PDA

View Full Version : My Studio (finished from WIP)

Corby
03-27-2008, 09:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-27-2008/70790_studiofin2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: My Studio (finished from WIP)
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 18X24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
the photo preceding this one was somewhat better as to color and value, this aproximates. maybe just the slightest bit lighter over all than the painting itself. I want to thank everyone who had a look at the progression. It made me enjoy the painting so much...somewhat like a workshop experience with hands on help!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
It is hard to judge quality from a computer image. But can you say where it falls in from 1 to 10 as far as:

color?
technique?
gallery quality?
interest of imagery?
and as a mark of your personal taste/view how does it register as to telling or presenting an interesting story if any?

I would be interested in any comments you could make along these lines. Especially the reason for your conclusion.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2008/70790-studiofin3.jpg

Deesart
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi,

You're very specific about asking for the critique so here goes:

Color -7 I like the palette very much, but there is a lot of white that makes it still feel a bit unfinished to me and the colors are so subdued that the white tends to wash it out a bit more. Greater value contrast, some darker darks under the table or behind the painting might help. You mentioned this photo is lighter too, that might be it.

Technique-8 I like the painterly quality and the highlights on the pots are lovely.

Gallery quality-I don't know

Interest of Imagery-4 I like the studio idea & the brushes. The pots are nicely done and I am most drawn to the plant. The composition is a bit too centered & not quite interesting enough to me. The light fixtures are my least favorite part. I love cats & this one is nicely rendered, but just a bit too pretty and conventional to grab my attention.

Personal taste: The subject, a studio, suggests a possible story, the plant & pots have the most character, but it doesn't really tell a story to me. However my taste runs to rich colors, very painterly, loose work, grungy, wonky images too, so that's where I'm coming from. I'd love to see you really let it go on an image of that plant.

:) Dee

twiggysminis
03-28-2008, 05:31 AM
I like this a great deal .. and with my commercial hat on I think it has tremendous public appeal and therefore great saleability, especially as it is a personal insight into a major part of the artist's life. I like the colours and the composition and the handling of the paint. Looking at it I can imagine what you are like - and may be totally wrong! But it makes you build up an image of the artist.

toraman
03-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Color: 4 (the palette is too pale for me)
Technique: 9
Gallery quality: I have no idea what gallery quality is.
Interest of imagery: 5 (not quite interesting for me, but you know, it just me)

The story telling element is the cat in this painting for me. It looks as if its going to jump out of the painting and chase something.
The weak part of this panting is the palette I think. With a better palette the painting could be quite astonishing. The skethches in the WIP are very good. Some even better than the actual finished painting.

I hope my comment is useful, I just wanted to be sincere.

twiggysminis
03-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Can I speak again? Colour is obviously very personal, but when I first glanced at it I thought of Georges Braque! (she's potty I can hear you say) The muted tones reminded me of his still life pictures and some of your shapes on the periphary to me are slightly unexplained and so I like your contrast of the conventional and slightly more unconventional - whether it is intentional or not.

Ronni
03-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Corby
First, I want to say I am not surprised; your studio looks exactally the way I assumed:) everything is in order, under controll, clean and soft, concervative, warm and comfortable. I am in the party of those who are more interested in the message and feelings the art expresses. I am more then sattisfied of the technique and quality. About interest of imagery you ask, because I know you and your abilities, I permit myself to tell you I miss a lot the other part of yours, immagination, creativity and originality. It looks too much alike thousands of studios and paintings. Nothing special in it, but very well done. Give me some freedom, wildness, interest....poetry...
I know it is there in your blood hiding.

Clive Lutley
03-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Thank you Corby for giving so an intimate glimpse into your life.
I don’t think I have the ability to rate your work on a scale and I haven’t the slightest idea what a gallery looks for, if anything.
I sort of touched indirectly on this during the WIP stage and I still find the motive on the canvas well, odd, because I don’t think you’ve ever painted something in this style, have you?
Apart from that I think you’ve painted something very personal and it is what it is.
Just one thing that always catches my eye though are the paintbrushes which all have pristine white bristles!

zoropb
03-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Corby I would not even comment but since it is you and you have helped me a lot in the past, I struggled to comment but here goes.

color? 3....I like more color or more monochromatic paintings. I do not like the middle ground in paintings.

technique? 8 Not much doubt here.

gallery quality? I have traveled in the last 4 months like crazy and visited hundreds of galleries in at least 12 countries besides the museums to learn and see what is going on. I would say in most of what is happening today in big city galleries it would not fly. In some smaller town type places it might.

interest of imagery? For me a 3. It is nice to see your personal studio but I think this is because we know you some what from here. My studio looks like a tornado went through it compared to yours Corby.

As a mark of your personal taste/view how does it register as to telling or presenting an interesting story if any? First let me say I do not like the usual everyday stuff unless it is painted in some way that the painting transcends the mundane. Though many elements of the painting are painted well I find the painting not to be of much interest and quite bland. This painting does not even reach the ankle level of the beauty, color, and flow you have painted in your past paintings.

Corby this was not easy to say to you as I hold you in high regard.

Sergio

tony1
03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I agree with Ronni, this is exactly what I would envision your studio would look like.

I mostly want to comment on the color. I like it a lot. I can appreciate the comments about more contrast in values, but this is a different style painting. A style I like to do my self sometimes. Very soft, almost subdued. Not every painting has to be in your face impressionistic values, big ranges. So I guess it's a 9.5 (like to old days in gymnastics I don't believe in 10s).

I think is it very good in telling a story about how an artist works. What kind of environment he/she likes to work in.

Anyway, I like it a lot. My only criticism is your choice of painting on the easel. I much rather have seen a Corby classic. But that's just me.

MRSBB
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Corvus. You have a really nice painting in that you have conveyed what your studio looks like. You mentioned living in a trailer. Having lived in one when I first retired I know how organized a person has to be in limited space.
Color....I really like the color palette.
Technique.....As always the technique is high on the scale.
Gallery quality....Thats anyones guess, but I don't think it would be the average persons choice of subject to invest money on.
Interest.........I find it very interesting because it speaks of you and gives us a personal glimsp inside you space.
Personal taste........Yes, personally I like it, but there are things I don't care for.......... I don't care for the white lamp at the back or the jade plant in front of the canvas. I think we were all wanting to see some form of painting on the canvas other than patchwork. I also think adding different hair colors to your brushes would add more interest.........Things I like best are the way you have set up the easel and black lamp. The lighting is teriffic. The cat is just my favorite and gives tons of personality to the painting. One thing that is missing from your painting that I was expecting, would have been a bookshelf with tons of reference books as you have such a vast amount of knowledge that you always share with us and which is so appreciated.
Keep having fun with your painting, it does wonders for the soul..Lenore

Spyderbabe
03-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Corby,
Its a very well orgainized still life and little cat brings it alive. As does the plant (succulent?) They give us a real clue as to the artist's loves.

The colors are harmonious and the darkest values form a neat traingular frame encompassing the canvas and easel. All so interesting and well developed. But the center piece, within that frame - the canvas itself is a cipher to me. Those squares! Its like a beautifully plated meal without the meat.
Give us a little more ;-)

(small note - the legs of the stool seem to stop mid air - could be the photo)

Barbie Bud
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
I think years from now after you're long gone this will be one of those paintings that hang in the museum with your other works and people will come by and say "oh look, that's what his studio looked like. Barb

Corby
03-28-2008, 03:15 PM
What a marvelous response from all of you! Thanks so much! check out the reposted painting, the second image. This is totally accurate for color and value. Quite a difference from the first one...

Dee thank you for your input. You have put the painting in perspective for me...it was done of myself and for myself. I can see that now and I do realize then that the interest would be pretty much mine alone also! Good points! The "B" would love you, she is quite an elegant creature. At 76 (cat years) she is looking pretty good. I did not consider that a limited palette of broken color would suffer a weakness when paired with a lot of very light color tints that are then pushed to white. The second image is better at showing that there is actually color in those whites. Thanks much Dee!

twiggysminis Thank you for your comments twig! They fit in nicely as the flip side of Dees comment. I think you are right that the painting probably would find some interest in a rural community. hhehehe...I will not be presenting it for some sophisticated juried show! I am pleased that you draw some pleasure from it. Thats what it is about! No...your comment about G.Braque is right on. I was playing a game with broken color and cubist tendencies mixed with circular fluid line. I have painted for more years than most people would want to think of ,but my approach to color has always been intuitive. I have finally decided it is time to learn some of the rules, and enhance my abilities!

Ronni my friend...I think you nailed me! I have always been a mass of insecurity, because of that my environment must be stable and controlled...yes, the painting does reflect that...my, how we tell on ourselves! What you have conveyed is important...would I dare...

toraman! Your frankness is much appreciated. The WC! would not be of much good to any of us if we just patted each others backs and said "well done". Your comment is right on about some of the progressionals looking better than the finished work. It seems to all be more in the camera than in the brush! So the repost is good. It was my first attempt at using a severely restricted palette. The excitement (if there is to be any) comes more from the tonal values than the color!

Clive! How insightful! You are right I have never painted anything like the canvas before. There were so many things that might have been done with it. I especially liked the idea you suggested of the lay in of the painting as a whole. I chose to do something that would function for the painting as a whole, but would not itself be a strong point of interest. The colors on the canvas are the colors that are used in every other part of the picture. Not only a limited palette of red, blue and yellow, but the colors were broken, not pure hues to begin with. The color pattern on the canvas was just to set the color theme as it were. Notice how the dark lamp rises out of the foreground interest on the right side, frames the canvas and then turns our attention back down through it to the foreground. On the left hand side, the light colored edge of the canvas converges with the silver lamp above it and accomplishes the same thing. Interesting, the brushes have their textures and are not white mostly. There is a clutch of unused hog bristle there that is white. I also portrayed them as flats...I seldom use flats, they are filberts and rounds.

Sergio Excellent points made! And they fit in nicely with the comments of others. I think there are some of us naturally attuned to the publics interests as to what pleases them artistically. Others like myself sort of paint what we are , which may not be terribly exciting for the world at large. This is a happy thing, giving as it does more room for personal growth. I like the comparison made with other works of mine. It is an extremely useful observation because for once I have the technical reasons as to why it is so! Thanks Sergio. To hold someone in high regard is to tell them the truth. I appreciate your speaking!

Tony1 Thank you Tony, you seem to recognize and understand the limitations I had imposed on myself! I will be doing some more limited palette paintings. Probably with pure hues as well as broken color. I am already beginning to see the necessity of matching palette to the emotional content of the painting....

MRSBB! hehheh...that jade plant and that canvas seem to be somewhat a burr under everyones saddle! Well I do understand the objections and the reasons behind them...but it is what my studio is like. Books? I moved into this tiny tiny trailer from a large 5 bedroom home. Most all of the library is gone. I do have a small cache of reference books. hheheheh my study is next to my studio. three bunk beds one stacked atop the other and only a small entry to each bed, the rest of them being built in.the beds are stripped out as such and I am using it like a series of shelves for my computer, books, and so on. No way to display or have easy access! Thats why no books! Thanks Lenore for your comments!

Spyderbabe! Thanks for your response! Yes the chair legs do go all the way down. The photo is a mess. The second one posted above is much better. I am being forced, I can hear the bones popping from my twisted arm! I must do something about that central canvas?...really? I am going to have to consider this!

Barbie Bud AH OH! Do I hafta get that good? You really set the bar high BB! Thanks for the accolade!

tgsloth
03-29-2008, 02:20 PM
As you've received so much comprehensive and thoughtful advice already, I just want to toss in a few observations which may stimulate some thoughts regarding this fine painting:

The cat's great. Not just painted well but creating a narrative tension. Is the cat doing to get painted by stumbling into something wet? Is it going to knock over the brushes?

The pots are depicted as glazed and shiny and this is very well done. But I wish for less muted colors. Some brighter hue accents in the fired pot glazes might enhance the work.

The position of the plant in front of the painting bothers me. Who would put a plant there? It seems to block access to the painting. And it's a strange twisty plant which reminds me of the old folk song: "Barbara Allen".

All the brushes are white. Unless you've just bought a huge kit of brand new bristle brushes, I think the brush tones would be more varied.

Why not a more interesting painting on the easel? Perhaps half done.

Last, it would have be cool IMO to have turned on one of the studio lights and shown its effect.

Corby
03-29-2008, 06:19 PM
ok...................tg added the final brick! I will bow to the will of the forum :) ( sounds like ancient Rome) I will bow somewhat :D ...I will not add color, it will remain in the same midtone value and drab color. I will not recompose image as far as the plant goes. In my life it is logical and it is my studio. Though it would have been nice to paint with one of the lights on...I am not certain about that, it would cause a virtual re-do of the whole painting. Here is an example of one I did that way. A corner of my once that was living room. As you can see it is a whole different beastie...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2008/70790-threeam.jpg

I will make some changes...maybe the forum will toast me with a round of Kool Aid...or more likely...just toast me.:lol:

tgsloth
03-29-2008, 06:33 PM
We, who are about to paint, salute you.

allanom
03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Simply enjoying seeing the studio environment and ambience of a fellow creator.

Corby
03-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Thank you Allanom! Hopefully this posting will push this item out of the system, I can get back to and finish my portrait. I decided I would in a basic way follow Clive's suggestion for the canvas. This way I am not really contributing a new image to the painting. I do not want the painting to itself be the focal point.... anyway maybe this change is too meager to matter but here it is...and I must admit that bare as it is, I like the change...remember of course the vagaries of the digi...the photo is not quite square...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2008/70790-stud.jpg

Spyderbabe
03-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Ah, theres a unity and a sense to the painting now.... the narrative is complete.
;-)

Corby
03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Thank you Spyderbabe, that's what I hoped for!

MRSBB
03-31-2008, 11:09 PM
As Paul Harvey would say, and now the rest of the story. Good job Corvus.Lenore

diquattrom
03-31-2008, 11:53 PM
nice inviting atmosphere. I want to hold your kitten.

Barbie Bud
04-01-2008, 01:13 AM
I like the change, very nice. Barb

Theolwon
04-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Very good painting but the lamps have to go! You created a nice quiet mood of the studio with the cat. I also suggest you create some shadows in the white area, good job........... Theolwon

Clive Lutley
04-01-2008, 05:31 AM
“ ’Twas bravely done. ” (Much Ado About Nothing, Willy Shakespeare). Resolved two question marks with one brilliantly executed change. That’s it – exceptional painting.