PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Mar 24 Thru 30

K Taylor-Green
03-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Morning gang! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives!

We had a lovely Easter with my sister, her family, and my youngest daughter.
Her little son, Owen, who can be such a problem when traveling, was doing great! He is not quite three and he has always hated to ride in the car, sometimes screaming the whole trip! She found out he gets car sick, badly!
Now, some dramamine before he leaves home and they have a peaceful drive and a happy child. Megan feels so bad that she didn't know this when he was a baby, but it wasn't til he could tell her his tummy hurt that she had a clue.
Anyway, there was lots of good food, and Jo made THE CAKE. Yep, it is a cake that has to be described in capitol letters.It is a mocha cream, fudge cake, with toffee. Restaurants have asked to buy the recipe. She has been known to take THE CAKE to a family celebration in places like Damon's steakhouse, and other places.

Kansas, my young Lab is healing nicely from her attack in the dog kennel. I don't think it will leave a scar.

How was everyones Easter?

Deborah Secor
03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you had a good Easter, Kate! THE CAKE also sounds terrific...can you catch calories digitally? No, guess I'm okay... :D

We had a good one. Here's where I was at 6:30 yesterday:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2008/23609-2008lobostadium.jpg
Can you see me there in the front row on the far right side? :lol: No? Well, just me and 18,000 other people worshiping God! It was coooooooold but worth it. The Harlem Gospel Choir rocked the place to the max! Then in the afternoon we did dinner at mom's place and for once the ham was juicy and tender. I cooked it Saturday, sliced it yesterday, slathered it with my homemade pineapple sauce, and then reheated it sealed in aluminum foil. So often it's gotten all dried out in reheating it at her place, but this worked.

My son was there, of course, but bleary eyed. He'd stayed up all night making 80 gallons of coffee for the crowd at the stadium. He and the others who are going on a mission trip to Macedonia in August were selling coffee, hot choclate and donuts to raise funds. I suspect they made a serious dent with coffee sales alone yesterday! I happily parted with my $1...

We had a rather scary incident at our ministry house recently and it's helped us to evaluate things. We're shutting the house down and considering a move. We realize now that after a year of caring for homeless people and doing 3 weekly Bible study breakfasts that we need partners to help us, as well as a much-needed respite. We're going to take time to evaluate and see what the next thing is.... In time we hope to open a Chaplain's Office on the Street, God willing.

But today I'm back to the grindstone writing and prepping my art class. This week it's clouds and skies...

Deborah

Merethe T
03-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you both had a good Easter! :)

Traditionally Easter is family time here in Norway, lots of people take off to their cabins in the woods/mountains, the cities get pretty quiet.
We've had perfect weather, sunshine everyday and lots of snow, great for ski enthusiasts...(not for me,lol). It's been so cold however, and I'm ready for spring! Hopefully we'll see more of it during April...

It's been nice and quiet, did a concert Friday, and spent the rest of the days with family, sunny days and good food. We stayed home this year, been a few busy months lately...got a week off from work and it was goood! Back to work tomorrow, but today is all about painting....yay! ;)

Hope everyone's good!

Merethe

Pat Isaac
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Sounds as if you all enjoyed the day. I have heard the Harlem Gospel Choir, they are awesome. THE CAKE sounds really scrumptious...no calories over the computer....
One of our daughters and family were here yesterday for dinner and also a few friends. She has our oldest grandchildren so they each brought their respective girlfriend/boyfriend.
The weather was pleasant though a bit chilly and this is the first year that we haven't hid eggs outside for the grandchildren. They do grow....
Pat

bogbeast
03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I spent most of last week in North Carolina, sorting my mother's massive needlework collection...

She must have had hundreds of projects in all stages of non-completion, lots never opened as well as supplies up the wazoo. Her work was absolutely lovely, but OY, trying to organize and appropriately dispose of it all! Some of the projects went to friends who could complete them, along with as much of the supplies as we could push on them. My sister and I each brought some home, --at least as much as I could imagine doing in a reasonable span of time (like 2-3 years!)-- but I fear that 100s and 100s of dollars worth will end up unsold at the retirement community garage sale, and be land filled.

At least my dad seemed relieved to have the overwhelming project done, and now has space in his attic. It makes a big change in environment for him--space available on shelves and in closets, as we also took her clothes to the nearby hospice gift shop--but I think he will be okay with it. He's carried some of this stuff to probably 15 or more homes over the past 50 years, since I was small.

Certainly, my siblings and I have come home determined to clean out every nook and cranny of our own homes!!! and never again buy anything extra... otherwise, I might have brought back even more, thinking "maybe someday". But, are more colors of pastels really extra?

Thankfully my trip home was uneventful, and I was even able to catch the tail end of church (to my children's delight when I walked into Sunday school). My treasures came thru the airline luggage system on time and unscathed--a miracle in and of itself--and now I just need to figure out how to make time in my life for learning to needlepoint!

CJMonty
03-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Libby I absolutely LOVE needlework, I too have a decent collection of "stuff" everywhere. No where near as much as your Mum's by the sound of things. Would any of the local Craft groups or Church Craft groups take some of them offf your hands for you rather than tossing what's left into landfill:confused::confused:.

It seems such a shame to have to throw any of it away. I know occassionally here things like that from "Deceased Estates" get sent on to places like The Embroiderers or Needlework Guilds. Do you have anything like that over where you guys are.

Sounds like everyone had a great Easter.

Continue to have a Great Week.
Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::grouphug:

bogbeast
03-24-2008, 11:47 PM
CJ, I can sure relate to hating to throw any of this stuff away, although I swear we found at least 1,000 needles both attached to work and in cases!

Her friends were taking things for their friends as well as the needlework group in their retirement community, but most of the other ladies in that group knit, and don't do needlepoint. Most of it will be put up at the next auxiliary garage sale that helps support the retirement community, and the greater community of Burlington is encouraged to come--with luck and good advertising, a lot will be sold there. Hopefully, little of it will actually be wasted!

I would happily have done a big sale myself, but I just can't do it from 3,000+ miles away...and my dad couldn't track down places for all of it to go. As it was, we left him with six boxes to ship, probably 8 for the auxiliary sale, and at least 10 for Goodwill to pick up , and that after delivering mounds of clothes and taking 10 boxes of stuff and keepsakes with us!

Dot Hoffman
03-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Bogbeast, if they haven't heard of it, instead of sending all that wonderful stuff to the landfill, they could try Freecycle (besides Goodwill) . I'll bet it would go. Everything I've listed on Freecycle has disappeared in less than a day. Freecycle is a Yahoo group, and it's purpose is to keep things out of the landfills. Just a thought :)

bogbeast
03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks Dot, I'll pass it on!!

IdahoHat
03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Dot and Bogbeast
We have Freecycle in our area and it seems to work well. I know the feeling of going home from sorting through a loved one's "stuff" and wantng to clean out your own "stuff."
K - so glad your grandson AND the lab are doing better.

Deborah - sounds like a wonderful time. I just love Gospel music and since I came to Virginia Monday, my daughter and I have been listening to Mandisa's new CD. My grandchildren absolutely love the track, "Shackles Off My Feet So I can Dance!" WOW! We had a wonderful Easter breakfast and morning service in our little mountain church, spent the afternoon with oldest son and his family. Then, Monday morning, took flights to DC from Idaho to be with daughter for her surgery. Thank God, she did well yesterday and the doctors are pleased with her progress. I am at her home cleaning up, checking email and will be back up to hospital in a couple of hours.

Brought some pastel pencils and acrylics since they travel well and the two of us are going to sketch and paint, maybe do the "weekly sketch."

Everybody have a great week. Blessings,
Harriett

K Taylor-Green
03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry I haven't been around much this week, but I finally got this dog commission finished! Yay! Now I have to start the next one, which is a little 4 yr old boy.
I had classes this morning, first one after Spring Break. The kids have Spring fever, I think, but seemed to have fun. It is so hard to find ideas for the K thru 3rd grade class. The older kids are much easier.

Maybe next week won't be so busy and crazy!

Anyone got any fun plans for the weekend?