PDA

View Full Version : Art scam

MBY
03-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that art scams are alive and well. I just received an e mail from someone wanting to purchase 2 of my daily paintings that they saw on my web page. Here is the email:

"Hi,
Hope this message finds you well .I came across your web page while searching for good artworks and I will like to buy these creative artworks.....
I will be happy to have these selected artworks in our new home. What are there prices exclusive of shipping cost? We are traveling from our Alabama home to our new apartment in Johannesburg, South Africa. Regarding payment,I will be happy to pay you with a Certified Cashier Check. I will appreciate an earlier reply. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Hann."

I thought it was legit, until I googled his name. Guess what, they were already listed on one of the Wet Canvas forums using a similar e mail as being a scammer. Thanks to all the vigilant artists on wet canvas for giving me a heads up!

mb

water girl
03-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you for keeping the scam alert alive!

Deborah Secor
03-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh hey, the name is changed but the scam is still the same... Last one I got was a woman moving from the USA to Belgium, I think. It's amazing that these folks just keep on. Such tenacity leads me to believe someone must fall for it now and then.

Here's one way it works:

"An online buyer agreed to purchase a painting for $250. They then mailed a cashier's check for $4,000. Acknowledging their mistake, they asked me to send, via Western Union, the remainder to the shippers. When I wrote back, they decided to buy an additional few paintings to make the sale up to $1,000. Well, the check turned out to be counterfeit, but if I hadn't queried it, and had merely deposited it, and sent the change on my own check, I would have been out $3000. Normally it might take as long as 12 days for a check to clear. It's pretty goofy, but the prospect of someone wanting to make a purchase does cloud the mind."

So beware!

Deborah

LoveFaces
03-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Yep. Also be aware that checks, particularly if they originate from a different country than the one you reside in, can take weeks or months to legitimately clear. The bank will 'clear' it after whatever grace period that bank's policy states (usually anywhere from 3-5 business days). However, even after your bank 'clears' it, it can still bounce weeks later, leaving you out of your money, artwork, or both.