PDA

View Full Version : On Crown Crescent

Claudia
04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-01-2008/6777_OnCrownCrescent_copy.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: On Crown Crescent
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a house in Vancouver, B.C. I was trying to 'lead the way' to the warmth of a family home. The colours are actually stronger than the photo shows. I had some difficulty uploading this, with a new Photoshop Elements programme. Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the work.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does the perspective work? Did I overdo the greens (even though I actually cut back on them). <br>I am open to any feedback. Wet Canvas is a great lea<br>ing opportunity and I do appreciate it.

Corby
04-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Very nice, you have conveyed the appeal of the house and its setting very well. If you will notice, you have used the same greens in fore ground plants as you used in back ground plants. Plants of course vary in their shade of green from plant to plant. But even in the same plant, as they come toward you the green will become greener and darker. All colors will darken in value and saturation of color as they come toward you. As they recede into the distance the contrast between dark and light falls off and colors become bluer and grayer. Yellow tones fall away...This would give the painting a greater sense of depth.

tgsloth
04-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Great patience and technique drawing all those leaves. And in an 8x10? I bet you can't do that after a couple of coffees!
Corby's point about varying the foliage hues, is, of course, right but I'd extend it to suggest a greater hue separation between the dull red roof and the walkway (even if this is not the actual appearance). It will give the painting more diversity and interest. And I close the post by really saluting the way you've painted the dappled highlights from sun coming through the foliage on the walkway. It makes your painting really sparkle.

Spyderbabe
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
"Does the perspective work?" Yes!

"Did I overdo the greens (even though I actually cut back on them). " Maybe - I'de like to prune the branch hanging top left so I can see that interesting window.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

artbywr
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Great job!
I agree with Spyderbabe about the top left branch that covers the small tree, that covers the window. I like the tree but the additional branch is more than you needed. Even though it might be there, you can prune for your own desired effects. Since it's there now(in the painting), I still say great job.
Wendy

Claudia
04-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. This painting is a gift for the homeowner, so felt I had to stay in the realm of reality. As Corby suggested, I did darken the front greens and it did help. I see your point, Bob, about the roof, but there's the reality thing.......
And I agree that I should have left that darn branch out, Kathleen and Wendy. I debated about putting it in. I decided to go for it, as the huge evergreen there is so dominant when you look at the house. But I, too, liked the window and wish I had kept it uncovered. Thanks again for the insightful critiques and the kind words, too. Claudia