PDA

View Full Version : Tbd

BusterJay
04-03-2008, 02:11 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-03-2008/136591_Painting_10_(4).JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: TBD
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
After 2 and 1/2 months of not touching a brush I painted this one.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Just painted this one 03-29-08

Thanks

thomas w
04-03-2008, 08:28 AM
I like the reflection but I think it should extend a little further off the canvas.
Thomas W

Jodi B
04-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I agree, the trees are the same height in the reflection but different in the landscape. Still looks good though.

BusterJay
04-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah i understand what you guys are saying. I just seem to run out of canvas so quickly i tried to fit it all in there :)

tgsloth
04-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Here are a few thoughts:
I figure that's the moon (light is cool) but you need to draw its form super accurately as the eye goes right there. I believe you've mishandled the shape.
The trees and the rocks seems to have only two colors each. Some additions would enliven the painting. Try to put some blues in with the rocks and some different greens and perhaps purples in the trees.

Corby
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
A nice scene and the idea interpreting it is neat! The foliage though is rather disappointing as it has a Bob Ross sameness to it as if it were stenciled with a brush and is all the same. The trees should differ in color and frond shape from the underbrush. The suggestion of a mixture of color would also help this. You have a good beginning here, keep at it!

Clive Lutley
04-04-2008, 04:02 AM
Not for this one, but have a think about not having the light source (almost) dead centre. It gives more flexibility when working shadows and light reflections and improves the composition. In your painting the foliage would normally almost be a silhouette with the light source as it is. CLM referred to Bob Ross and his style is still showing in your painting although you have moved on. Iím the last person to criticise Mr. Rossís technique but his paintings all have a certain ďflavourĒ and this is showing through here which distracts from itís originality.

BusterJay
04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
wow, I really thank you all for your comments. I notice that some of you mention a certain type or style of painting like Bob Ross.

In all honestly I have never taken an art class or painting class.
I have learned how to paint using the wet on wet technique simply by only watching Bob Ross videos. I believe i have witched like 5 seasons :)

In one way I am glad you can see the similiarities, it means I was paying attention to my teacher(Bob Ross)

Since this was my only source of teaching I wanted to become good at it and also add my own touch of creativity.

I have also tried still life. It was so hard I will upload a picture soon.

Thanks,

Jay