PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Mar 17 Thru 23

K Taylor-Green
03-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day to all you Irish and Irish at heart! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

Jess and I drove to anew Madison, Ohio, yesterday, to check on our dog in training. I can't believe what Carol has taught him in just two weeks! He is definitely going to be able to run Hunt Tests, and do very well.

I have commission work out the ears right now, mostly Labrador portraits. So I am going to be very busy. If I am a bit scarce this week, that is why.

Paula Ford
03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Hope everybody has a great week.

CJMonty
03-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey, there were a whole load of posts here yesterday, especially Deborahs good informative one about the Easter dates. Where have they all gone.

It wouldn't accept mine no matter what I tried but I didn't expect to find the others gone into thin air today.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Deborah please repeat your entry as I would like that information, it was so interesting.

There is some serious withdrawl going on here :(

Take Care and have a Great Easter

Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart::heart:

CM Neidhofer
03-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Whoa...don't know where the rest of the posts went, but I'm sure glad WC is back up. I was going through serious withdrawal!! :thumbsup:

Christine

chewie
03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
have the avatars been shrunk? hmmm, wish i really have shrunk!

i got more goats--a mom and her 2 babies. not sure if i'll keep them or not, i dont' want to get in over my head, and if i want to keep any babies next year, i won't have room if i keep this new doe. but i am having a blast with them!

did a painting yesterday, and today is hubby's birthday so we had supper in town. his mothers, and sisters long time boyfriend's was this week also, so it was a large crowd.

got some stuff from blicks', always like christmas! but i always always seem to forget 'one more thing', then it bugs me til the next time i order. grr. those of you who can get to a real store, i hope you realize how great that is!

have gotten some good commissions lately, so need to get busy! will be getting harder to do as this weather keeps getting nicer! and our moon is a gorgeous deep orange--i love riding in the dark with a moon like that!

our house is starting to move forward again, was rather at a stand still for a long time. today we had to go pick out stuff, and get more prices. egads!! how can this stuff be worth that much??!!! oh well, when done, it'll be sooo great! gotta run, so tired.

nvcricket
03-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Hi everyone,

Chewy, you make me laugh all the time! "wish i really have shrunk!" I live in the boonies too, wish I had an art store, but the way we do it, we get exactly what we want. When I do get an opportunity to get into an art store I end up getting things I really could do without, and could have used the money spent on something better. Great to hear you are getting your new place underway!

Christy, I agree with you, this place is a santuary for me. Withdrawel to put it mildly.

CJ, that sounds like a great post Deborah put up. Sorry I missed it.

Katherine, keep your nose to the grindstone and crank out those commissions. I don't know how you can part with all of your puppies, our border collies have had a couple of litters, and we still keep in touch with all of our babies! There was an older couple in the news the other day that were breeders, and ended up with tons of small dogs, as they became attached and couldn't let them go...

This has been a GOOD FRIDAY!!! My 85 yo mother has been in the hospital for a week, and has survived a heart surgery today, she will be in the ICU for another day or so, the worst is over. She is such a trooper! A few more prayers won't hurt though, she is definately GODS child!

I am donating a painting for March of Dimes raffle at work. It isn't finished, but I have been bringing it to work daily to put on display. A coworker moved my painting to another area in the office. She broke my easle in the move, and not realizing it had broken, placed the "raw" painting back on it, and it fell.:eek: The painting can easily be saved, but my easel is in the trash. The good news....is now I have a great excuse to get the Anderson Swivel Easel I have been drooling over for the last year!

Carol

Dot Hoffman
03-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Kate, I hope you are not affected by the floods in Ohio. We aren't bothered by the ones in Missouri, but a lot of people are. If my FIL were still alive and living in his house, he'd have been flooded out (again).

Got an offer on our house in less than one week, but it fell through (thank goodness). The guy was impossible and I didn't want to have to deal with him. I lost one night's sleep because of him, and that was more than enough. I think even our RE agent was glad to see him disappear.

Every day we clean out more and more stuff. Some of my painting supplies and art books are packed. Threw away a lot of old (awful) work.....it felt so good.

There's so much to do, it seems like we hardly made a dent. I can't even think about how much we have to do because I start getting overwhelmed, so I try to force myself to take one day at a time. The days are always getting interrupted though, with people coming to see the house, which means we have to disappear for a while. On two days we had three showings each day and had to be gone over two mealtimes. Thankfully none on Saturday before St. Pats, which was a good thing since we had guests for dinner and I was cooking corned beef and cabbage. :lol:

My mom had an unusually (unplanned) quiet 94th birthday the other day because she had a tooth that broke off and it became infected so she had to see the oral surgeon to have it taken care of so she was on soft food for two days and not really up to partying. The big party to celebrate her birthday, my sister's birthday and Easter is on Sunday. Wish we could be there, but it's not possible to get away to MPLS at this time.

Gotta run; more people coming through at noon, and I have 2 loads of clothes to finish before then and as always, get rid of dust and cat hair.

K Taylor-Green
03-22-2008, 10:55 AM
WHOO HOO! We're back online!!
Karyn posted a thread about the downtime in Site Discussion. I hope everyone has a chance to read it, as all is not clear sailing yet! We can still have some downtime an error messages as the last tweaking is going on.

Carol, I heard about that. 800 small dogs in a triple wide mobile home. it was horrible.
I love my puppies but am very happy to see them go to homes where they are used for what they were bred for, hunting, hunt tests, and just loving man. The money allows me to keep the kennels up, pay the vet bills, and get the genetic testing done to ensure sound breeding dogs and healthy puppies. Not to mention training costs and entry fees for our own hunt test dogs! Whew! Running them in tests is addictive. A lot of our buyers keep in touch so that I can see in pictures how the pups are growing.

The flood water wasn't so bad in my area that lives were lost, but it did affect us somewhat. Our front field is a small lake at this time, still drawing in ducks and geese from the wild. Jess even took one of the grandsons out in a boat! I took pictures of them rowing across the field! I'll share them when I get them downloaded.

Yep, the commissions are still coming! Most of them are Labs, but I do have someone's sweet little grandson to paint. He is next on my list.
I'll show these as I finish them!

Well, Thursday was the day from you know where around here, and it had nothing to do with the floods. First, I accidentally set my microwave on fire!
It filled the house with smoke, not to mention charring my lunch! I put a frozen sandwich in, set the time, and went outside to see how Jess was doing with the new kennel pen. I must have hit one button too many, turning 2 min 30 sec into 23 min! Oy, gotta pay more attention!
Then, my sweet young Lab, Kansas, was attacked by one of the older Labs. I think it was a dominance issue. She is in the house most of the time, but I sometimes put her in the main kennel so that I can have a break and concentrate on my work.
Her muzzle had been punctured, blood was gushing like a fountain and she was covered in it. I couldn't tell if there were any other injuries, so off to the vet we go. By then, we were all pretty bloody! Turned out it looked worse than what it was and she will be fine. They just missed her eye, though. So she is on antibiotics, pain meds, and is back in mommy's lap being spoiled.

Deborah Secor
03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Oh Kate--poor Kansas! Good grief, what a day for you!

Carol, your mom has my prayers! :D

Dot, you better make some plans for a place to move TO, such as NM.... It's getting so lovely here now. We had Good Friday service out in the courtyard of our church in almost 70 degree weather. I saw more sunburned faces.

Here's the Easter info I posted before we regressed to Mar. 18h in the WC time warp:

Easter this year is: Sunday March 23, 2008. As you may know, Easter is always the 1st Sunday after the 1st full moon after the Spring Equinox (which is March 20). This dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendar that Hebrew people used to identify Passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar. Found out a couple of things you might be interested in!

Based on the above, Easter can actually be one day earlier (March 22) but that is pretty rare. This year is the earliest Easter any of us will ever see the rest of our lives! And only the most elderly of our population have ever seen it this early (95 years old or above!). And none of us have ever, or will ever, see it a day earlier! Here are the facts: The next time Easter will be this early (March 23) will be the year 2228 (220 years from now). The last time it was this early was 1913 (so if you're 95 or older, you are the only ones that were around for that!). The next time it will be a day earlier, March 22, will be in the year 2285 (277 years from now). The last time it was on March 22 was 1818. So, no one alive today has or will ever see it any earlier than this year!

Karyn mentions the fact that we're gonna go through more down time in the not too distant future. I'm suggesting an alternate meeting site: go the Artist's Network (the F+W home page for all three magazines, PJ TAM and WCA) home page and find the Artist Network Forums...we could fill up the pastel page! I noticed Mike and Christine and Alicia were there already. Real junkies, like me, I guess! :lol:

Deborah

meowmeow
03-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Sounds like you all had a pretty rough week. Carol, I hope your mother continues to do well. What a scare!
Glad everyone survived the wet...it looked terrible.
Glad it was only a broken tooth for your mother, Dot. And having recently been there and done that I hope your house gets sold soon....but not so soon that you can't get packed up. Lotta work....but I am so glad it is behind us. Good luck!

Looks like WC came through, but missing a bit. Oh well. I finally post a painting and it disappears! :D

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
03-23-2008, 11:18 AM
HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE!! Let the egg hunts begin! We are going to my sister's today for Easter dinner. One of my daughters will be there with her family. The other is in Tennesee with some of her hubbie's family.
Hope everyone has a beautiful day!

Dot Hoffman
03-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I join Kate in wishing everyone a happy Easter!!!

Deborah, we are planning on moving to ABQ -- at least for a few months to see how we like it :)! We'll put our stuff in storage, although we are planning on selling most of the furniture or donating it to charity. Some of it is getting old although still usable, the good stuff we'll sell. We are aiming for a much simpler lifestyle. Our plan is to rent a corporate apt for a couple of months -- pricey but it includes everything so all we'd have to bring is groceries and our luggage (and cats of course!). If we like ABQ as much as we think we will, we'll buy a house and if we don't like it, we'll come back here to the humidity (yuck). I hope you don't all think I'm nuts, but when I have my middle of the night talks with God, I keep getting the message to move to ABQ. I don't know why or what, but I think He has a reason and we'll find out what it is after we get there. Deborah, thank you for your offer to PM you, I'll do that when we have a better idea of dates, etc.

Snowbound
03-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Gosh, I don't even know if I posted to the scumble. I think I did, but not sure. I was online and watched the site sort of crumble and then disappear. It was wierd.

I think I am glad I missed the story about the dogs in the double wide. Just the thought is sad. All the way around: both for the animals and for the people involved, whose sense of life is somehow distorted. I feel so sorry for them all.

Chewie, I know what you mean about ordering stuff. It is so fun to get those packages. And so frustrating when I realize that I forgot to order something I need. I started my wish list on DB, and every time I think of something, I add it, and clean out stuff I've already got. Then when I order, I go through the wish list and move what I need to my cart. And I STILL forget things!

Dot, I so relate to the house/moving blues. I have to somehow get my house ready to sell, and it is just overwhelming. I lost all the time this winter I'd meant to get stuff done and look for another place. I suspect I am stuck for another year, which gives me the creeps-- I really need to be living somewhere else. I've not been able to do the "cosmetic" fixup stuff I wanted to do (part of which is actually putting cupboards in the kitchen), and now it really needs a major spring cleaning, too. Might give it a shot anyway.

We were supposed to get hit by another series of snow/sleet storms this past week, and they were predicting floods to follow. But instead we got beautiful sunny cold days and the normal flooding along the river valleys. Good sugar weather. My daughter still has a lot of snow, but almost all ours is gone. I think you guys in the midwest got the storms, and the flooding. Sorry about that. Hope you all are ok.

My good news is that I seem to be responding really well to the antibiotics. After the first week, I have been able to accomplish more in the past five days than I have in the whole of the last four or five months. Yay! I'm busy framing several paintings, some for the gallery I'm in now and some for another gallery I hope to be in soon. LOL-- I keep doing western landscapes, or adapting Vermont landscapes to a western feel. So that is what they are getting. Maybe I should join the Western Pastel Society.

Dayle Ann

Deborah Secor
03-23-2008, 10:17 PM
We went out to the 7:30 sunrise service this morning, but we were there at 6:30 to get things set up, and it was a VERY brisk morning. Very, very. With the wind chill it was 15 degrees! Yeeeeks. :eek: Glad to have my down coat on! It was so nice to have that sun warm us up as it crept down the stairs from the top of the stadium, and the Harlem Gospel Choir was absolutely WONDERFUL!!! Wow, can those folks si-i-i-ing!!

Dot, I can sure understand those middle of the night talks with God! Let me know when/if you want some ideas for places or areas here in ABQ.

Deborah