GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Study on Portraiture Detail
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: H571xW500 pixel
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A learning project to achieve more realistic portraits.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am trying to learn how to draw a more detailed portrait. I am also trying out circularism again, which I don't seem to have the knack for yet. What can I do to up the realism with the texture of the skin and wrinkles?
Also I changed the reflection in his eyes, because I really wanted to see his eyes, and I just noticed I made the irises too small.

billmahler
03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi
Nice start
I'm not expert in this medium, but I can offer some observations on the portrait vs the reference.
This a mavellous face to do- full of stories to tell - I can see why you chose it.
However, the light seems to be flash, or at least head on, making for a difficult portrait without the dramatic shadows a side-lit face offers.
With the front lighting, the face becomes a series of planes of various angles reflecting all or some of the light back at the viewer.
Even the inside of his eyelids are planes, not lines. Yours seem to be trending toward being lines.
The challenge of this picture as I see it - a daunting one - is to capture the proper shape and values of the minute planes with out making them lines.

maw-t
03-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Well I thought the bottom photo was your painting??? If so I dont think it could BE more realistic!

allanom
03-30-2008, 02:08 PM
This should, properly, be in the WIP forum.

Having said that, I will suggest that you block in larger areas of shading long before you ever get to detail, bringing the drawing up in an overall tonal sense. That way you don't get caught up in the detail and lose overall tonal integrity.

Good luck with this!

Allan