PDA

View Full Version : April Pastel Strokes

Merethe T
04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the April 2008 Pastel Strokes!

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
* The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also a thread in the Soft Pastel Studio with a link to the Pastel Talk project link.
* Interested participants create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.
* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Have fun with it!
* You may paint as many versions as you like, and they may be any size.

For April I've picked out two of my still life photo's, each with their own challenges. I look forward to see what you do with them -
hope you'll enjoy them and are ready to paint! :)

Merethe

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2008/22081-IMG_5186_x500.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2008/22081-IMG_5872_x500.jpg

LoveFaces
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Those both look like a lot of fun to try :)

Little Dragon
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
The gears are already spinning in my head trying to work out the process for these. They are wonderful challenges. Thank you

Scratchboy
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
man I love this!!!!!!!!!!
the ideas are already flowing, this so cool

RooGal
04-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I've been looking forward to this since I saw the "hint" Kathryn dropped in a previous thread. Thanks for hosting Merethe! Those plums look yummy.

bluemoonstar
04-02-2008, 01:47 AM
I may just crack open my new set of pastels for this one & try to figure out what to do with them - lovely images!

Merethe T
04-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm glad you like them! I love to see how different we can be in interpretation of an image - look forward to see yours...! :)

Merethe

CM Neidhofer
04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok...I guess I'm the first!! Started this morning and just couldn't stop. Tried to walk away twice to give it some "space," kept coming back to it to finish it!! I am really happy with how this turned out. :) I may attempt the eggs yet, not sure. Sooooo many colors in them there eggs!! :p Thanks for the wonderful refs, Cravia. I've had a very artful day! C & C's always appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2008/40633-April_2008_Pastel_Strokes_finished.jpg

Christine

Little Dragon
04-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Awesome job Christine. I can see the juicyness (sp?) in those plums. They look tasty. The bowl seems kindof flat inside, specially toward the right, but great work overall.

LoveFaces
04-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Ok, here's mine...and it's my very first still life. I'm self-taught and started with portraits and that's what I've always done, so this was very new for me. I also take lousy pictures, partly because I have ms and partly because I have zero aptitude for it. (My pictures weren't all that hot before the ms :lol:) So I apologize for it being slightly fuzzy. I'll recruit my husband to do a better one for me tomorrow when he's awake.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2008/136197-eggs52.jpg

CM Neidhofer
04-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Very nice, Nina! Love the colors and the fabric looks so silky!! I'm still debating whether I want to try this one or not. I'm back to work and probably won't have time until next week's days off again. Anyway, great job! :clap:

Christine

LoveFaces
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Thank you Christine :) The actual picture is much warmer than this photo makes it seem. I took the picture last night, with a flash! ack! So it's a bit off in that it looks whiter and a little washed out. I'll hopefully have a better picture to post today, but I was impatient so I posted it last night with the 'not-so-good' one.

If you're thinking about trying the eggs, you should! There are so many colors to play with for it, it was fun. But no worries, it wasn't very time consuming at all. A few hours and you'll have a happy new painting to go with your other April still life :lol: Your nectarines look so juicy and vivid..you did a lovely job that I'm sure the eggs would look great, too.

Merethe T
04-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow, you're fast! And with great success - beautiful paintings!

Christine - you should be happy, the plums look so delicious and juicy! I love the reds, rich and luscious...the front plum has a wonderful wetness, I feel like taking a bite of it! The bowl could do with a little more definition in the whites. I see the strong light in the ref has washed out all colors, might be the case in the photo of your painting too? Beautiful painting!! Don't you just love it when a painting just flows....? :)

Nina - delicate painting! The soft colors really work well for this, beautiful transitions in light / shadow, good job! Painting whites like that ain't easy...the fabric is lovely too, love the silky look! I painted another photo from the same shoot (usually I'll en up with 150 - 200 photos from one session...:D), and I had a hard time keeping the colors delicate, I kept reaching for stronger colors. You had better success at that...gorgeous work!
Did the experience inspire more still-life's...? ;)

I'm so glad you enjoyed the photo's - I sure love your results! :)

Merethe

LoveFaces
04-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Merethe Thank you!! I had a lot of fun with it so yes, it definitely inspired me to try more. (Besides, my mother asked me to do another picture of the eggs but in blue hues instead to match her kitchen :lol:. Only a mom can get away with that.) I find whites fun because they are a challenge. I always love when a model is wearing white since sooo many colors wind up in there. What's funny is I used exactly zero pure white in this egg picture. Every pastel I used was a color...the 'whites' were just very pale pinks, yellows, and purples..oh and pale greens even. I had started with a pure white for that strip where the fabric is highlighted just behind the right-most egg and it looked horrendous. It stuck out like a sore thumb and I got rid of it immediately. Pure white can be almost weirdly flat the way pure black so often is (to me).

Thank you so much for providing these pictures and thank you for opening me up to a whole different kind of subject matter. I'll post the 'blue' one when it's done. It shouldn't be long. I did this first one while sitting on my couch watching American Idol last night :o. It was so comfy. I tossed a big blanket over my couch so it wouldn't get pastel dust all over, threw together a box of the pastels I thought I'd use, got my clip on Ott-Lite light rigged to a tv tray, and had a lovely time :D

RooGal
04-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Holy crow! I can't believe how fast you both worked.

Christine - luscious plums. a wonderful job on the flesh, making them look so juicy.

Nina - those eggs look so delicate on the fabric.....wonderful shadows throughout and lovely job on the fabric itself.

LoveFaces
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Thank you Pam!

CM Neidhofer
04-03-2008, 09:16 PM
[quote=Cravia]
Christine - The bowl could do with a little more definition in the whites. I see the strong light in the ref has washed out all colors, might be the case in the photo of your painting too? Beautiful painting!! Don't you just love it when a painting just flows....? :)

[Merethe /quote]

Yes, the photo did wash out the bowl. It looks much quieter IRL. There is a very light yellow and a very light blue, along with cream in that bowl. You can see them IRL. So, yes, I just loved working on this and how it turned out.

Christine

K Taylor-Green
04-03-2008, 09:29 PM
These are both so good!!! This month is off to a good start!

Scratchboy
04-04-2008, 01:18 AM
I usually rub the chalk on my fingers then apply it to the picture, but I tried rubbing the stick directly on to the paper this time and layer it with colored pencils. The drawing is rough, I like the texture. hope this is okay, you folks are really kind with your comments
thanks Chuck
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2008/127896-apples_in_grass_plate005.jpg

purplehorse
04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi,
These are beautiful photos, and the paintings are beautiful too. I would like to join this months challenge and paint the eggs. This is something I've been wanting to try for awhile, but the all white has been a little intimidating so this will be a good time to experiment with it. I may not get anything posted right away because I'm pretty slow since I haven't used pastels that long, but I will be working on it.

Donna

Judibelle
04-04-2008, 12:47 PM
hi...I love the 2 photos for this month, would like to join in, and am working on the plums. I'm still new to pastel, and havent really got the 'hang of it' yet, but I'll keep on working with it...
the work so far looks great. Christyart's plums and LovewFace's eggs all look good enough to eat! Scratchboy, yours has an interesting effect for sure.
Will post mine when it is 'ready'...soon i hope.
JB

LoveFaces
04-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Thank you, Judibelle! Good luck to you and Donna. The eggs were really fun. I'm in the middle of a second version, in blue hues, thanks to my mother :lol: It was new for me, too, but only in subject matter. But since you both are either new to pastels or rusty, I can give you a few hints.

Rarely, if ever, use pure white. A touch of some color, or a very pale off-white for your lightest places, I think makes whites look more 'natural'. Also, if you typically use a drawing paper like Canson Mi-Tientes, Stonehenge, etc. and you find you are having difficulty getting crisp lines when you want them or your picture feels 'smudgy', try a sanded surface. LaCarte by Sennelier, Wallis, and Colourfix are three good examples or if you like a sturdy board, Pastelbord is great, too. Wallis is pretty rough, the LaCarte is made with dried vegetable flakes and although it's 'rough' it has a smoother feel under your fingers. The Colourfix is probably the least rough. My personal favorites are the LaCarte and Pastelbord. A word of caution with the LaCarte, don't get it wet! If you decide to try that paper, even spit from blowing on it can cause accidental lifting of that vegetable flake. Also, inspect the piece before buying it to make sure there's no missing spots. It's delicate in those respects, but it's a beautiful surface and I love it despite it's persnickety-ness. Many pastelists love papers like Canson and Stonehenge, including me. I'm just saying that if you find you are frustrated with not being able to get a crisp edge when you want one or simply if you've never tried a sanded surface, you may find you love them. They are different than regular papers in that you really have to be willing to put down several layers. The first layer is usually pretty weak looking, but don't fret. Add another layer (or two) and it will start to look beautiful. You don't have to use the same color for each layer. In fact, it's probably better if you don't, but instead use some hues related to whatever your final color is and build up that color with the related hues. It can help give depth to your picture and make the colors more interesting and 'rich' looking.

So there's my two cents, lol. I'll have my blue eggs up in a day or two, if life cooperates :).

Judibelle
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
thanks for the hints, Lovefaces...
i do have the Mi-tientes paper, but will certainly get some of the Colorfix, which I am familiar with. I am finding the Mi-tientes difficult to get a smooth finish on. But I think I've been using the more textured side.
Anyway, here is my attempt at the plums. I have a combination of Rembrandts and some assorted other soft colors which were hand-me-downs. I also bought recently a set of Nupastels, which I like, and a set of something called Gallery semi-hard, and Marie's soft, neither of which I am finding useful to work with...
and here is my attempt at the plums...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2008/103700-scan0003.jpg_plums.jpg
Always appreciate comments..
JB

Merethe T
04-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Nina - sounds like you had a good ol' time, makes me think of how lucky we are - recreation while creating a beautiful painting. :) I look forward to see the blue version too, your mom's one lucky lady...

Scratchboy - nice work! Mixing CP's and pastels are a hard combination, due to the wax in CP's, but you can get interesting textures. Have you considered doing an all pastel version - to experience the difference in textures and finish...? ;)

Donna - glad you're joining us, I look forward to see the eggs!

JB - lovely work, beautiful colors! I'm glad you joined us! :) We're in a learning process all the time, all of us - each on different levels...to me that is part of what makes art and pastels so rewarding and fun, there's always something new to discover!

With Canson is hard to get the smooth finish, especially the rough side. I use La Carte most of the time on still life's, but Colorfix will give you a smooth look too. Canson requires a little more planning, as it can't take to much erasing, but the "wrong" side can give you a beautiful finish too. Experiment, it's fun and we learn something new every time. :)

Merethe

Scratchboy
04-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks Judibelle, it is kinda of a rough painting or drawing. I wasn't sure whether to post it or not. there are some really talented people here, great role models

Scratchboy
04-05-2008, 06:05 PM
very cool i LIKE THIS ALOT

Scratchboy
04-05-2008, 06:07 PM
VERY NICE i LIKE THE SHADOWS ON THE TOP

Scratchboy
04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Really like your painting, where do you get this paper, it's beautiful

drapes4u
04-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Here's my first attempts at still lifes - great photos to work from and it was lotsa fun - though I am very humbled by submissions already in!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2008/129317-Just_Eggs.jpg

drapes4u
04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
And now the nectarines!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2008/129317-Just_Necterines.jpg

LoveFaces
04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
drapes4u those both look beautiful! :clap:

LoveFaces
04-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Judibelle, the Canson paper either side is more difficult to work on if you want crispness. I love the LaCarte like Merethe, just remember the mantra don't get it wet :lol: But, crispness isn't always the goal. I like your loose, flowy style. A lot of very beautiful pastels pictures have their strokes quite visible like yours.

Regarding the Gallery semi-hard and Marie's the reason you are finding them not-so-helpful is this. When you look at any stick of pastel, they look about the same for comparable colors, meaning that a cobalt blue will look more or less like cobalt blue in each brand. However, what happens in student grade or less expensive brands (this is true for paints as well) is that they use a lot of filler in order to use less of the expensive pigment that makes up the color. Also in pastels, cheaper ones use calcium carbonate which is ....gasp, chalk! Chalk filler makes the pastel hard and not nearly as rich as the ones that don't use it. With student grade materials, you still see the color and it looks like the color you want, but there is much, much less pigment by comparison so when you apply it to paper (or the paint to canvas, etc...) you won't get the richness you are expecting.

I'm not surprised you like the NuPastels. They have a higher pigment load than the Gallery. (NuPastels are semi-hard as well) Pastels can be painfully expensive, I know. Some options if you're on a budget (who isn't?) are something like Sennelier half-stick sets. You can find good deals on-line or maybe your local store has good sales, if you're lucky to live near one. Senneliers are really soft. I haven't tried Rembrandt brand but I've heard good things and they are on the less expensive end of things, and I believe they come in half stick sets as well. Now if you want to go crazy on the other end of the spectrum, go for Roche (delicious...yum!) but they sell for the painful price of $12.00-$25.00 a stick!

Little Dragon
04-06-2008, 02:15 AM
OK, I finished the first one tonight. I have to admit I was a little intimidated by all the awesome paintings I've seen on here but this is the only way to learn so I went for it. I treated myself to some actual Pastel paper today for the first time. I bought some Mi Tienes and a Strathmore Pastel pad which I did this one on. I used Nupastels and Conte pastel pencils.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2008/31049-Plums.jpg

Judibelle
04-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Drapes4U...they are both beautiful! I love the effect you got on the eggs...looks almost like oils, to me.
Little Dragon...nothing to be intimidated by there! Your work is lovely, I love the folds you and drapes4U got in the material...
Lovefaces...I appreciate your comments. I didnt realize there are 'student grade' pastels. (guess I should have, though, as they were much less expensive than the 'good' ones.) I'm aware of the student grade watercolors, and have steered clear of them when I was rying out watercolors.. The Rembrandts I have are half sticks, and I do like them.
In the hand-me-down used pastels I was given, there are some Roches and Senneliers . lots of small pieces of various 'good' pastels. I do find myself drawn to them when I want a particular color or effect.
Am looking forward to trying to do the eggs... we'll see...
JB

LoveFaces
04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
OMG! you got hand-me-down Roches? /faint

LoveFaces
04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Little Dragon Your picture is beautiful. It looks like you could reach out and eat that fruit. :clap:

Mario V
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Enjoyed working on this one:). Thanks Merethe:thumbsup:. Looking forward to next weekend and the eggs.

paper: La Carte 9x12 black
pastels: Rembrant and some Sennelier

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2008/133719-sljive.jpg

Judibelle
04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Mario...beautifully done. I love the texture in the material...
Lovefaces.. Guess I should explain that these pastels are old, and given to a friend of mine when the artist, who was a really good artist, passed away. My friend had no use for them, so handed them down to me. They were in a wooden box, amd many are small and unmarked...but many are marked, and they are good pastels. I am only now appreciating the full extent of that gift!
JB

Mario V
04-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Christine: Very very nice and juicy :clap:. Great inspiration for me to start working on this painting. Which pastels did you use?

Loveface: Eggs are toooo real. Beautiful :thumbsup:. Which paper & pastels did you use?

Judibelle: Nice pick of colors :). Hope you wanted plate to be smaller than on the photo:rolleyes:

drapes4you: Unbelivable!!! I adore both paintings. How did you get the oil-painting-look? Composition a bit off for my taste

Little Dragon: Very nice plums :), especially the whole one. Like the cloth as well. Your bowl fits better to plums than the plate on the photo;). Background might be a bit less black.

drapes4u
04-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Mario!
You are absolutely correct about the composition. Interesting how as an artist I can miss something so basic. It takes an outsider to spot the obvious so often. Thanks for the input!
Wendy

CM Neidhofer
04-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Christine: Very very nice and juicy :clap:. Great inspiration for me to start working on this painting. Which pastels did you use?

I used a mix of pastels...NuPastel, Rembrandt, Schminke, Senneliers and the background and that lovely grayed green I used are Terry Ludwig pastels.

Christine

LoveFaces
04-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Judibelle I'm sorry to heard the way in which you inherited your pastels but what an amazing gift to pass on to you. Even if they are old or have labels missing, it doesn't matter. Pastels are easy enough to clean off and half the time mine break and I wind up with smaller pieces that have no label so I'm not always sure when I go to replace one exactly which one it is. I keep the label when it falls off which it invariably does and then I try to match the stub to the reside color left inside. :) I can usually match them up but I've been off once or twice and wound up buying a whole new color. They're happy accidents, though. If you use an unlabeled one up just keep the little stub of it and try to match it as best you can. If it's close it's probably good enough and all their colors are so delicious that if what you replace is slightly off? Oh well, you still have a beautiful color.

Mario The eggs are on LaCarte paper Sienna color. I cut a piece off to about 8"x10" (I didn't measure so I'm just guesstimating). I use mostly Roche pastels but I used 2 Terry Ludwig darks, 1 Unison - A57 (it's a muted purplish color), 2 Art Spectrum extra soft lightest lights - Flinder's Blue Violet and Warm Gray (but the Extra Soft really light ones, not the regularly pigmented ones), and Great American Art Works - Earl Grey, Moss, and Merlot. But to break it down about 25 colors were Roche and all combined the rest were 8 or so. I can list the Roche #s if you'd like but I won't bore you with it unless you want me to. :lol:

That's probably a lot of different colors for such a small picture, but I love layers and I tend to alter the color slightly for each layer. Maybe other people work that way, too. Since I'm self-taught I don't have any measuring stick to say what's a 'typical' number of colors to use lol.

bluemoonstar
04-07-2008, 01:29 AM
These are so well done! Christine, you really captured the juiciness of those plums. Nina, really nice job on the eggs - very nice color choices & beautiful textures. Everyone's are so interesting - all the different styles & techniques. I just started using pastels - I didn't know you could use the back side for a smoother surface - I've been working on the rough side & not really satisfied with the results. Oh well, as they say, "back to the drawing board!"

upast
04-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Your eggs are beautiful, Love faces. I can't quite believe it's your first still life but your portraiture skills are obviously helpful here. I am trying this one myself but find the shading and blending very difficult.

LoveFaces
04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
John Absolutely doing portraits makes a huge difference. I'm not a novice, just a novice with still-life. It's simply because I'm self-taught that I never had a teacher make me do anything other than what I wanted to do. I've always been drawn (pun intended) to people so that's all I've ever done. The blending of the eggs was exactly the same to me as blending subtle areas of skin tones. Where a cheek turns away from the light source is just like how the shadow on the egg turns. And fabric folds on the table are like fabric folds on a person, just that on a person they are following the contour of the figure. There were much more similarities than differences I discovered.

Which part are you having more trouble with...the eggs or the fabric?

Kitty69
04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Seems that the nectarines are the favourites at the moment!

Christyart, LoveFaces, Scratchboy, Judibelle, Drapes4u, Little Dragon and mvuk: all great paintings! Love the juicyness of the nectarines and the great eggs.

It has been a while since I posted in this forum, I have been busy with the Postcard Exchange project and other things. But I had to try the nectarines. Beautiful pictures Merethe! This is my painting, painted on Canson mi-teintes (smooth side) with selection of pastels, mainly Rembrandts and Schmincke.

Greetings, Kitty

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2008/102043-Nectarines.jpg

Luvy
04-08-2008, 06:06 PM
It's been a while since I've done one of the projects here. But thought why not. I need to get drawing more and need inspiration. Love seeing everyone's work.
So here's my painting. I did it a couple of days ago but haven't had the time to get back to uploading it.

I faked the material. I'm not good on cloth. I need to practice that. Maybe I'll try the eggs next. *S*

CM Neidhofer
04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
After looking at this for a few days, and at everyone's suggestions, I decided to tone down the bowl some. Although I did kind of like the contrast of the stark white bowl. Anyway, I just added more reflected color. Let me know what you think, please.

Christine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2008/40633-Nectarines_2.jpg

upast
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
LoveFaces - I found both eggs and fabric difficult. I had to do a lot of blending and was trying hard not too get the colours muddy. Anyway, this is my attempt. It's on Colourfix 13"9" , mostly Unison pastels. Not sure if it's finished - I'll probably do more fiddling tomorrow, but that's it for today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2008/7783-eggscompressed.jpg

helenh
04-09-2008, 03:04 PM
This is my first post. I am pretty new to pastels. I thought I'd try the eggs because I always have difficulty with fabric folds. The colors on the computer are not quite in sync with the painting. What appears quite orange is actually more of a peachy color. Your critiques are sincerely invited. All I'm looking for is to improve. This was done on Colorfix paper tone with a wash in violet (made from pastel dust from another painting and then gone over with a soft brush and a little water). I used Nu pastels and Rembrandts.

LoveFaces
04-09-2008, 03:37 PM
John I think you did a good job. Something I used to do until someone told me was don't be afraid of your darks or to go too dark. I tended to make everything mid-range and even if what I was seeing was quite dark, I made it much lighter and milder so I will pass on the same thing to you. It looks good and you did a good job with the proportions. All you need to do is go back and use those darks where you are seeing them in the reference photo. I used to be afraid of "ruining" a picture by using darks..I don't know if that's part of what holds you back, but you won't ruin it. If you use those darks it will really pop and make your pretty highlights stand out so much more.

For the dark areas I used kind of a strange combination of very dark purple, as well as some dark to mid-range earth tones and even dark green in a few places. The main dark colors were Roche 2221, 4723, 4825, 2143, Great American Artworks Merlot 275.3, and a dark Terry Ludwig purple, but it's not a bright purple at all...it's a muted reddish purple but the stick looks almost black until you use it. It came in his Intense Darks II set, but it doesn't have a name as far as I can tell. But, you can find all of those pastels here http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tabid/365/List/1/CategoryID/4405/Level/a/Default.aspx

I gave you this link for two reasons. They're the only store that sells the Roches but also they have each color for every brand individually scanned in so you can see the colors clearly. Hopefully you can find comparable colors within the pastels you already own or at least give you an idea of what I did with mine.

I hope this helps :)

Nina

Judibelle
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Kitty, Luvy, and Christyart, your plums all good good enoughto eat! All niuely done...
Uppast and helnh, love the different colors in the interpretations of the eggs.
I have been working on the eggs, but am getting frustrated with the material folds. And when I get the color I want for the eggs, it seems the shapes are off, and when I'm satisfied with the shapes, the color is off!
So I'll just keep trying til I give up and post them anyway...!
It's a great challenge, and the ref photo is so beautiful...Love it...
JB

Merethe T
04-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Ah, you're keeping busy - great work all! :thumbsup:

drapes4u - great eggs! Look at all those colors - wonderful! Beautiful work on the plums, I love the painterly style....beautiful color in the fabric too, nice frame for the fruits. And the plums look delicious!

little dragon - no need to feel intimidated! Your painting is beautiful! Interesting to see a different format. Yummy plums!! How did you like the paper?

Mario - nice work!! Great colors, the green looks good against the reds, and I like the texture in the fabric. Look forward to see the eggs.... :)

Kitty - welcome back! Lovely painting, yummy!

Luvy - glad to have you onboard! Beautiful work, the shadows are great! I like how the plums fade into the shadows in the back. Great reds! Now how about them eggs.....? ;)

Christine - I still think it's a beautiful painting! I like strong contrasts too, if you like it better with more whites - keep it white..but a bit of reflected color just to suggest the shapes of the bowl is nice. Plums still juicy, eye-catching piece...

John - lovely work! It looks great with cooler colors. I find eggs and fabric hard too, and it's so easy to "overblend"...but you have nice transitions between light and shadow, works well!

helenh - welcome to the Pastel forum, glad you joined in! Nice work, very refreshing with those bold colors!

I'm glad everyone seem to enjoy the pics, I'm having a great time seeing all the different styles! Thanks for joining! :)

Merethe

upast
04-10-2008, 09:07 AM
LoveFaces - thanks for the advice. I notice, too, looking back at the photo on this website that there is much more contrast than I have in the photo that I printed out, so I'll get to work on those dark areas! That's a great link to what looks like a great place to buy pastels, but since I live in the UK I would be scared of the amount of import duty they would add for sending pastels here.
Anyway, it's great learning experience for all of us,

Thanks again,

Judibelle
04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
well, I've worked, re-worked, and probably way over-worked the eggs and background. I still dont 'get' how to do the draping material, which is so sloft and flow-y in the photo. Anyway, am posting , and may try to start all over again and try a different tactic...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2008/103700-scan0003.jpg__April_eggs.jpg
JB

helenh
04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I keep trying to insert an image of my work in my text, but it never comes through. All I can do is add an attachment thumbnail. I followed the instructions. It just doesn't work. Any ideas?

Helen

upast
04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
JUDIBELLE_ You are getting there. At least you got the eggs to have the right angles which I failed to do. Have you tried blending the colours by rubbing the surface with your fngers? It doesn't look like it from the photo. I could be wrong but I think you need a lot of blending to get the smoothness of the cloth and eggs.

upast
04-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Helen - it's hard to know what to tell you. You click on the 'Insert Picture' icon above the message box and then browse to where you have saved the photo. When you open this you should see an URL (not the photo) in your message. When you preview the message you should then see the actual photo in your message. Oh, and give it some time to upload.

upast
04-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Helen PS. You might have to reduce the size of the photo to about 400x300 pixels or 100kb. Not sure if rule still stands? You can do that in photoshop 'Save for Web'.

Mario V
04-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Helen, follow the link How to insert pictures (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/496/)

helenh
04-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I've done all of the things you all have suggested, but nothing happens. The image just doesn't show up. Has anyone else had that problem?

Helen

upast
04-11-2008, 10:48 AM
My final effort. Not completely happy with it but I might like it better if I leave it for a while. :) Thanks for the beautiful photo, Cravia. Might try the other one if I get time next week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2008/7783-eggsforwetcanvas.jpg

Judibelle
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
John....your 'final effort' is absolutely gorgeous! such soft beautiful colors, in the eggs and the material.... love it!
Thanks for your comments on mine....actually, when i tried smudging with my fingers, I just muddied things up more. So I finally just left it at that point. I do love the photo, though, so may try doing them again. Maybe.
JB

Luvy
04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
With all these paintings How can you remember who did what to comment? LOL I'm lost. It's really interesting to see how everyone does the same project though.
Christie since your painting is close to my post I can actually see it and make a comment. How did you get that pulp so pulpy? You made such an improvement on this painting.

And since so many attempted those darn eggs, now I feel like I have to try them too darn it *S*

So now I'm off to my drawing board, when I was going to go look through the forum to comment on people's paintings. Grrrr Guess I'll have to work fast *S*

Luvy
04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok I worked on these eggs and broke every one of them. I can't do them Can't get the shapes right can't get the shadows right I can't I can't I can't LOL
So don't expect to see these eggs from me. (looking in the garbage)

Mario V
04-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Here is my blue approach to the eggs :).

Merethe, great photo and great challenge for me... Thanks!

paper: La Carte 9x12
pastels: Sennelier plus Rembrant for blue

C&C always wellcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2008/133719-0804pas_jaja.jpg

drapes4u
04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey John: Just checked the website after several days awy and must say these eggs are absolutely beautiful. The fabric is almost transluscent in some areas and the shading so soft on the eggs. Impressive!

drapes4u
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Mario: Love the blue rendition of the eggs - beautifully executed. The only CC I would have is that the edge seems a bit too dark on that egg at the back - it's a bit distracting. I figure these eggs are hidden away at the back of the pantry or in the soft shade of a front porch! Lovely!

Colorix
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi, John and Mario,

Wonderful to see your paintings of the eggs on the same page, the same picture, and they say different things.

John, yours is soft and delicate and explores the colours of white, especially in the shadows. Lovely!

Mario, yours explore the strong light with clear contrasts, and the colour of light. It has clear impact-quality! Btw, how did you like LaCarte?

Wonderful paintings, both, lifting different aspects to the fore. What a treat!

Karen Margulis
04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's interpretation of these photos. Great work! Thank you Merethe for excellent choices. It was exactly what I felt like painting today. Here is my version of the eggs. It is 8x10 on a dark brown LaCarte.
Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2008/53551-April_08_paintings_005.JPG

*Violet*
04-15-2008, 12:13 AM
thank you mereth for the wonderful reference photos !!

christine ... fabulous plums!! .. they look soooo juicy !! ... actually, both your versions were nice ... i kinda like the first tho ... i thought you had lovely colours reflected in your white bowl ...

nina ... your eggs look marvelous !! ... fabric too !! ...

chuck ... that's quite the method you have !! ... your painting is very creative ...

jb... i like the texture your support has given your painting of the plums !! ... nice and colourful and that bowl sure looks tipped !! ... and i liked your first version of the eggs too ... they're nicely modeled and the fabric tho different, looks nice and soft and fluffy ... it's hard to know when to stop sometimes ... but practice will get ya more used to determining that ...

drapes4u ... *both* your paintings are excellent !! ... love the colours you've incorporated into the eggs ... and you've modeled the plums wonderfully ... they're seated so nicely ...

little dragon ... your plums are lovely ... i like your interpretation of the bowl ..

mario ... great job on those plums bowl and fabric !!... your eggs are wonderful too !! ...

kitty ... nice job with your plums ... they look great against that dark background !! ...

luvy ... your plums are great ... they seat very nicely against each other and the tipping bowl ... they look juicy too !!

john ... love the colours you incorporated into your eggs ... their shapes are very nicely done ...

helen ... your eggs are very nice ... just wish the picture were larger to see your colour transitions ...

karen ... your lovely style of painting has the eggs looking so romantic !! ... nice job !!

now will post my eggs ...

*Violet*
04-15-2008, 12:17 AM
*three's a crowd* ... x-posted in Pastel Talk - Having a ball using PanPastels !!!

here's my experiment/version of the eggs using a limited pallete and strictly PanPastels ... 11"x14" on green suede mat board ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2008/46454-threes_a_crowd_566x440.JPG

drapes4u
04-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Violet: I am so impressed with your use of pan pastels! This painting would be an excellent ad for them!. Send a copy to Robyn at Dakota Pastels - I'll be t she'd love to have it! Great job!
Wendy

Merethe T
04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Woohoo, you're a productive crowd this month, that's great!

Judibelle - they sure look like eggs to me, nice work! What kind of style were you aiming for? What technique to use depends on what you're looking for in the end...if you're going for a painterly style you're well on your way - if you aim for a tighter, more realistic style both technique and materials is important. I find it easier to blend without making mud with harder pastels and a sanded surface. Keep going, experiment and have fun! :)

Helen - are you still having trouble uploading images? Make sure the image is within the allowed sizes, 600x500 pixels and 100kb, resolution 72 dpi. Let me know if you still have problems, we'll do our best to help you!

John - Lovely painting - gorgeous, soft style! Beautiful shadows...

Mario - beautiful work! I like your blue approach! I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge...

Luvy - sounds just like me the first time I tried to paint eggs - the little rascals are tougher than they seem aren't they.... :D

Karen - ooh, Karen you've really got your special touch with colors, what a treat! A symphony in colors with your very distinct signature on them! Glad you joined us! :)

Violet - glad to see you here too! Beautiful work! That's all pan's?! Very cool, amazing how much detail you can achieve with them...gorgeous fabric, so shiny - and I love the play of light!

I'm having a ball seeing all the different results, thank you all for joining!

Merethe

helenh
04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
After playing with the image size over and over, I finally got it to show up. So here is a larger image. I preveiously posted it as a tiny postage stamp size.

Since I'm pretty new to pastels, I would love your criticisms. I sure have the darndest time with folds.

Helen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2008/114605-Eggs3.jpg

Judibelle
04-15-2008, 11:59 AM
thanks, Violet and Cravia...
Violet...I love your picture...the eggs certainly stand out, and the material is soft and beautifull
Karen, I love the colors in your picture...beautilly done.
mvuk....nice colors in yours as well...love the shades of blue...
Cravia... I have always done better working 'loose'. Definitely not a detail-oriented person. So painterly, I think, is what I'm after...even though I'm trying to get more detailed in my sketches...
I am very grateful to have found this thread, and appreciate the helpful comments.
JB

LoveFaces
04-16-2008, 12:02 AM
John it looks beautiful. You are too hard on yourself. Mario, your blue eggs are lovely. I hope my blue version looks half as good. I'm nearly done. I've just been so sick this last week that I can't even bring myself to take a picture of it. I'm hoping to tomorrow or Thursday I'll be up to it. Karen and Helen, I love how many wonderful colors you both have in yours. You have a similar style..so loose and lively. Violet I commented on yours in the other thread but I will say again that I love your unique take on the colors. It looks beautiful and the fabric is so silky looking. Everyone did a fantastic job I think. Sorry my c&c's aren't up to par. My brain is just too cooked to come up with anything more profound or even helpful :lol:

Tracy Lewis
04-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Congratulations to you all. You have all done a great job, and inspired me to get my hands dirty again.

Little Dragon
04-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow, lots of variations on a theme, and all of them wonderful. Here is mine.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2008/31049-Eggs.jpg

*Violet*
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
way to go, little dragon !! ... lovely painting !!

Tressa
04-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Merethe!! I haven't been here in a while, and pop in and there is your beautiful still life photos!! These remind me so much of you:)
I am hoping to get a chance to try one, but have been very busy!!
Hi to all you guys!!
Tres

LoveFaces
04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
:clap: nice job, Little Dragon! The fabric is beautiful!

Tracy Lewis
04-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Hello everybody, here is my attempt. 19.5 X12.5. SOFT PASTELS .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2008/101106-peaches_pastel_001.jpg

Little Dragon
04-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks Violet and Nina. I appreciate the comments.

drapes4u
04-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Little Dragon: Beautifully done - the fabric is wonderful!
Karen: Lovely colours - such a unique work! It feels so soft and sort of old
world to me.
Helen: I think you're getting with the folds and you certainly understand the
shadows..what's your surface?
Tracy L: I really like your pallette. Nicely done!
Wendy

paintbrush91
04-21-2008, 07:09 PM
My first try at the monthly stroke. (I turned the bowl into a plate. )

soft pastels on watercolor paper size-18 x 24http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2008/92576-april08-045pastel.jpg

I look forward to next month. Thank you for the wonderful photo to work with. Linda

Tracy Lewis
04-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Nice work Linda.

helenh
04-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Little Dragon: Beautifully done - the fabric is wonderful!
Karen: Lovely colours - such a unique work! It feels so soft and sort of old
world to me.
Helen: I think you're getting with the folds and you certainly understand the
shadows..what's your surface?
Tracy L: I really like your pallette. Nicely done!
Wendy

To answer your question, I used Colorfix paper.

Merethe T
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Helen - nice to see a larger image, lovely colorful painting!
Little dragon - gorgeous work - lovely range of values!
Tracy - glad you found inspiration, very nice work!
Hi Tres, glad to see you!! :wave: Been a while since I've seen you around, glad to have you back!
Linda - welcome, I'm glad you could join us! Very lovely work, it's great to see a different take on the photo! I hope you join next months strokes, this is fun! :)

Merethe

JJBRG
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi
I did the painting of the eggs in Pastel. I am trying to figure out how to upload my painting. So far no luck. I read the instructions and I am looking for an upload icon. Any suggestions? JJBRG
:(Ok, I think I found it. Here goes. Hope you like my painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2008/119210-Eggs_on_cloth.jpg

Merethe T
04-27-2008, 07:01 AM
HI JJBRG! I see you managed to upload successfully! :)
Lovely work, I love all the colors you've used! Thanks for participating, glad to have you aboard!

Let me know if you need any help regarding posting & uploading images. :)

Merethe