PDA

View Full Version : Still life in oil

billmahler
04-02-2008, 01:08 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-02-2008/111636_magnoliaoil.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still life in oil
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My first still life in oil.
Someone saw one of my earlier paintings and requested one like it.
I used a similar setup, but a much different viewpoint and light setup to suit the client.
I posted this in WIP, got some ideas and decided to change the lighting of the set up.
Definitely in a minor key, but that's the way it looked to me.
Next one will be brighter!
The foto is a bit darker than the painting, but not much, but it is fuzzier.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Client likes it, and I do too.

Is it too somber?

Spyderbabe
04-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Not at all, there is a serene beauty to it.

D.W. Flint
04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Beautiful job. If you both like it, that's the main thing. I would have preferred less of the table top and covering. It draws away from the main focal point. Just my two cents worth...

tgsloth
04-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Is it too somber, you ask. Ask Adobe:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2008/124239-111636_magnoliaoil.jpg

I think this one's in the eye of the beholder. I'm for the brighter, more contrasty version but I don't think there's any artistic argument to make against a more muted treatment. And hey, if the customer likes it, we get enough money to buy more paint and canvas!

Think how good Rembrandt would have been if he had photoshop.

Corby
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
A good artist cannot help but convey the spirit of his subject. Despite beautiful color and value and care with shape, the flowers just do not speak to me beyond their origin as imitation blooms. That is their spirit, stiff, slightly awkward as if glued together (which they are). people enjoy imitation arrangements. I do myself, so it is no surprise that some one would accept the spirit of the arrangement with no thought of anything being amiss in the painting. Do your abilities justice Bill and work from the real... when working from imitation if one must, it is necessary to keep in mind the characteristics of the actual plant, Drop some petals, bug hole some leaves, give them some dew drops and some natural looking accidents...anything to express reality/

MRSBB
04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Bill. It is a pretty painting and I'm glad you and your client are happy with it. IMHO it is not even close to the way the acrylic painting speaks to me. I guess because I put you in the "Great Artist" catagory I am always expecting a master piece. Keep having fun..........Lenore

billmahler
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks to all for looking and commenting.

TG -Thank you for the digital look. I like the Adobe version and I had that level of contrast for a while, but I purposely knocked down the values here to get a quiet mood.

Lenore - thanks for the "Great Artist" compliment. I can't think of anything anyone could call me that would make me happier, except - "Grandpa." I purposely tried to go off in another direction with the set up here, and I'm glad I did. Next time, I hope I ring the bell with you because I value your judgement.

Corby - that Hawkeye never misses, does it! They do look a bit plastic, after all. I'll leave this one as is, and I'll use fresh ones for the next floral setup. It will make me work more quickly, which will be a plus!

keenart
04-03-2008, 02:08 AM
I like this piece and the way it looks. Reminds me of the older style paintings that hung in my great aunts house.