PDA

View Full Version : Monocacy Creek

diquattrom
03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-28-2008/83749_100_2600_500X393.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Monocacy Creek
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am planning on submitting this piece to a juried contest. <br><br>What do you think? <br><br>Strengths and Weaknesses.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
C&C Welcome

kathrynlovespets
03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
good contrasts of light and dark

but i think it needs a better defined focal point

I want to focus on the area under the arch of the bridge..but I don't know what you could put there to make it the focus point

tgsloth
03-29-2008, 12:18 AM
I do see Katheryn's point about lack of COI. I'd like to first applaud the color balance of the bridge and the reds and greens beneath it. I think there's a compositional problem with the long, blueish very linear falls at the bottom. It imparts a kind of industrial feeling to what should be a more romantic scene. So I'd look to crop it out and work only with the bridge and river which you've so beautifully depicted.

gaensanger
03-29-2008, 04:17 PM
This is very impressive! Wonderful work.

allanom
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Really like the unusual composition of this. And I disagree about focal point (if one is necessary): it is wonderfully and creatively shifted to the far right, with the breakthrough to the sky through the V-shaped gap under that bridge arch. I think your colours are nicely unusal too. Submit it with pride!!