PDA

View Full Version : Iriquois Light

George Servais
04-01-2008, 03:25 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-01-2008/136270_Iriquois_lightsmall.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Iriquois Light
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was done from a photograph. I suspect it was shot with a wide angle lens. I probably should have compensated for it. The rock pillar to the left seems a bit distracting and may take away from the composition.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please feel free to comment on any area or aspect . I am particularly interested in areas of composition and perspective,

tgsloth
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow, you are a patient guy painting each one of those rocks!
Fine, subtle work with the buildings, the trees/grasses and especially the sky.

I feel there are rock problems. The piller to the left is not helping the composition particularly as it's cut in half (always a distraction). It's also hard to tell if it's standing up (the actual case) or moving back in space.

I guess because of the wide angle lens the actual wall on the left seems too small compared to the foreground wall. And there's a kind of white stripe on top of the wall. What is it? I'm sure it's there in the photo but it just looks indecipherable IMO in the painting.

My last thought is that the red roofing obviously attracts the eye because of the color's intensity. While you've done a great job varying the values as the light hits the roof structures, it could be that a duller set of reds would work a bit better and be more painterly, less post card-y.

George Servais
04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks tgsloth. Those are my thoughts exactly. It may sound strange but the rocks actually took only about 2 hours to do. I was like a machine. When I do this again I'll keep your comments in mind. Thanks again

Spyderbabe
04-01-2008, 05:24 PM
There's so much beautiful work in this painting but like you suspected and Tg confirmed the rock pillar is problematic.
I ran it thru ps to see if it could be de-constructed. I also toned down the wall - like putting an umber glaze on it... I'm not its the answer, but see what you think:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2008/23281-Image3.jpg

tgsloth
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Yowza. What a photoshop job! Big improvement.

Deesart
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
The rocks and the front rockpile are my favorite part of the work...I guess because they have so much character and are least "perfect". My tendency would be to keep the rocks, tone down the yellow greens, and age the lighthouse a bit. There is an interesting visual diagonal from the big front rock post to the lighthouse tower which repeats the vertical form & could balance it more if the buildings had more visual weight.
:) Dee

George Servais
04-01-2008, 10:37 PM
How cool is that! Thanks

George Servais
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Very interesting Dee. This could be fun re-working it.

HRobinson
04-05-2008, 01:20 PM
A good photo editor can help you with your composition. We have to keep in mind that using a bad photo will not only take up more time but can cause us mimic the same bad qualities in the finished piece.

Your trees needed some more individuality and your stones tended to not reflect the ambiance required from that field of green but your work was appreciated on this end. -h

Candices_Creations
04-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Beautiful work !...great detail...I agree with the photoshopped..suggestions..toning down somewhat..:)