PDA

View Full Version : Time stands still

billmahler
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/03-25-2008/111636_casablanca4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Time stands still
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My last portrait for a while. I had started this a long time ago as a lark. There are no larks, are there?
The more I painted this, the more I appreciated the beauty of this love story, and of course, of Ingrid Bergman.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Too corny?

MRSBB
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Bill. Nice sentiment in this one. What ever happened to your Obama painting?........Lenore

graymare
03-25-2008, 10:53 PM
It's timeless & your painting is lovely.
Carol

D.W. Flint
03-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Another good one Bill. I miss those old movies and actors...

creodont
03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Great picture of you and your wife Bill. Bow ties were big back then...............john..........Captures the moment of a great movie.

tgsloth
03-26-2008, 12:03 AM
(A) Terrific but lacks the richer hues of the OJ portrait. I would not have made this critique had I not seen your other work but it's too monochrome.
(B) Bring back Obama. Hillary promises not to crash the site again. She's too wrapped up with getting her Bosnia story right.

Clive Lutley
03-26-2008, 06:04 AM
"Larks no, not never corny my dear!". Ingrid Bergman looks perfect, of course Bogey too, but Ingrid is probably the more difficult to do. Perfect mood set by your painting. Just can't quite make out what's happening below Bogey's bow tie ...

tony1
03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Bergman is perfect. You captured her features/expression in this scene very well. And I imagine she would be the harder of the 2 to paint. Not much "character" in her face, just beauty (imo).

While Bogart is identifiable I don't feel he's at your level of excellence. With you previous portraits the features were strong. I think it's his eyes that bother me. And the left eye (his) is a problem. The right eye has captured the far away sleepy look, the left doesn't.

If this was anyone else, if I had not seen what you've done on previous works, I would not have commented on Bogart. He is identifiable but not up to your standards of work, sorry.

I like the semi monochromatics as a choice. I think it fits the mood and era.

Still a great piece. And if it's the scene I think it is you've captured the moment.

billmahler
03-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks all for looking and commenting.
TG.. thanks again for noticing the colors on my OJ pic. It's maddening to me that I had to pick such an unpopular subject for what I think is the easily best portrait I've ever done, by a long shot.
I chose these colors - burnt umber, yellow ochre, naples yellow and titanium white because that's how I think of that era.
I was tempted several times to add some other colors.. especially while painting her lush lips.. but I thought better of it.

Yes, Tony and Clive, she was much more difficult to paint.. she's simply flawless... so I spent a lot more time on her and I felt when I had finished that I was 95% there with her.

Bogart's another story.. loads of distinguishing features.. so I had the likeness quickly, but struggled with his expression.

The right eye has captured the far away sleepy look, the left doesn't.

Yes, I think you're nailed it Tony. I'll revisit the eyes. I think I have the rest of him.