PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Mar. 31 - April 6

Pat Isaac
03-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Good morning everyone,

Wow, I just typed April...and showers are expected....not much blooming yet, just the snowdrops and the crocus. Once the weather warms up a little, I'm sure buds will start to pop. Monday is my long day at the studio and at the moment nothing is interferring with that. Hope you all had a good weekend.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

Pat Isaac
03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
No big studio day today.....had to call the doctor again about this insidious rash..:eek: Spent the day there.....and the bottom line is that it definitely is a medication allergy and I have to wait it out....grrr....
I'll get back there on Wednesday and do a lot of work.....
Raining now, but it is sort of warmish....helps the spring plants.

Pat

wabbitt
04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Hi Pat, sorry to hear the allergy continues. Hasn't the doctor prescribed an antihistimine (like Benedryl or atarax) until the medication works out of your system? No need to suffer. When a systemic allergy got the best of me about 10 years ago, I got a shot of some kind of steroid to suppress immunity (well, yeah, it was really bad.)

I did Worldwide Sketchcrawl this weekend and another OP self portrait.

Pat Isaac
04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
The antihistamines don't seem to be working too well, and the topical creme isn't the greatest, but it helps some. I have to give this another week to see if it starts to diminish. UGH...
I hope you are going to post your self portrait, Julie.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Pat--
Sorry to hear of your rash problems. However, with medication reactions it could have been much worse. I know that's not much consolation, but I'm glad the reaction was not a serious one as is sometimes the case. My heart goes out to you because I occasionally get rashes and they drive me nuts! Hang in there!

[Please notice my sincerity; not a pun in sight!]

Bill

:music: :heart: :music:

Pat Isaac
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Bill. It is driving me crazy, but soon I hope it will disappear.
Very windy, showery, but 60 degrees here today. Had to do shopping and house stuff today, so no studio. However, I am going there all day tomorrow...:D

Pat

AnnieA
04-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Pat: So sorry to hear about the rash - those really can be very annoying. I'm glad to hear it will eventually resolve itself, but waiting for that must be difficult.

March really went out like a lion here; it snowed and hailed yesterday. I managed to get caught out in the worst of it! :eek: But today is beautiful - sunny and somewhat warmer.

Pat Isaac
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Today was really nice here though somewhat windy. Sunny and temps in the 50s. I did a lot at my studio today. I am trying to do a little on each new painting. Not enough progress to report.
We are also having our annual meeting of our studio group next week and I ran into the president today.IMHO I think she doesn't seem to understand what our group is about. I just said bring it all up at the meeting and see what the group wants. I can't get into a pissing contest which seems to happen whenever we talk....for some reason she really pushes all my buttons...and that is hard to do...BUT we'll see how the group votes...Sorry, it does bug me.

Pat

AnnieA
04-02-2008, 10:47 PM
My goodness, Pat. I'm really surprised that anyone has gotten under your skin. You seem like one of the most even-tempered and easy going people I've ever met! I hope it all works out ok. ((Pat))

Pat Isaac
04-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Mostly I am....but I guess this person is insulting without even realizing it and it gets to me....I'll be quiet at the meeting and just take my notes...:lol:

Pat

Peiwend
04-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Pat, this sounds like a typical arts organization!

In my little village, I complained about the Planning Board and the chairman being in a possible conflict of interest. To make a long story short, I am now vice-chair of the Planning Board and was handed a big binder of rules and regulations that have to be revised. Now I have to make written comments, criticisms and suggestions for each one :confused: .

Just be quiet and take your notes...

_______________________________Wendell

Shirl Parker
04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
You wouldn't believe the crap going on in our organization. Our artists have a place to paint for which they pay a measly $2.50 a week ($120 yearly membership to the museum).

Last week we had a workshop that cost the participants $250.00 each for 4 days of watercolor instruction. They were going to have the class at the museum, where there is no light, no easy access to water, not enough room for the number of participants, etc.

I recommended the class be held where we paint each week. Good light, easy water, beaucoup room. It's the large gallery side of the building where we had our show, if you saw those pictures. Enough room for the participants AND the other artists who paint on the ONE day they would overlap. So we had it there.

The other artists (three in particular) bitched and moaned and said we should be at the museum, we treated them shabbily, blah, blah, blah, and they are going to go and form their own group.

Absolutely incredible.

Pat Isaac
04-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Good advice, Wendell. It's almost the same as 'you didn't come to the meeting so we voted you in as president. :lol:
Unbelievable, Shirl, though not as unbelievable as you think. Our current president told me yesterday that if the group didn't approve her plan she would just form her own. I think "go for it". We are a non-profit and she wants to be rid of it and get rid of the insurance we pay and just have artists who want come in and hang at our Open Studios.....:eek:
I'm going to be quiet and take my secretary notes....

Pat

tubbekans
04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Another free online drawing tutorial for those needing some amusement. Seems anyone can open an Art Institute with the right amount of fortitude and stick to-it-ness. Kinda long but the punch line is at the end for some reason...

Draw the Pirate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evL-WX_SWL4

Maybe some olive oil and vitamin E oil would help the rash Pat? I think I saw that on Star Trek once too, scary!

We are getting ready to do our next artomatic here in DC. It's a show put on by artists and run by artists. We had 600 artists last year, and they are expecting nearly 1,000 this year. Only a month to get ready so I got's to hustle. Anybody seen any hustle for sale anywhere? :D

http://www.artomatic.org/

Scarefishcrow
04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Today was really nice here though somewhat windy. Sunny and temps in the 50s. I did a lot at my studio today. I am trying to do a little on each new painting. Not enough progress to report.
We are also having our annual meeting of our studio group next week and I ran into the president today.IMHO I think she doesn't seem to understand what our group is about. I just said bring it all up at the meeting and see what the group wants. I can't get into a pissing contest which seems to happen whenever we talk....for some reason she really pushes all my buttons...and that is hard to do...BUT we'll see how the group votes...Sorry, it does bug me.

Pat

Whoa!!!! I don't like this lady already!! Sorry, and shouldn't judge like that, but ANYONE that evokes a reaction like this from out Patron Saint (:angel: :angel: ) Patricia has to be a B(it of) a Pain in the Ass(ociation). [Since I aint the moderator, I try not to be too obvious with my language and now I see I certainly don't want to push Pat's buttons!]

You know, Pat, you seem a lot like me in this respect; I am about as tolerant a person that you can find; people at school used to kid me about tolerating colleagues that had long ago micturated everyone else off. However, if you keep poking me or you are a self centered, conceited, Ass(ociation) Hol(y) Roller, and self declared Oracle of Delphi, then I can go off like a ticking (alarm clock...just incase the spooks are scannining for impolitic words that might catch attention).

The thing is, you need to sit down and think about what issues you want to raise, clarify them in your own mind, compliment the President on the hard work that has kept her from focusing on these complicated issues (they really hate it when you compliment them while attacking, leaves no room to maneuver), and then proceed to expound on the issues and why they are important. Thank the lady for her kindness in allowing you to bring these issues (which she doesn't want raised) to everyone's attention; smile coyly, (scratch your rash, if not inappropriate) and sit down with a winsome smile on your face.

Then, after the meeting when she wishes to talk to all the important people, be the first to catch her, engage her in conversation (mostly on your part), and continue to prattle on forever about mindless issues and how you need to work together as you watch (what I called in the University) the dreaded Administrative Head Snapping as the Pompous Administrator sees socially or politically important person after person they would like to make nice to leave the meeting while she still tries to find a way to extricate herself from you since she must do it in a somewhat diplomatic way since it would be tacky to cause a scene in a public place.

(By the way, if there are refreshments, try to catch her at the refreshment table so you have plenty of food and drink to slow down the conversation as you nibble, sip, and (of course) periodically ask her opinion which requires hes presence even more.

Finally, my last stategy to drive people like this crazy is to ask them questions about the operation that you know they don't want to discuss but you have already found out the answer to. E.g., has a decision been reached on x, y or z; and if not, you would love to help in any way you can to facilitate resolution of the issue and that you only wish to helo out. Of course you know from your moles throughout the organization what decision has been reached already, but smile ignorantly as you ask the question. (Oh, the fun stories I could tell you of my IT battles in the early days of computers on campus; such fun to set your own server up and crash the entire campus network but be outspoken enough they can't really do anything about it since you are one of those despots that know far more about their domain than they like anyone else to.)

And don't forget to call periodically when you haven't receive a response to your question, and state in a concerned voice you were worried that you might have allowed something to slip by you and did not want them to think you were ignoring them (also guaranteed to drive them nuts).

Now, these are all only theoretical strategies I might have considered in 30+ years of dealing with bad (and good) administrators. If it is any consolation, one of the prime reasons for my retiring was the presence of a relatively new chancellor that basically I had found out was in the process of firing the best dean we have had in our college (and we had good ones) since I had come. I can't say the word, to quote a former president's wife during a campaign about a female nominee for VP, to describe her but "...let's just say it rhymes with rich.".

Don't let the pets born from undesireable matings of registered dog breeds get you down. Remember, every day you live is one more day that makes their life miserable, and the joy that should bring you should contribute to the longevity we all desire!!!!

See, I told you I am a very nice person. And I am. However, the nicer you are the more important it is to learn to be nasty without being impolite!!!! It is a skill the has served me (I mean, will likely serve anyone) well in situations such as yours.

:angel: :angel: :angel:
:angel: :evil: :angel:
:angel: :angel: :angel:

Don't ever let too many know there's a little devil in the angelic shell; it should be used judiciously, but, when necessary, used and used effectively!

I hope I haven't shattered my image as a naive, compassionate, timid learner with great humility and empathy. In fact, to show how tolerant I am I once had a senior colleague look at me after a meeting and say with great sincerity "Well Bill, maybe you are just lazy, cause you used to be a hard worker!" I actually felt sorry for him. A Ph.D. tons of publications and dumb as a rock because he was too shallow to ever even realize how idiotic it was to say something like that to someone, even if you believed it!

"INTELLIGENCE DOES NOT IMMUNIZE ONE AGAINST SERIOUS INFECTIONS OF STUPIDITY"
Quote from Me (about two seconds ago).

Bill

Scarefishcrow
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
On a brighter note, browsing around I found this web site of an artist that does Oil Pastel work; name is Brett Varney and his work is quite bright and, well, I won't try to classify it I will let you be the judge:

http://www.brettvarney.com/originals.html

Maybe this will brighten everyone's day up a bit.

Bill

AnnieA
04-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Pat: You're probably wise to assume the person just doesn't realize she is being rude - probably much easier to deal with her that way. Quiet note taking also sounds like a good approach, although I hope the person isn't able to affect your group negatively with her proposal.

Wendell: I had to chuckle on reading your post. I guess they showed you! (for complaining) On a more serious note, I once dealt with a building department that not only interpreted the rules (in this case building code regulations), but provided their customers with written interpretations and examples and drawings illustrating them. It was undoubtedly a tremendous amount of work for someone to prepare all that, but in the long run I suspect it saved a tremendous amount of time and money, since everyone, staff and customers, could understand what to expect, and how to achieve compliance. I know I really appreciated it - it made my job so much easier. I suppose, though, that doing that yourself would be taking on a bit more than you'd want to do. :lol:

Paul: I visited the Artomatic site once before (I think you had mentioned it previously, or maybe I was peeking at your website). It sounds like a great show (terrific name too!). I hope you'll show us your entries. :) (I'm afraid I've already spent all my hustle, or I'd offer to share some.)

Artchrispy
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Everyone! Hey Pat I've been hearing and reading amazing things about apple cider vinegar as a cure for everything from rashes to bacterial infections and food poisoning. People claim its a miracle cure. Paul mentioned something about olive oil, maybe it works the same way? My son had a high fever a few weeks ago and we soaked his socks in it and his fever dropped within a half hour. It smells aweful though.
When faced with someone I can't negotiate with for interpersonal reasons (usually lawyers) I remember a bumper sticker I once read written for tailgaters: "Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks your an ass hole."
(No offense to lawyers. Most are great!)

Shirl Parker
04-04-2008, 12:28 AM
In "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" they use Windex to cure everything :lol: :lol:

Scarefishcrow
04-04-2008, 08:17 AM
BTW, Pat, just after I announced was retiring at the end of last semester, I found out that before it became known, I had not attended the department's executive committee meeting. Guess who had been elected Chair, considerable responsibility, no time to comepensate.

Yup; in fact it used to be the running joke in our department that all committee chairs were people that missed the first faculty meeting.

The unfortunate thing about this stategy is sometimes you have to live with a leader you don't care for!

Also, a solution for the rash came to me. Find your ruby slippers (Toto optional), close your eyes, TRUELY BELIEVE, then click the heels of the Ruby Slippers together 3 times while repeating " I want the rash to go away!". (And when it does, say Hi to Auntie Em and Uncle Henry).

[If you feel like scratching a rash, why not save it for the big one walking around at your associaiton!}

I hope your feeling better and maybe a few chuckles will take your mind off your problems for a while!!

Bill

Pat Isaac
04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the chuckles and advice, Bill. :lol: I was chair of my department for 15 years along with teaching classes, so I learned to get along with most everybody. We did have a great department and it was a team effort. I guess that is really what is bothering me here as this person is not thinking of the group, but herself.....I do feel she will be outnumbered. Time will tell...
Paul, thanks for the drawing lesson....Sounds like a great show and a huge event. Be sure and show us some of your entries.
Bill, I had seen that artist's work somewhere just recently. Interesting.
Well, I now have olive oil, windex and apple cider. Wonder what would happen if I mixed them all together...:evil: Anyway, thanks for your good wishes and it is going away, just like the doctor said it would...I do like the ruby slippers solution though...maybe I should try that for other things as well...:evil: :evil:
Have a great day everyone...

Pat:angel:

Scarefishcrow
04-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the chuckles and advice, Bill. :lol: I was chair of my department for 15 years along with teaching classes, so I learned to get along with most everybody. We did have a great department and it was a team effort. I guess that is really what is bothering me here as this person is not thinking of the group, but herself.....

Pat:angel:

Pat,

That describes almost to a tee what my department was like for years; then the retirement boom hit following all the expansion in the 70's, of which I was at the tail end. We turned over most of the department and hired many good, new faculty. But there were a few that came on board with an attitude like you are describing. About 3 out of a department of more than 22 faculty caused our department to go through an enormously emotional, painful and needless crisis that did great damage to our excellent departmental image. As the former chair said during the midst of it, 90% of the problems come from 10% of the people. And they are the ones that never quite understand that "team" means there are times when (according to Mr. Spock) the good of the many outweigh the desires of the few (or one). While these things were not responsible for my retirement, they made me realize it was time to move on and let the new generation learn to walk or keep falling as they must. They were the one that were going to have to live with decisions being made and, in fact, I felt my leaving would help that process along by putting another newer, more energetic person into the mix. It was what I did and loved, it was not what I was, as I have found my experiences here in the OP forum demonstrate.

BTW, talked with our former Dean of the Coll. of Fine Arts and got some ideas about people at school to talk with about some of the history and other compatibility issues that we have been batting around in places. Maybe not to today, but I have an interesting theory I plan to post in a thread that comes from some reading as well as taliking with the winner of our last year's Festival of the Arts Best of Show award. To give you something to ponder about what's up my "sleeve" now, she works in Encaustic and I have learned some interesting things by reading up on encaustic's history (possibly among the oldest media among civilizatons, older by centuries than SOFT Pastel, in fact. Hmmmmmm? Where could this be leading?

(Once a professor, always a professor)

Bill

Scarefishcrow
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
BTW, perhaps you recall seeing that artist profiled in, I think, the October 2007 issue of Pastel Journal (on his online resume).

Bill

Pat Isaac
04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I, too, loved my work, but it was finally time to leave. I was tired of fighting for the arts. In the public schools here there were huge cuts and of course the first to go were the arts. I decided to leave the fighting to the next person, who didn't fight so the department fell apart, but I had other things to do. I always find that things seem to go in cycles and soon it will come back up again. One nice thing is that I hear from so many of my former students and they come to the studio to visit if they are around. Nice to see many of them doing well in a field that they keep cutting.....

Encaustics are an interesting medium. I have an artist friend who does encaustics with digital imaging. Can't imagine where you are going with that, Bill...:rolleyes:
BTW, I do think that is where I saw that artist.

Pat

tubbekans
04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Pat,

Ahh the cures...

Don't forget the mysterious Senn transparent OP blender, rumoured to heal rashes when applied in short strokes but not blended. Is this what they are truly made for? :wink2: :confused: :D

AnnieA
04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Pat: I hope the rash is getting better. With all those miracle cure ideas you've been given, how could it not be? I vote for the Senn transparent blender (make sure not to blend!), although the Ruby Slipper treatment is a close second.) :p Did the doctor say what it was causing it?

I got so much from the art classes I took all the way through junior high and high school, and remember coming back to visit my favorite art teacher myself. (Mrs. Herschenson - she was great! :)) It's so sad that so many school districts have eliminated arts instruction. I sincerely hope the pendulum will swing back soon.

Bill: I'll be waiting to hear about the encaustic thingie. :)

Entirely OT, but I thought this recent WaPo article was fascinating: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/03/AR2008040302156.html
Archaeologisits have found human DNA in a cave in Oregon that predates any known human presence in North America by 1,000 years. (They found the DNA in poop! :lol:) This new information suggests that early North Americans traveled down the Pacific coast rather than through the center of the continent as previously thought. It's also interesting in that the DNA is similar to contemporary Native American DNA.

I guess it's particularly interesting to me because I remember reading years ago about a theory that the migration across the Bering Straits actually happened in the opposite direction. The evidence was some grain found in Chile (might have been Peru) that was a precursor of a common grain used to date an ancient culture in China, one that existed before the migration across the strait was supposed to have occurred. There's also some evidence that early residents of this continent had their ancestry in an ancient European culture (in France). At any rate, it looks like a North American human presence happened quite early.

Hope I didn't bore all of you with this stuff - I get excited by things like this; I realize not everyone does.

Returning you now to your regular programming... :D

Pat Isaac
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Not boring at all, Annie. I read that also this morning and was amazed. To think they can get DNA from poop :lol: that is 14,000 yrs old is amazing in itself. Archeology of any kind has always fascinated me as well as forensic anthropology. Incredibly interesting stuff.
Yes, the rash is caused by a medication allergy, which I stopped taking.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Not boring at all, Annie. I read that also this morning and was amazed. To think they can get DNA from poop :lol: that is 14,000 yrs old is amazing in itself. Archeology of any kind has always fascinated me as well as forensic anthropology. Incredibly interesting stuff.
Yes, the rash is caused by a medication allergy, which I stopped taking.

Pat

Annie, as Pat has said of me, you are a real hoot!!!:lol:

Pat, you would be amazed at what we biologists can learn from poop! No ...uh....... uh, kidding! Whew, that was close!:rolleyes:

Bill

Tracy Lewis
04-04-2008, 04:26 PM
:crying: I just wish there was an art group near me to join. Or do I ? :confused:

Shirl Parker
04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Tracy, maybe you could find just a couple of friends and rotate painting at different venues, even if it's only once a month or so. It is so nice to be able to say live and in person "Look what I'm working on, what do you think?" WetCanvas is here for you in lieu of that, but it's not the same.

Pat Isaac
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Art groups are nice, but there are politics involved in almost everything. The great thing about this group is we are all artists of one kind or another who rent space in an old factory building. The really great thing about this is all the support and camaraderie that takes place. There is always someone around to bounce ideas off of. We just have an unusual situation now.
Our Open Studios is a wonderful fun event.
I hope you find one, even a local art association.

Pat

Tracy Lewis
04-05-2008, 04:42 AM
I have found one art club locally. I hope to join come September when my youngest starts school full time.

Shirl Parker
04-05-2008, 06:41 AM
That's good news, Tracy. I hope it turns out to be a fun group.

Pat Isaac
04-05-2008, 07:48 AM
That's great, Tracey. I hope it works out well for you.

Pat