better way to include graphics...

Old software did not support a "spell check".

PLEASE.....Do not take offense at next statements!....

If you are on the WEB and don't like change, maybe the WEB is not the place for you... Things change here daily, those who refuse to change will probably be left behind.

And the irony of it is you are using a forum that has a "format" very similar to the new ISGB forum format you are voicing displeasure with.

Dale

Mike E etc
07-05-2002, 12:20 PM
I this case I believe the extra complexity is a good thing. It is pushing me toward cable for sure. I do plan to make WC my base because the same complexity gets you more over here.:p ;)
Mike, connecting at 33600. E

wildfirelauri
07-05-2002, 01:41 PM
My understanding (if I'm capable of that) is that the membership and forum usage outgrew the former software. That's why there were so many forum outages. The forum will address these issues.

That being said, I do love the "feel" of this place. Very open and lots of fun. And I do like fun!

Glassy79
07-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Mike E etc
I this case I believe the extra complexity is a good thing. It is pushing me toward cable for sure. I do plan to make WC my base because the same complexity gets you more over here.:p ;)
Mike, connecting at 33600. E

Mike, I'm surprised your sick computer connects at all.

macbeth7
07-05-2002, 02:08 PM
Yes, Lauri is right -- that the membership outgrew the old forum software, causing service interruptions...& that this place is fun! :D

The new ISGB forum software does take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, & get your prefs set the way you prefer, it works pretty well. I'm sure they'll make adjustments as they go along as well.

Beth

Lara
07-05-2002, 03:34 PM
The layout of the new board is very similar to this WC board. I love having a spell check and being able to edit my posts. I hated the new forum first, but am more used to it now. Most forums are with a system like that.

Lara

Stacylynne
07-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Regarding the New ISGB FORUM....... I like it and am glad that they are trying to improve it the best way they can, by expanding.

I think we all need another place to let our hair down and park our butts. It is refreshing and new here, but, like anything else in this world things don't stay new forever, and we again could become complacent....... and I hope that wont happen here.

The Isgb and the WC are two great places that we can now go to and enjoy each others company, and learn from one another.

Another thing I feel is we humans are creatures of habit and change is hard on us all at times. When we become content in a certain corner, safe from the world and secure, its hard to change, We are all aware of how fast the computer world and the Internet can and has changed and we need to have patience and just let people get used to the new Isgb forum and this one. No one has to get off or stop using this new technology just because they have to take a little more time getting used to it. Thats ridiculous........... Oh one more thing I don't have anything new to show you all so I am going to start posting my sold stuff.. Maybe if I look at the beads long enough I can remember how to copy myself old beads on the way........Stacylynne :rolleyes::Dhttp://

BillBrach
07-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Dale_M
[B]Well....... there was many reasons from what I understand

The main one seems to be the "old" software just could not handle the capacity in number of users that were visiting the forum.

I don't buy this. I'll bet it was a hardware problem, not a software one.

Though the format may be uncomfortable to some, it just may takes some getting use to...

As humans we ABHOR change, I am no different than most but I am particularly fond of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality of software design.

Now you can edit a message after it is posted, where you could not before...

So what !! This is a casual forum, not legal briefs we are writing !!

Now you can delete a message if it is in error or you just feel the post is no longer appropriate...

Why would I want to delete a message ?? I might want to make a correction via a reply to my own thread, but never delete. Again, this is a casual forum. A new thread is started and off we go on to something else.

You have more control over the display format (options) than you had with the old software...

More latitude in message format, colors and graphics...

Better way to include graphics...

Old software did not support a "spell check".

I bet MOST people don't give a rat's behind about most of this. If you make an error spelling, SO WHAT. Again, it is a casual forum.

PLEASE.....Do not take offense at next statements!....

If you are on the WEB and don't like change, maybe the WEB is not the place for you... Things change here daily, those who refuse to change will probably be left behind.

None taken, I just happen to be a Software Developer for WebMD, so I guess I know my way around the Internet. In out department, we have a saying "Less is More", and the "New" ISGB Forum goes against that principle.

And the irony of it is you are using a forum that has a "format" very similar to the new ISGB forum format you are voicing displeasure with.

Yea, and I don't have a problem with the WC! Forum OR the "New" ISGB Forum. I was just asking WHY, as I had not seen anything on the old ISGB forum about problems. So far, I still don't know why they changed it except the greg was bored and wanted something to do.

If you've read this far, I apologize for ever asking the question, as all my question has done is provoke a lot of conjecture.

Bill

Glassy79
07-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by BillBrach

Yea, and I don't have a problem with the WC! Forum OR the "New" ISGB Forum. I was just asking WHY, as I had not seen anything on the old ISGB forum about problems. So far, I still don't know why they changed it except the greg was bored and wanted something to do.

If you've read this far, I apologize for ever asking the question, as all my question has done is provoke a lot of conjecture.

Bill

:clap: :clap: :clap: well said bill. I like the way you think. others might not, but i do. fivers to you

margaretz
07-05-2002, 06:39 PM
i liked the old ISGB forum better, the new one will take some getting used to.... i find that i'm spending more time here, though not by any concious choice to bail out of the ISGB forum... seems just a little more comfortable at WC.

Modesto
07-06-2002, 05:04 AM
Welcome to WC Bill:clap:

Please consider posting some of your work.:cool:

MariJohnson
07-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by margaretz
i liked the old ISGB forum better, the new one will take some getting used to.... i find that i'm spending more time here, though not by any concious choice to bail out of the ISGB forum... seems just a little more comfortable at WC.

Margaret,

I am feeling the same. I think part of the problem is that I've been extremely busy of late and now all of a sudden I go back to the forum and everything's changed again. We just had a major change a few months back. Add that to the fact that we now have this wonderful venue..WetCanvas! which I'm learning and just love, btw, and it adds up to too much/ too fast.

I thought the last change to the forum was for the purpose of increasing bandwidth and accomodating rapid growth in usage. though? For whatever reason, I'm sure Greg's doing his best, and its a time consuming effort, and is very commendable. I couldn't commit to it, I know that for sure.

And.. regarding change on the Internet... I 've been online for 10 years, so been there done that, and some times it's just too much change .. too fast. If the reasons haven't been made clear as to why, it's no wonder people are having trouble adjusting. That being said... I'll adjust to it, and eventually the "new Forum" will end up being another "old Forum" right? Can you tell I'm TRYING to keep an open mind about all this?

Mari