PDA

View Full Version : Fourth of July Poll

b2beads
07-04-2002, 11:37 PM
OK, this is only VERY loosely related to working with glass...

First I'll say I LOVE 4th of July and what it represents, but I HATE fireworks. Yes, I am a wimp. But I live in a town that lets you shoot them off in your front yard from July 3 - 5. Now, not only have we had NO rain in a zillion days, but I've got large tanks of propane sitting in my backyard. Yes, I know, I'm overcautious...possibly. But I wondered if I'm the ONLY one that worries about these kinds of things?

About a week ago, 2 miles from my house, an irate exhusband/boyfriend took the hose from his ex's propane tank, put it in through the dryer vent, turned on the propane, and set the house on fire... Fortunately, both the woman and her mother, who were at home at the time, got out. But not a dang thing left of the house...

Thinking natural gas is looking more and more appealing...

B2

macbeth7
07-04-2002, 11:59 PM
I like fireworks, but doggie does not. She never used to be bothered by them, but she's gotten more ornery in her old age...kinda like her Mama! ;) Right now I'm trying to concentrate on typing while everything that makes noise in the house is on...tvs, radios, acs, fans...we try to drown it out as much as we are able.

Between ours & the ones in NYC & also all of the surrounding towns, we get a lot of them....not to mention all the yahoos setting them off outside! I don't know what the law is, but I don't think anybody gets hassled for it.

I think they are probably best left to professionals, & even then extra caution must be take in drought conditions, even to the extent of cancellation.

I also wonder if maybe the money wouldn't be better spent on other things...

Beth

mlou
07-05-2002, 12:15 AM
As I watched the fireworks here in Ohio I was actually wondering if they had been cancelled in the dry areas! Long ago I loved to set off my own but at some point you DO have to wonder all the what ifs and I certainly don't think they should have them in the areas where these crazy fires are of concern!!! Happy Fourth!
mlou

Laura Brito
07-05-2002, 12:44 AM
We don't have them this yet....but that is ok, after all Arizona has enough fire to go around for a while....:crying:

margaretz
07-05-2002, 01:07 AM
This year's 4th has definitely been strange... very quiet. I actually haven't heard a single firework go off today, since every display in town has been cancelled. For that I'm thankful, since it scares my dog to no end. Besides, this year A. Mountain won't catch on fire like it always does.
Happy Independence Day, all.

mlou
07-05-2002, 01:17 AM
Beth,
Thank goodness for your friend!!! How did they know and get out in time??

With all the talk about dogs-I had a friend when I was young that had a "crazy" dog and it died on the 4th because of the fireworks!! So, if you can now stop your neighbors from smoking in their yard in some places it seems fireworks ought to be a done deal if so many dogs are bothered by it!!

I also think any city should have better things to spend the money on also, not to mention the dangerous conditions in the placs where these fireworks are made.

Strange, I used to be SUCH an advocate!!
mlou

Modesto
07-05-2002, 06:17 AM
Hey B2,

Congratulations on your award:clap:

It's been raining here everyday for 3 weeks, not much chance of a fire. We now have a small (and growing) pool of water in our backyard...Alligators always show up when that happens.:eek:

cankeep
07-05-2002, 08:35 AM
I've always loved fireworks! I didn't get out to see any in person this year but flipped the TV back and forth between the show in Boston and the New York show. Both were spectacular! The guy who designed the show in Boston is a real artist, like painting the sky with music and light! The way he chose the particular types of fireworks and the timing went right along with the music, it was like being able to see the music written in the sky! I'm still amazed and humbled at the thought of someone having such talent. Still it must be a little hard since the only time he can actually see the result of his compositions is when there's a big event.
I just had a mental image of him working at home setting off fireworks as he practices his art....imagine his neighbors!
:D
It would be worse than the guy who moved next door to me (I love out in the woods, a very rural community) and decided to strip cut all the trees from his land. He moved from Arizona and can't stand all the trees here! Now that I think of it, he has been setting off fireworks a lot for the past three days....I hope he hasn't decided to take up a new hobby!:p

Glassy79
07-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by mlou
As I watched the fireworks here in Ohio I was actually wondering if they had been cancelled in the dry areas! Long ago I loved to set off my own but at some point you DO have to wonder all the what ifs and I certainly don't think they should have them in the areas where these crazy fires are of concern!!! Happy Fourth!
mlou

where in Ohio?

mlou
07-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Richard,
I am in a suburb of Columbus, heavily residential so you never know where the things will land:) BUT, I don't ever recall us having these flash fires! Are you from here? I am trying hard to get out and move to NH! Where in CT are you, we drive through every time we visit NH?
mlou

Glassy79
07-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Richard,
I am in a suburb of Columbus, heavily residential so you never know where the things will land:) BUT, I don't ever recall us having these flash fires! Are you from here? I am trying hard to get out and move to NH! Where in CT are you, we drive through every time we visit NH?
mlou

The reason I ask is because i'm going to columbus (Reynoldsburg) to a marble show at the end of the month. I was in New Philly in feb, another marble show. I'm hoping to shoot up towards tolido to see a couple of glass blowers friends up that way. Thats why I asked.

mlou
07-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Yikes!!! I am less than 10 minutes away!!! We are leaving to go on vacation somewhere in the end of July! Please let me know the function dates and where??? I would LOVE to come and meet you! I just hope it is before we leave! I don't do marbles as of now, but who knows...I am very interested in making door and drawer knobs for our new home! Let me know!!!
mlou

Glassy79
07-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Yikes!!! I am less than 10 minutes away!!! We are leaving to go on vacation somewhere in the end of July! Please let me know the function dates and where??? I would LOVE to come and meet you! I just hope it is before we leave! I don't do marbles as of now, but who knows...I am very interested in making door and drawer knobs for our new home! Let me know!!!
mlou

The show is July 31, aug 1,2,3. room sales are the first 3 days. last day we are in the hall with table set ups.

JavaGirlBT
07-06-2002, 10:06 AM
Richard,
mlou

Hi mlou,
:clap: I'm in NH! I love it here! Where do you visit? Where are you planning on moving to? So cool to talk to someone about NH!
-Ellen

Janell
07-06-2002, 11:41 AM
Where in Columbus is the Marble show? Im only about 2 hours away would love to go.
Janell

Glassy79
07-06-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Janell
Where in Columbus is the Marble show? Im only about 2 hours away would love to go.
Janell

The show is in Reynoldsburg at the Lenox Inn, Rt. 70 & Route 256 I'll be getting there on Weds with Nick Bartlet. Mike Edmondson will get there on friday. The show it'self is Saturday. Room trading is from weds till friday night. the show is on the 3rd. I'll get there the 31th of july

mlou
07-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Glassy,
Sorry, I will defintely be gone all of those days. Bummed-NOT!! Have fun!! You will be visiting the home of the LOVE APPLE! We call them tomatoes:)LOL
mlou

mlou
07-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Ellen,
sshhh! NO ONE is supposed to actually WANT to live there and that is one of the things I like best about it!! I have relatives in Contoocook but we have been all over the state and LOVE it! We would like to live in the White Mountains!!Where are you?? Tell me all you want, it's my second favorite subject!!
mlou

JavaGirlBT
07-06-2002, 10:39 PM
:D I live in southern NH, near Nashua. I love being an hour from Boston, an hour from the mountains, and an hour from the ocean! There's also a great bead store only about 1/2 hour from me and they rent torch time! I'm working on my own set up, but I'm doing it gradually, so it doesn't hurt my wallet as much.
-Ellen

mlou
07-06-2002, 10:55 PM
I know where you are! I'm going to be the soon:) I can't wait to get out of the "swamp" for a while!! Can you tell me where the bead store is?
mlou

JavaGirlBT
07-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Can you tell me where the bead store is?
mlou

Sure! It's in Windham, NH and it's called Glass Cat Beads. It's about a mile and a half west of 93 off exit 3. If you haven't been there, definitely check it out. They've got glass, tools, lots of vintage beads, seeds and delicas. I love it there.
-Ellen