PDA

View Full Version : Golden Light

Adriana Meiss
03-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Hello,

This is a painting that I started more than 2 years ago. It was almost finished but because I was having trouble with some shadows I decided to set it aside.

Since there is a lot going on in the area during the months of April and May, I decided to resurrect it. This time around I knew exactly what to do: get rid of the shadows so I could focus on a different area.

The reference is a photo taken in the peak of summer, at 8:00PM. My question is, does it really feel like golden light to you? Comments welcome.

Wallis prof. and a mix of pastels.
Thank you for looking!

CJMonty
03-26-2008, 06:34 PM
It certainly has a Golden Glow about it. I really like it.

Carolynn :):):heart::heart:

Colorix
03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Adriana, while it is a fine painting, I have to say it doesn't feel golden to me. The trees in light come close, but the grass is a cool green.

RooGal
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
It's a beautiful painting Adrianna! I simply love it.

It feels like very late in the day. I think I've gone back to look at it 4 or 5 times already. I can relate that coolness in shadow with areas of NY/NJ.

Paula Ford
03-26-2008, 07:36 PM
This is GORGEOUS!!! WOW!! :eek:

Did I mention this is GORGEOUS??? :D

Paula

Scottyarthur
03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Beauuutifuuul yes yes yes. but I do agree with charlie not quite golden. Maybe some lite touches of lemon yellow or maybe some Gamblin Radiant yellow to the very tops of the trees. ? maybe even try yellow orche straight from the tube.

qpdoll
03-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Maybe not quite 'golden' but this is VERY good!

nvcricket
03-27-2008, 01:48 AM
This is GORGEOUS!!! WOW!! :eek:

Did I mention this is GORGEOUS??? :D

Paula

I agree with Paula. If you want this more golden........ummmm.......hard to do with greens (cool color). You accentuated the coolness of the greens on the bank where the sunlight is, by highlighting the grass with a cool light value blue. If you changed that to a similar value on the yellow side of the green scale it may make a more "golden" effect. This is only a thought. I love this just as it is.

Carol

Donna T
03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
I think this is beautiful, Adriana. To me, it has the look of a late afternoon in Western New York (where I'm from) and it's a very different look than a Maryland late afternoon. Since it's so much hotter and drier here in Maryland our grass never stays as lush and green as it does farther north. Our summer grass is paler, more washed out with more yellows and golds in it. I'm always amazed at how much greener everything is when I go home for a visit. Even with a strong golden light on your grass I think you can only change the color so much or it won't look natural. Your lavender mountain also tells me that it is late in the day. I also love the deep, cool shadows under the trees on the right. I'm thinking that they wouldn't be quite so cool during the middle of the day.

Donna

Susan Jenkins
03-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Hmmm..... I'm thinking this is just flat out gorgeous! I don't have an issue with the lighting. Perhaps the title "golden light" might be suggesting something that doesn't need to be addressed, but it's really beautiful no matter what you call it!!!

did anyone mention that incredible water!!!!

Wow... I just love this.

:) susan:clap:

bnoonan
03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
I want to learn how to do this. You are able to capture a mood in your painting. I can feel the calmness and sink into the colors here.

It's grande! Barb

pastellar
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
This is just beautiful! Change the title to "Evening light"!

Adriana Meiss
03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Scottyarthur, Gamblin Radiant Yellow? Could you translate that into pastel Talk:lol: Believe me, that poor paper has tried all the yellows I have!

I did make some tiny changes: I added speckles of orange and white to the tree and I used a "warmer yellow" right below the sunlit tree branches. This is really the area I wanted to emphasize. I cannot change the color of the grass in the foreground simply because the paper cannot take any more pastel. Considering how I have abused this paper, it's amazing it still holds pastel!
I do not know if the changes show in this pic:

Maybe it's just me, but although I have a fairly good idea about cool and warm colors, and know these terms are relative to other colors in the painting, I get very confused when it comes to greens. I wonder if my coming from the tropics has something to do with this. After all, most of the color theories are from northern latitudes. I would like to hear what you think about this. (Carol, Charlie? )

Pam, Donna, Yes, it's late in the day, about 8 PM.
The pic is from where I live, in Central NY. We rarely get over 90F in the summer so the grass stays green till winter. When I visit friends in Maryland in late summer, I'm so aware of the color change: It seems to me that just south of PA it gets drier, but even that "pale, washout" yellow is beautiful and gives a feeling of warmth!

Susan, pastellar, you were right on. Why call attention to that kind of light? I'll like Evening Light very much. Pastellar, thanks for suggesting it.

bnoonan, This is actually a second version and a very different one from the first. The first one was darker and softer, I was trying to convey the feeling of almost evening. I sold it, but unfortunately, I do not have good pics of it.

I'm sorry if I do not mention each of you, but I really, really appreciate your comments. Thanks again,

binkie
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Adriana, This is very lovely. It is so serene.

binkie

Charles Perera
03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
You have done well by recuperating this painting from your old unfinished paintings. Pick up some more of them, it would be worth while as you have a good painting style.

Charles

mississhippi
03-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi Adriana, this is a beautiful painting. I love the colour in the sky and the way it is reflected in the water. It is a different light to any I'm used to as it seems so bright still at 8pm in this scene. It must be beautiful where you live at that time of year. I'm afraid I couldn't suggest ways to create a more golden colour as I am still a beginner with this medium, but it is a wonderful painting as it is.

Adriana Meiss
03-28-2008, 10:47 AM
binkie,
Thank you; yes the place is very serene. It's actually fenced up, but it's always well maintained by the city.

Charles,
I do have at least 5 more half paintings where that one came from: pieces that started well, but as soon as I couldn't handle some area, I put them aside knowing the time would come when I would feel ready for them.

Elaine,
I took liberties with the photo. The sky was white and the light on the trees did not come close to the real thing. However the picture stayed in my mind and there is some of it in the painting. I actually think that the light was more orange... Anyway, I overdid some of the colors just to add drama.
About the kind of light, I've been in this country for more than 20 years and I'm still fascinated or puzzled to have so much light in the summer. I find it amazing that even at 9:00 PM in the summer there is still some light (the sun sets about 8:30).
Thank you,

Merriel
03-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Wow. Your light in this is wonderful. Beautiful greens and great shadow.

Doesn't it feel good when you can pick up a painting that you've had trouble with and just know what to do. I love that when it happens. It just feels right.

Beautiful work.

merriel

paul444
03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
A beautiful painting, you have captured a nice warm feel to this landscape.

pastelmimigt
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Gorgeous painting. It's so peaceful, an excellent composition and the colors are beautiful. My only comment is on the lavender trees in the distance. I think I'd tone down that color a bit as it stands out. To answer your question - I don't see a lot of golden in this. But it does give a very peaceful feeling and is very pleasant to view.

Michele