PDA

View Full Version : Sliver of Light

Innessfollower
03-30-2008, 05:09 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-30-2008/135158_12x16_Sliver_of_Light.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-30-2008/135158_12x16_Sliver_of_Light_A.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sliver of Light
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
I am trying to stay away from exclusively painting orange and yellow skies, so this is a different angle reminiscent of Dennis Sheehan. You can view more work for comparison at my studio page listed below. You can also check out my works for sale on ebay under Sosnowski.<br><br><br><br>http://www.askart.com/askart/studio/studio.aspx?Studio=11154765

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is this the right way to go or stay with the orange and yellow.

allanom
03-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Definitely Innessian in atmosphere, but in a subtler, more commercial mode. I could live without the foliageless tree on the right; and the leaning towards the edge of all the trees on the right. I find that unsettling. I think you are onto something with these, though. I imagine you will do well with sales once you get more inventory and better established. Good luck!

Allan

Oh, and BTW, I find that the frame you have chosen seriously overwhelms such a fine, subtle painting.

tgsloth
03-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Great composition: the naked tree on the right and the pond work particularly well IMO. The value balance is also very good. As an area of possible improvement, I'd say that the light violet sky tones merging into the trees on the left don't quite work. I'm not sure if I'm looking at clouds or mist and if it's in front of or behind the trees. Judged as an abstract, it works great but it puzzles me a bit representationally.

kathrynlovespets
03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
wow very strange and interesting
i'd prefer a grey/non-stand-out-ish frame to further accentuate the bright strip of light rather than compete with it

billmahler
03-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I like this painting and I echo all of Alllanom's critique, especially regarding the frame.

I might also try eliminating that little puddle in the front.

D.W. Flint
03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Very nice !!

MRSBB
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. Your painting is just beautiful, but I agree it is in the wrong frame. Actually the pond is my favorite thing about it. Lenore

Clive Lutley
03-31-2008, 01:57 AM
I think youíve captured atmosphere very well and the first impression is very pleasing, which is all important. The composition is challenged though because of the foreground tress leaning out of the painting, and, more importantly, the light source is indeterminable, in that the bright reflections in the background water and the pond can only be caused by a low sun on the horizon Ė but it isnít there. Still, a very nice approach.

Corby
03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
I am somewhat non plussed because I dont know what I am looking at. Is the background very bright strip, light shining on water as in the small foreground pond? Or is it a strip of clear sky on the horizon? Either way it does not ring true. The sky would be as bright as the reflection, or brighter if it is water. If it is a strip of sky on the horizon then the pale blue at the top does not relate to it. It would be a softer more silvery hue of the bright strip?

Innessfollower
04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Thank you all for the great feedback, both positive and constructive. This image is based on a New England sky with a very bright strip of light on the horizon. The painting is taken from actual skies I have seen time and time again. I recently took a picture of the same subject matter and tweaked it a little. I used this sketch for a larger work which I will be posting shortly, and used several ideas from the critiques I received. Thank you again and I really enjoy hearing what everyone has to say.

greensyster
02-20-2009, 04:21 AM
I saw this scene painted in landscape forum not long after I join WC! The lady posted the photo reference. Anyway - great rendition, very soft.

mackb
02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I too love the frame, but definatly not with this work....

I find it too vague and the pond needs to be better defined since it is right in the foreground. And orange and yellow are not bad things, tiny amounts in a painting such as this would help the painting.