GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mother & Child
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 22 x 28
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It started out as a photograph of a young Thai woman carrying her child on her way to a tribal party. My goal was to capture her predicament as a young woman with child - but not in an unhappy way. My back story in my head while painting her was that she did not mind having a child because she belong to a tribe.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have been working on this piece for about 2 months. I had a problem with her face so I decided to work on her shawl, the child and the background. Once I got all that, then I re-worked on her face. I am happy with the outcome but feel it is missing something. Any critique would be greatly appreciated.

D.W. Flint
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
You have a unique style going here which I like alot. I don't think I would change much. If you keep going, you're liable to overwork it...

MRSBB
03-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Lovely painting and choice of colors. I am a little confused about the viewers right side. It may be a decoration but it looks like a hand holding the shawl. If it is a hand it looks like 6 fingers and I'm not sure the thumb would be visable.Anyway it just confuses me, but it is a lovely painting....Lenore

Corby
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Avrene! I have been anticipating your work here again! After sharing the drawing challenge with you and seeing how supportive you are with your fine work there I thought you had abandoned us! Not at all, you have been busy! This is a lovely depiction of a tribal woman with child...I wonder what she is thinking...

There is a sense of indecisiveness about the light. The light is flowing into the painting from the right. It falls correctly and decisively as highlights in the fringes of her shawl. But her face is sort of a timid shifting pattern of reflected lights that seem to have no directional flow. To fix it your beautiful color of background should be taken down in value on the right side of the picture where the light enters. It should be darkest there. That way the far side of her face lit by the light, stands out against the dark background. The light flows through and strikes the background area behind her on the left. This takes all of the back portions of her body and the baby as well and plays them shadowed and dark against the light. The painting will "ZING" to three dimensional life. You will be better able then to determine exactly where the shadows should fall on her face. Good to see your style again Avrene.

avrene
03-31-2008, 01:45 AM
D.W. Flint - thank you.

Lenore - On the viewers right side are knots made from the cloth she uses to carry her child. Thank you for your critique.

Corby - I think part of the reason this took me 2 months to complete was discovering the drawing challenge. Anyway, with this painting, or with most of my paintings, light has always been a problem for me. Thank you for your suggestion. I will try and make it darkest on the right side and see how that works.

MRSBB
03-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Thank you Avrene for clarifing that point about the knots. makes perfect sense now. Lovely painting..........Lenore

avrene
04-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Avrene! I have been anticipating your work here again! After sharing the drawing challenge with you and seeing how supportive you are with your fine work there I thought you had abandoned us! Not at all, you have been busy! This is a lovely depiction of a tribal woman with child...I wonder what she is thinking...

There is a sense of indecisiveness about the light. The light is flowing into the painting from the right. It falls correctly and decisively as highlights in the fringes of her shawl. But her face is sort of a timid shifting pattern of reflected lights that seem to have no directional flow. To fix it your beautiful color of background should be taken down in value on the right side of the picture where the light enters. It should be darkest there. That way the far side of her face lit by the light, stands out against the dark background. The light flows through and strikes the background area behind her on the left. This takes all of the back portions of her body and the baby as well and plays them shadowed and dark against the light. The painting will "ZING" to three dimensional life. You will be better able then to determine exactly where the shadows should fall on her face. Good to see your style again Avrene.

I made the background darker on the right and I think it does bring her more to life. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2008/120851-MotherChildWCC.jpg