PDA

View Full Version : Probably the real me

twiggysminis
03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2008/134224-Path_through_the_woods.jpg MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-31-2008/134224_Path_through_the_woods.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Probably the real me
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 4 ft X 5 ft
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is one of the largest pieces I have done - the left hand side is missing as my bum is in the way -so I cropped the photo as you do not want to look at it! Two days a week I do pet portraits to keep the wolf from the door - these go ok and to an extent I enjoy. An hour a day I do an ACEO for fun - they go on ebay and nobody buys! When I have time I work larger and from the heart. I'm not sure I can afford the paint for these but I get huge satisfaction.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have aimed at the light and atmosphere of a dark shady path through the woods with full sunlight coming through gaps in the trees. Has it worked? Should I go down this route?

MRSBB
03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
I think it has worked, I see good sunlight beaming through, but there seems to be a blue haze over the painting that I am thinking was caused by the photo. Does it read that way on your monitor? If that is intentional then I would like it ligher at the back to show more depth. Keep enjoying your art.........Lenore

Corby
03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
This is an absolute marvel! It would really have impact if it had a solitary sun and shadow dappled human figure walking the path.

kathrynlovespets
03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
The painting is really stunning, it draws you in.

tgsloth
03-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Ditto absolute marvel

diquattrom
03-31-2008, 11:52 PM
I like this alot. It reminds me of an interpretation I saw of someone explaining a near death experience. Lights in a tunnel like area.

Theolwon
04-01-2008, 02:24 AM
The path area is good, however, i don't know why you didn't define the trees somewhat. My first thought was that i was looking into outer space, probably because of all that blue. Try working smaller (16X20)........Theolwon

graphicali
04-01-2008, 05:59 AM
I love this painting! I think that it has definitely worked. I feel as if I could walk into it. I would think that it is even more impressive in real life because of the large size.

I think that you should give your inner self some more time, it is giving great results!

greensyster
04-01-2008, 06:51 AM
WOW - I look thru my telescope at deep sky objects and wish I had a personal Hubble but then instead I can come here and fall headlong happily into your art . I know you have in mind an avenue but I see a distance of light years rendered as no one else has. You have perspective, movement, light and shade and of course the flaw is there is nothing to bring one back cos I get lost down that point of singularity. Maybe Corby's suggestion, as ever, is a very true way to match your scope with your intention. Any-who :) I love it!

twiggysminis
04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Thank you all of you a host of intersting replies and food for thought and some comments that will make me continue. Greensyster you should write as well as paint - you made your crit poetic. Diquattrom, an interesting comment as someone here said it should be called "The Tunnel of Life". ...and Corby yes it probably needs an anchor. My husband looked at it and said "What were you taking?" He is such a harsh critic normally so I took this as a sort of compliment.

DancingPopcorn
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I think your large format is great. (I also like to work large, but rarely get a chance to do so.) I like the abstractness of it while it still reads as landscape. The only suggestion I have it to maybe take a new photograph of it so you don't need to crop it. I'd like to see the entire painting.

Cool stuff! Love the feel of it! :thumbsup:

avrene
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
At first I thought it was a painting from outer space. But the longer I look at it, I now see the intricate weaving of twigs, branches, leaves, etc leading to the tunnel. I like it. I specially like the light that is filtering in between the trees. I do wish you can post the full painting.

Spyderbabe
04-01-2008, 05:33 PM
I just love it. Imagine it filling a wall!
Love your painting schedule too.

ThreeWolves
04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
There is a figure walking the path, very transperent. It is neat having her in front of the cave. Comp works well.

La_
04-02-2008, 02:36 AM
it's earth from space most preferably for me, the butt not withstanding

but at actually size i can appreciate more the path idea and might contrast it up a bit more to that effect, meaning - more light from within

cool stuff

la