PDA

View Full Version : Hourglass

stuarthampton
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-26-2008/135196_Hourglass2BLOG.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hourglass
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 80X100cm
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This for me is about old age and death- but presented in a peaceful and fearless way- the old man has had a realisation that all physical actions during his life have been almost inconsequential due to the small scale influence that they bear in the grand scheme of existence. In a token of good humour he plays his violin for one last time before his stem is cut (hence the stemless rose- which incidently is supposed to be composed of human flesh) and he is free- his ties to the earth are severed and his swan song is his last will and testament.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I did consider naming this painting 'swan song' but thought Hourglass might be more appropriate because i wanted to draw attention to the fact that i'v purposefully painted the street in a manor representative of an hourglass to signify the passage of time- with all the sand (the follage and the snail etc- which represent his memories and experiences) at the bottom....... Do you think i should re-name this so that the hourglass representation remain more ambiguous??

MRSBB
03-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Hi Stuart. I think you have a very strong painting here. I learned a long time ago that all the trivial things you have lying on the ground are of no importance. The song he has coming from his heart, through his violin, tells it all. If any of us replace his face with one we knew and lost, I would call it Farewell. A very thought provoking painting. Thank you for sharing..Lenore

thomas w
03-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Great painting. I like the name as is. Most people wouldn't recognize the hourglass shape without the hint from the title.
Thomas W

D.W. Flint
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Nicely done. It evokes a lot of thought and emotion..

greensyster
03-28-2008, 01:58 AM
This is getting really annoying! I keep coming back to this thread to look at your creation. So much is beautiful (plus a few things that grate to my eyes) and expresses the loveliness about that very natural event in old age of death in the sense of a journey - saying Adieu to friends, garden, pets, comfort places before leaving for foreign shores. Congratulations on the concept!