PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Love

Mike_Beeman
03-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Every year the local animal shelter has a fundraiser to help raise money for the animals they care for. When touring the facility I was totally surprised at the number of Black Labs that were dropped off for whatever reason and not to mention the number of cats. I'm not for sure how this problem is ever going to be solved.
The Image size of Puppy Love is 11" x 14" on light gray Canson paper. I used a mixture of NuPastels, Terry Ludwigs and a few mystery pieces...it seems the more I work the bigger the mystery pile gets.
I will look at this for a few days ...make some minor changes, frame it and deliver it.
C&C welcome!
Thanks for looking
Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2008/49603-puppylove.jpg

Jo Castillo
03-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Mike, this is gorgeous! It will sell in a minute!!

fiannah
03-17-2008, 11:16 PM
awwww this is adorable! And a fabulous charity! :clap:

K Taylor-Green
03-17-2008, 11:23 PM
How could someone look at that face and not want it. It is a beautiful, heart melting work, Mike. and what a great cause.

DAK723
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Great!

Don

Deborah Secor
03-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Oh Mike! Don't DO this to me. I can't have a puppy right now, can't have a dog, and some days I reeeeeealy miss my old Lab--and then you do this to me... I can smell the puppy breath.

This is a definite heart-warming winner. Hope they auction it--it should bring them a pretty penny.

Deborah

Mike_Beeman
03-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Deb...thats exactly what Barb (my wife) said when she saw the painting tonight...."could smell the puppy breath".
I believe they must have had eight Black Labs when I was there and what was really sad someone dropped off a dog that was very close to an Engish Sheep dog...female, two years old and just shaking...and they just didn't want anything to do with her anymore. I just don't know what people must be thinking sometimes.
Oh Mike! Don't DO this to me. I can't have a puppy right now, can't have a dog, and some days I reeeeeealy miss my old Lab--and then you do this to me... I can smell the puppy breath.

This is a definite heart-warming winner. Hope they auction it--it should bring them a pretty penny.

Deborah

Dougwas
03-17-2008, 11:52 PM
A great painting for a great cause, Mike. I hope it brings them plenty of money.

Doug

Artaholic
03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Mike , great puppy I knew the minute I saw it that it was your art.

maw-t
03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Oh this is sooooooo good! I love the way you handled the BG.. and that puppy is absolutely perfect. WOW.

binkie
03-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Mike, seeing that precious pup just reminds me why you are one of my absolute favorite artists. I LOVE that painting!!!! As a dog person, you are helping a charity after my own heart. Kudos!!

binkie

Adiro
03-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't make any changes, it is absolutelly PERFECT!!!!! how beautiful!!!!!

artistwanabe
03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Mike,

This is the most wonderful potrait of a puppy I have ever seen!! :clap:
I work in a veterinary hospital so I see all the good and all the bad that people can do to animals. We fortunately get to spay and neuter the dogs that have already been chosen for adoption. So every one that comes to us will be on their way to a new family.

The puppy breath....ahhhh. We all say we want to bottle it :lol: . I hope this portrait brings the shelter big bucks....they deserve it.

Great job, hope I can learn something from your fabulous painting to try one on my own.

Geri

meowmeow
03-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh wow! I just want to reach in and take him out and cuddle him! How adorable!
Yes, it is incredible how many poor animals get left at shelters...or just left.

Sandy

WC Lee
03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
soooooo adorable :)

chewie
03-22-2008, 03:14 PM
fantastic, both the work and the purpose of it. i am proud to say i usually adopt dogs, a few were around 2 yrs old, and they were super dogs. i see what ppl can do to animals, i will never understand. i hope this piece goes for an extraordinary price!

and welcome wanabe! i grew up near your town! i was near dewitt, my parents still there. haven't been there myself in a while tho., hope to again this summer. wow, has that place changed, it rather scares me now, so big and busy. guess i'm getting old and liking my 'mayberry' type towns now! nice to see a friendly face from home tho.!

Mike_Beeman
03-23-2008, 10:04 AM
I appreciate everybody taking the time to looking and for your kind comments.
Happy Easter!

Bryarpatch
03-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Another wonderful piece for another needy cause. You are awesome Mike!

bnoonan
03-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Mike - great painting - fabulous cause and delightful subject matter! I love painting dogs and this one is beautifully done.

You have a gift in those soft edges that I long for!!!

Barb
PS: happy easter to you too!

ThreeWolves
03-24-2008, 01:06 AM
I allways love this loose style of painting. Very cute.

palettetalk
03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Mike this is just wonderful - very masterful work. The puppy is so innocent and vulnerable...it is a heart stealer and I have no doubt will sell fast.
I will never understand how some people just discard their pets as though they were disposable, inanimate objects...cold hearts beating in cold souls in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing and for caring.
Cheers,
Susan

jkook
03-28-2008, 04:26 PM
A great job for a worthy cause. Nothing like a little puppy breath to make your day. :)

Rose Baggs
03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
GORGEOUS work!!!!! Wonderful purpose! I'm so your FAN Mike!

rudiratlos44
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
A sensitive masterful work, I am speechless,
Rudi

scall0way
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
ooh, what a darling pup, and just exactly the loose style I love. I hope this raises a lot of money for the cause. I just don't understand people who regard dogs as "disposable". All I have to do is look at my Bran, whom I adopted at age 4 last September. A sweeter dog never lived.

Holley
04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Aaawww, that is so cute!!! Beautiful colours Mike!

Katy_M
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Mike, I've never seen a Lab puppy captured so sweetly in a painting. Its wonderful!
Its such a tragedy that Labs as a breed are terribly over bred. :crying: They are such nice dogs, its heartbreaking.
I just want to nuzzle this sweet little puppy and take him home with me.
Katy

1painter42
04-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Oh my god what a cutie-pa-tutie! I am in awe of your technique to perfectly render his soft fur, the highlight on his wet nose, and those trusting eyes and yet have a nice spontaneous feel to your strokes. I've been doing some pet portraits for people over the past year, but this is awesome!

IMaybe
04-07-2008, 11:24 PM
:heart: I love this puppy! My son got one for xmas from his boss, and I had been puppy-sitting. It's a lab, too, and now is 4 mos. This face is tooo wonderful! Is it from a photo of the puppy? It would be so hard to do it from life, but how wonderful. I have dogs, and walk them aeveryday. I live on an Angus cattle ranch, and labs are out of place and rare to me, but wow, I do like them. I lived in Wyo. and miss it, over by Cody. The art was amazing there. Thanks for this wonderful painting!!! And I love pastel, and your use of it!!!

bluemoonstar
04-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Aw, who could resist that sweet little face? :smug: Your beautiful artwork should be quite a nice addition to the auction.

Ingrid*
04-08-2008, 02:48 AM
This is a great painting, the expression, the colors, I love it!

Ingrid

chatfieldstudios
04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Awwwwww.....so sweet! You have captured the spirit of puppyness:thumbsup:

Enid Goyers
04-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi Mike,
You did such a wonderful job on this one. It is so vivid, I would take the puppy home immediately!
Enid

Mike_Beeman
04-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Appreciate all the kind comments and for everyone taking the time to look.
Mike