PDA

View Full Version : Another six string down

Merethe T
03-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi all!
Had all day to paint, and spent it on #2 on the guitarist series. I'm keeping them in the same style and colors. This is probably not done, as I haven't had time to let it rest yet, hands are pretty hard to do, so there might be some fixing to do...the guitar might need more work too, but I didn't want to put in too much detail, more suggest the features of the guitar.

These are so much fun to do, can't wait to start #3! :D

C&C much wanted on this one too, still got so much to learn about portraits.

FC's and pastel pencils on Canson, 23x32 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2008/22081-IMG_9876.jpg_x550

Merethe

Tatijana
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Wow

And Did I Read Somewhere That You Were Not An Expert On Portraits?

WC Lee
03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I second that WOW :) .. even better than the last one ...

svo164
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
A third wow.
I opened two WC windows so I could look at this one and Man on Black together. The detailed hands and shadowed face are perfect in this one, just as the reverse is true for the other. I can imagine this (would you call it a theme, this use of shadow and light) consistent but surprising among the pieces in your series.
Sometimes it is hard for me as a viewer to imagine improvements in something I really like, but I can't imagine detail on Cash's hands not distracting from his wonderful face. But if you change it, I know I'll look at it and think, "Of course."

You should be proud of these. Isn't it just plain FUN when something goes so very right?
Beautiful.
Sandra

RooGal
03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
I knew this would be stunning when I saw the artist. I like this very much, as well as the first one in your series Merethe. Love the moods they generate. It's a bit of a departure from the norm and you certainly seem to be getting your head around portraiture!

Beautiful! Looking forward to #3.

maw-t
03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Double Wow!!!!!!

binkie
03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
This one is wonderful, just like your first!!! I have to ask, and it has nothing to do with the painting, but who is he? I don't keep up with who's who in the entertainment world much any more.

binkie

water girl
03-24-2008, 06:58 PM
You get another :clap: :clap: for one more outstanding piece of work. Stunning!

Merethe T
03-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow, thank you all so much, I'm glad you like it! This series is pure fun and joy for me, as I really admire these guys...

binkie - this is Stevie Ray Vaughan, the great blues-rock guitarist who tragically died in a helicopter-crash in 1990, after a concert in Alpine Valley (hence the title of the painting). But, alas... - I can't take credit for the title either, it is inspired by Stevie's brother Jimmie, who wrote&recorded the song "Six strings down" as a tribute to his late brother and other great blues guitarists...SRV has been one of my favorite musicians for years, and I loved painting him...:)

Merethe

Kathryn Wilson
03-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow Cravia! Wow! Wow!

Need I say more? :)

qpdoll
03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
I have an oil of SRV that bought and I luv it and I luv this too!! Great job!

chewie
03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
ha, before i scrolled enough to see the intials on the guitar, i thought, hmm, looks like srv! this is super, its has such *energy* too, not just a likeness. well done!! i'll be watching your threads to see who comes up next, you and i could easily share cd's i think! i LOVE srv! i cried when he died, so tragic.

Bringer
03-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Hej Merethe,

Quality !

Kind regards,

Josť

K Taylor-Green
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow! From me, too! Amazing work, Merethe!

sonita
03-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Excellent!!
Soni

arlenebc
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Absolutely amazing -- even better than your first one. I'll be anxiously waiting for #3!

Arlene

rhapsodyerin
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Wonderful painting.:thumbsup: :clap: He has such an intense look about him. Looking forward to number 3........

Scottyarthur
03-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Nice job with stevie love his music ? is he playing cross roads.

winecountry
03-25-2008, 01:49 AM
wonderful and love the ideas, will be fun to watch unfolding...this is very like a scratchboard in feel, so if you go to that forum they may have some help for you on hands etc...only thing that catches my eye is the veins on his arm, with the light so sharp it looks like an edge instead of skin...may need more transitions there.
Colleen

M Douglas
03-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Awesome job!!!

Melodie

edencompton
03-25-2008, 08:08 AM
This awesome, Merethe. I really like the graphic quality of the design -- it's very eye catching!

AliciaS
03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Merethe, Love Stevie! I knew it was him right away! beautiful job on this!!
Love the lighting on the hair!

Muffin_4377
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
GORGEOUS Mere!!!

Yip didn't even need to look at the initials to know who it was!! lol...
K one nit pick and it's his left hand (fretboard) it reads fine, just something is a tad off.

And here's the internal question!!...what is it with guitar players and black leather vests!!! Can't say I have ever known one that didn't own at least one!!! (which I must say, you captured very well in this painting)

also can I put in a request?!!! Not sure if your series of 4 will include him....but gonna toss this out. How about one of Jeff Healy? One of Canada's greats, and one we lost way too early. Plus just a thought, the way he played (guitar in lap) might add some interest to the series (not like it
s really gonna need it..LOL)

Keep Going SISTER!! This series is gonna ROCK (Yes pun intended...LOL)

Pat Isaac
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Great series, Merethe...and this one is even better than the first. The emergence from the background is handled very well.

Pat

Holley
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
This is very kewl Merethe, sorry I missed the first one, I look forward to the next one!

bnoonan
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I was hoping there would be a "play" button so I could hear the music accompany the piece! Great job! Barb

Merethe T
03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments, I sure do appreciate it! :)

As some of you suggested, I need to do some tweaking on the hands. The veins' edges are softer in RL, but I'll take a closer look. And it might be a good idea to do some hand-studies, those are really hard to do...

Hey muff, there ya are!! Not a bad idea there, it would make an interesting approach to a painting....and he was indead a fine guitar player! Gotta go search for JH refs, who knows.... :)
(and as it happens, my guitar playing soulmate does not own a black leather vest.....not anymore.... :D ;))

Merethe

nvcricket
03-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Merethe,

What a great series you are embarking on! You must really love doing these, a marriage of two of your favorite past times! Art is about expression of feelings whether on paper or through the voice, you have made a marvelous blend of the two mediums. They sing!

Carol