PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Comorant Fishing Done but for tweaking!

binkie
03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
:wave: This Chinese Cormorant Fisherman is a special gift for a friend and I want it to be the best I can make it. I'm still working on the bird and tweaking. In the photo there are small people along the banks. The first painting leaves out the people and looks clean. The second one I drew some lines, marking in the people (too brightly colored though). In a way it gives a sense of distance, but does it look too cluttered? I definitely would gray the people down.

I have a question about the composition too. I was true to the photo, but I wonder if I turn the bird's head in the opposite direction would it redirect the eye to take in the painting rather than going off the edge?

Also, anything other suggestions would be so very greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for looking.

binkie

mrking
03-22-2008, 06:26 PM
i turned the head around for you. I think it works better as it keeps your eye into the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2008/108995-bird.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
03-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I agree about the head - much better.

Not sure about all the people - how about 2 or 3, or none at all. After the painting is about the bird and the fishermen.

Deborah Secor
03-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't think you need the people myself. They aren't really informationally important to the painting, nor compositionally needed. Unless the person you're painitng this for wants the people there, I'd skip them. MHO, that's all!

Oh, and the head turned inward seems MUCH better.

Deborah

maw-t
03-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Binkie:) Great job on this so far!!... I like the head turned.. but wonder how Mrking did that???

I agreee the people give it more debth maybe lighten the Bg hills to give debth also .. I am curious what size this is? I know your friend will be thrilled!!

mrking
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Binkie:) Great job on this so far!!... I like the head turned.. but wonder how Mrking did that???

I agreee the people give it more debth maybe lighten the Bg hills to give debth also .. I am curious what size this is? I know your friend will be thrilled!!

I use photoshop for everything I do. From colour adjusting to reversing bird heads. :D

edencompton
03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi Binkie! Wonderful painting! I second the both opinions here -- I would turn the head of the bird in to keep from sliding out of the picture frame and not include the people as it distracts from your main subject. I love the shapes in the composition!

Scottyarthur
03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
very nice, but I have a question. Is he walking on a rocky shore or is he in a boat, it looks like a rocky shore and the water looks more like a stream that is to shallow for the cormorant. I wouldn't have to see the boat to know it is there, but the water IMHO needs help. I do like the cormorants head turned towards the fisherman.

binkie
03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks so much for all the responses, everyone!!! Michael, thanks for turning the bird's head around. I was thinking that would be better and you showed me. Now, if it only was that easy to actually do it. :)

Thanks for the opinions on the people. It looked cluttered to me too.

Scott, Maybe I should try to move the rocks behind him further back in the painting so the water doesn't look like a stream. The bamboo boat they use to fish with isn't in the photo and I'm trying to stay true to it. Any other suggestions?

T - it's 8x10 on black suede matboard. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to do a larger painting until I am more confident with my rendering. My friend doesn't have a lot of space so the size is perfect.

Again, thanks so much!!!

binkie

maw-t
03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
wow Binkie.... then this is even more awesome.. to get all that on an 8X10 would be very difficult & the mans features, hands & well, all of him is done so well!! way to go!

binkie
03-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks T!

Scott, I just reread your post and I think I missed your point. I'm just not sure what to do about the water. Would removing the strip of land in the middle of the water give the appearance of a larger river?

Thanks again!!

binkie

Scottyarthur
03-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Binkie it would help to remove it. the biggest thing is the rocks they maybe in the picture but the way it is set up in the painting the rocks look to be under foot like he is walking on them, rather than him floating in a boat. Like I said I don't need to see the boat to know it is there but the area around the fisherman and his cormorant should read as water if he is in a boat.

svo164
03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Is this useful to think about?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2008/107105-chinaman.gif

Lightening the mountains makes them recede and brings the man and bird forward. Bringing water down to the left side of the image might make it look more like a river.

Anyway, to consider.

Sandra

AliciaS
03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
This is awesome binkie!! I love the man ..he is beautiful! i think having the
bird look at him is a good idea..i would only emphasize..the man, stick and
bird..and everything else just a suggestion...
great job binkie!!

ThreeWolves
03-24-2008, 01:03 AM
I liked it better when the mountain didn't follow the contour of the birds head.

Scottyarthur
03-24-2008, 01:27 AM
I like the look of the water that svo164 suggested as this works for me. it now also gives the slightest hint of the boat behind him. with the suggestions #1 by Mrking turning the cormorants head and #2 svo164 the water more like a river I think you have a great painting for you friend.

Merethe T
03-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Nice painting, I like the man and the bird! I also think the bird looks better with the head turned. Will be interesting to see what you do with it....

Merethe

binkie
03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
:wave: A bit THANK YOU for all your help! I made some changes and think I'm about done except for some tweaking here and there. You can't really see the delineation of the feathers here but in person they are there.

Thanks Again!

binkie

I meant to say that I used Terry's wonderful eggplant purple for the black cormorant. If you don't have that color I'd recommend you order it. It is such a great substitute for black!

Scottyarthur
03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
binkie, I think this is really nice and you have done a great job with it, your friend should be very happy.

binkie
03-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks Scott!

Oops! I meant to say a "big" thank you, not "bit"

binkie

Mike_Beeman
03-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I agree...nice job!!!

binkie, I think this is really nice and you have done a great job with it, your friend should be very happy.

binkie
03-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Mike!

binkie

bnoonan
03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
OMG ! You have all that detail and it's only 8 x 10 ! how do you do it??? It's fabulous and I love the colors - the composition - the bird's head in its new position.

The whole thing is a work of art alright and I'm sure it's going to be very very well received. Outstanding!!! :)

More... great job on the hands and the face - working that small is so challenging and yet you really did a fine job.

Barb