GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mask by Candlelight
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 17 approx.
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting is part of a project I have to submit for a university application. I used a candle as the only light source to focus on the subject, inspired by Georges de la Tour's work. I worked from a photo as it was impossible to work from life.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'd be grateful for any constructive criticism at all.

D.W. Flint
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I really like the candle, mask and the colors you have incorporated there. I am a little confused by the whitish portion on the left side. It looks like another light source. I think you could do away with it. Just my two cents worth though....Nice painting...

MRSBB
03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree with Flint in that there would be very little light to the left. Think it would fall mostly just on the mask, but that could just be glare from the photo. I know I had the same thing happen to a black background. Good luck with your Univ. application.........Lenore

Corby
03-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I am assuming that the light on the left is camera flash or reflective light from another source. While I like the work you have done, that does point up a flaw in its procedure of painting. Very large areas of dark colors are usually painted in a relatively thin and smooth manner, no impasto whatever...simply because of this problem of reflection. Highlights such as the tip of nose, chin and the candle flame can be really painted thickly so they will catch and reflect outside sources of light and seem all that brighter for it.

Clive Lutley
03-31-2008, 02:12 AM
The lady's eye, I feel, is not enough in shadow, it seems incomplete. I wish you success with your application!

valhalla
03-31-2008, 06:08 AM
I'll try to fix some of the things you mentioned, like the flash on the black background (that could be because I took the photo when the painting was still wet?)
Also, I'll try to rework the eye. I wasn't sure about it either, it looked kind of cartoonish but I just wanted to suggest it was there really.

Thank you for all your help =)
xx

valhalla
03-31-2008, 06:09 AM
I'll try to fix some of the things you mentioned, like the flash on the black background (that could be because I took the photo when the painting was still wet?)
Also, I'll try to rework the eye. I wasn't sure about it either, it looked kind of cartoonish but I just wanted to suggest it was there really.

Thank you for all your help =)
xx

tgsloth
03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
I think to emulate De La Tour, you need more work on the face, more detail. The flash reflection you got when imaging the painting is not because the paint was wet but because you used a direct flash. Unless you have a professional set up, you can't use flash to photograph a painting. Just put it in the sun and have the sun hit it at an oblique angle and the photo will be fine. It's a simple, but important skill you'll need as you progress as a painter.