GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 48x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is one in series of cityscape paintings I’m working on'<br><br>San Francisco, 2001. The shot was taken from alcatraz. I took away all artificial light sources… so I could have a eerie natural illumination of the city..<br><br>Keep in mind this is a work in progress… and its very involved<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any and all comments welcome

Barbie Bud
03-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Wow, it looks fantastic. Very interesting. Barb

MRSBB
03-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Like the composition James. Hope while you were there you got a chance to go to Pier 49 and get some shopping in. This is very interesting and I'd enjoy the same palette looking out to Alcatraz. Keep having fun.........Lenore

gaensanger
03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Just beautiful!

frazzled
03-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow, it looks fantastic. Very interesting. Barb

Thanks for the compliment Barb.. I’m glad you like it

frazzled
03-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Like the composition James. Hope while you were there you got a chance to go to Pier 49 and get some shopping in. This is very interesting and I'd enjoy the same palette looking out to Alcatraz. Keep having fun.........Lenore

Thanks for the feedback… yes I have stopped off at Pier 49

frazzled
03-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Just beautiful!

Thank you for the compliment…

billmahler
03-29-2008, 07:29 PM
This must be dramatic in real size!
A fresh, complex view of a complex city.
I love Tony Bennet's SF, but this one belongs to you, James.

allanom
03-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Interesting to go monochromatic with it. Maybe the blue is too BLUE -- might have been good to make it a more complex blue with use of mixed in complementaries? Love the dark clouds floating out in the front.

aspybey
03-30-2008, 08:05 PM
I love this, I really get into monochromatic paintings. Since you've taken out all of the artificial light sources, does that mean you're not going to put just a few lights in the building's windows in the skyscape? I think a few twinkling windows & their reflections in the water, might bring an interesting addition. Maybe they could represent candlelight in a black-out, therefore not artificial light?
Not a critique, just a thought, I really like it the way you have it actually.

I would love to see this in person....

frazzled
03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
This must be dramatic in real size!
A fresh, complex view of a complex city.
I love Tony Bennet's SF, but this one belongs to you, James.

thanks for the kind words...

frazzled
03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Interesting to go monochromatic with it. Maybe the blue is too BLUE -- might have been good to make it a more complex blue with use of mixed in complementaries? Love the dark clouds floating out in the front.

Its still a work in progress and I’m toying with ideas…

frazzled
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
I love this, I really get into monochromatic paintings. Since you've taken out all of the artificial light sources, does that mean you're not going to put just a few lights in the building's windows in the skyscape? I think a few twinkling windows & their reflections in the water, might bring an interesting addition. Maybe they could represent candlelight in a black-out, therefore not artificial light?
Not a critique, just a thought, I really like it the way you have it actually.

I would love to see this in person....

I’ll tell you that’s a very interesting idea… you never know I may use it.

frazzled
04-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Updated shot…

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2008/126139-p12.jpg

keenart
04-02-2008, 07:27 AM
My favorite shade of blue.

It would appear SF is suffering from "Global Warming." Or are you toying with a reaccurance of 1906? If so, let me know when the event is to occur, I want to tell Mom to get the "Hxll of of there."

Very nice work!

pacmanJohn
04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I don't know how far you are planning on taking this, but I like it RIGHT where it is. VERY nice!

frazzled
04-03-2008, 08:19 AM
My favorite shade of blue.

It would appear SF is suffering from "Global Warming." Or are you toying with a reaccurance of 1906? If so, let me know when the event is to occur, I want to tell Mom to get the "Hxll of of there."

Very nice work!

I think san francisco is safe for a while… thanks for the compliment…

frazzled
04-03-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't know how far you are planning on taking this, but I like it RIGHT where it is. VERY nice!

Its just about done actually.. The next time I snap a shot it will be finished. I’m working on three different city scenes at once… I kind of rotate around all three

Jodi B
04-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool.. not sure if it's just me but the smaller buildings in the foreground remind me of dice. I'd love to see the real thing.

frazzled
04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
The painting is finished now… you can see it on my blog.

lunchbox
04-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I like how you lead the viewer back to the center - nicely done!

MaryM.
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Nice work! I'm just in awe of this kind of painting, since I'm more of a throw the paint on the canvas kind of artist.

Corby
04-14-2008, 12:52 AM
The age in which we live! It influences our reaction to so many things! What should be a perfectly nice presentation of a famous city, instead because of all of the black holes of the windows it reminds me of just another shell shocked bombed out city. Light reflected in those windows and a drift of clouds that was not "black" as in oil burning would soften it greatly.

futurebird
06-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Wonderful. This feels like night or it could be dawn. Cities are made of rectangualr foens, mostly, but taken as a whole they are quite organic.

goby
06-16-2008, 07:43 PM
I love this! I would hang this on my wall in a heartbeat!
Cheers Goby