PDA

View Full Version : Northern Stars

La_
03-27-2008, 02:24 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2008/84648-Northern__Stars.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2008/84648-northern_stars_dtl.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Northern
Stars
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
spa chick weekend inspired

maureen, lauri, lorainne, marise, joanne, lesley

fun bunch

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
signed but open to suggestions of all sorts

Ms.Understood
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I think the title should be Alphabet Soup.
I like the easy feel of the women together and their individuality despite the uniform look as well as the well defined expressions with such a vague soft touch.

loop
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
someone has been peeing in the pool

Spyderbabe
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
La - you should make a print for everyone!

Corby
03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
With my "literal inclination" I was totally surprised as to what this actually was, in contrast with the title. Yes I think it is nicely done. I cannot however, now get the urinalysis suggested by "loop" out of my mind. What would forestall such identifications is to do your far light blue horizon, a lighter shade of that same yellow...it would also unify the pool with the area surrounding it, as well as enhance your semi-circular composition.

StellaLenoir
03-28-2008, 12:47 AM
I love all your work that I have seen so far! I dont know if you care, but your art would sell TONS where I am in North West Florida.

La_
03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
we're a little beyond 'peeing' in the pool! and if 'we' did, we'd better go see a doctor cause there's lots of alizarin in that yellow!

i'm trying for a yellow sunset in front and full night behind ... it's all pretty cartoony and might have been better as a 4x6 postcard image. the faces are quite loose so as not to really commit any one true recognizable person, just women really, so i don't mind that, the background looses me tho, ... how do you add background that won't compete with simple structure forms? certainly lighter colors, but what content .. right now the hot tub looks like it's overhanging the whole earth ... dunno, maybe i'm looking for disguise for cartoony and i should just work it more, sigh, ...

la

MRSBB
03-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi La. The idea is really nice, but since someone mentioned the pee, I can't get it out of my head. My Father -in -law had a sign by his pool that read, "I won't swim in your toilet if you don't pee in my pool." Really think I would change the color od the pool water......Lenore

John Jaster
03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Apart from all the urinalysis discussion, I do get the solar theme and see both the pool as a sun and the faces of the bathers also shining like the sun. A good concept.

tgsloth
03-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Very creative idea and I like the way you've varied the position of the girls. Two thoughts:

The yellow eyes are distracting to me. Eyes are so important and the way you've rendered them distracts me from the overall feeling of the painting.

Changing the colors of each bathing suit might enhance the painting.