GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Slow Decline
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the second to last painting that I've done. (I've yet to take a picture of the latest...it'll be coming soon). This one was modelled by two of my friends.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm open for any critique that you're willing to give. The painting is done, and I probably won't be changing much, but any critique I can get will help with the next paintings that I do!

MRSBB
03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Boy you have nailed this one. Unfortunately I have seen these looks too many times in my lifetime and you really have captured the moment. God knows what he is thinking, but she exudes fear and reassurance. As for the painting, should we see some of his shadow on the wall? IMO this is an excellent piece of work.............Lenore

kathrynlovespets
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
your friends are real characters
it looks very posed
great colors

Spyderbabe
04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Geraud,
You have a gift for posing your models and creating narrative scenes of great interest and tension. he harsh light serves well. There is something about the facial features (her chin, forehead) that seem 'off' as does his hand and that distracts from the impact of the piece.
I notice that you have repeated the triangular ceiling effect that we saw in your previous painting; was this a conscious decision?
Kathleen

tgsloth
04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Wonderfully done.
Two thoughts:
The shadow of the woman seems a bit dark and sharp edged.
The red tone at the top and right of her face looks a bit off to me. Like a partial sunburn.

ThreeWolves
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I love your mood and style of creating. The feel of it almost gives me shivers.

Gerauds
04-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the insight everyone!

Spyderbabe, this wasn't a concious thing. In fact, I almost left that weird shadow out altogether. But, I thought that the piece needed that darkness to set off the two figures. And it was the actual shadow there. So, I decided to keep it in. But, I am going to have to watch for that to make sure it isn't something that I do as a fall back. I don't think any of my other paintings have it (but I'm checking now!)