PDA

View Full Version : Devon Village

Clive Lutley
03-31-2008, 02:40 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-31-2008/40135_devon-village.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Devon Village
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 30x23cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted from a postcard showing an English village in the county of Devon, somewhere close to where I grew up.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any c&c's are welcome

tgsloth
03-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Beautifully done, Clive.
The small suggestion which occurs to me is that when you choose a dull orange sky, the church should be grayer in hue to distinguish it from the sky.

tony1
03-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Really nice one Clive. The buidlings and foliage are so well done. I like the brick wall too. I guess I just like the whole thing. Great.

zoropb
03-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Well painted Clive.

Sergio

mark62
03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Great painting Clive. Trying to see if I can recognise the village. I'm from Devon myself. :clap:

Corby
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Clive! Nice job, you know how to accomplish what is needed! Your sense of light here is beautiful. My only criticism would be is that it looks like what it is! A postcard. Squeaky clean and barren of life, just pretty.

MRSBB
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I think Corvus said it all. Very nice Clive. How about going back in and giving the painting some life, like your Sunset Sea painting which just blew me away. Keep having fun.........Lenore

Clive Lutley
04-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Thank you for all the encouraging comments. I think the tenor of them being ďNice, but nothing to write home about.Ē. Corvus and Lenore hit the button with their comments so Iím taking this back to the easel and having another go at it. If anybody's inclined to suggest how I might pep this one up please do. I Ďm thinking that the sky does need work (rather than the church color alone, Bob) with a major change in light direction and flavor, more from the side to dramatize the shadows and lights and give a early morning feeling to the scene. Perhaps also adding a few signs of life; milk bottles on the doorstep, a wandering cat, or something similar to make it less sterile.

Mark! A fellow Devonian in exile :wink2: I couldnít recognize the village either. Even the postcard just said ďA Devon VillageĒ. I wonder if it still exists in this form today, the church certainly, but the rest? There are still many cottages like this around, so I donít feel like Iím cheating.

Spyderbabe
04-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I'de like to see more of that golden reflected light on the cottage. As is the two structures dont seem related but more like two halves of different paintings.
Also the distant church shows the same amount of detail as the closer cottage. And the church yard is more vibrant and deeper in hue than the closer cottage yard. The shape of the foilage behind the cottage also is dividing the painting.

Clive Lutley
04-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, I had another go. I don't know if it's better or worse, but I had fun doing it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2008/40135-Devon-Village.jpg

Spyderbabe
04-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Clive,
Now I believe its early morning!
Kathleen

MRSBB
04-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice improvement Clive, but I am more confused on the direction of light. The cottage would indicate light from the left. The shrubs indicate light from the right, but the church has no shadow at all. Still it looks much better.Lenore

Spyderbabe
04-03-2008, 12:57 PM
It appears the sun in the east, somewhere around 3:00 and the shadow on the cottage is cast from the building next to it (out of our sight)

Spyderbabe
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
It appears the sun in the east, somewhere around 3:00 and the shadow on the cottage is cast from the building next to it (out of our sight)

Clive Lutley
04-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Glad you find it improved Lenore. Kathleen, happy it worked for you and what you said regarding the light and shadow is how I saw it too. It was good fun doing the changes and although it wonít get accepted by the Louvre (again!), it did some good for me, so thatís alright. (Itís not finished yet though, thereís still some experiments to be done, Igor)

Spyderbabe
04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Igor - if you are fiddling with it watch the fence.... the top of it runs right along the same line as the grass/cottage and fence edge.
K

Clive Lutley
04-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Thank you ver..,sorry, I mean, "Yeth, Marthter"