PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Mar. 17 - Mar. 23

Pat Isaac
03-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Good morning everyone,

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY

Another nice March morning after several days of rain and snow and cold. The birds are singing and the maple tree buds are swelling.
Mondays is a big studio day for me, so I'm off to get lots done.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

Shirl Parker
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Today is a big wind day for us. 35-40 mph, gusts to 50 mph. Still, it helps make the heat tolerable, forecast high of 88 so it will probably be over 90. Time to go get my hair trimmed. And I think I will join a friend for a Wal-Mart pedicure. Sounds decadent, yes?

Pat Isaac
03-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Ah, 88 degrees, sounds wonderful. Have fun on your decadent day....
I didn't get as much painting done as I had hoped...had a business meeting of our studio group in preparation for our annual meeting and I am the secretary. I'll post updates on Wednesday.
I did go to the store on the way hame and buy 3 bunches of daffodils so I can have spring on the table. :music:

Pat

Shirl Parker
03-17-2008, 04:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2008/113427-P1000630.JPG

Need I say more?

Pat Isaac
03-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Nothing at all, Shirl. What fun!:thumbsup:

Pat

AnnieA
03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Shirl: What? No puppy pedicure? :lol: Especially since you appear to have prematurely entered the hot dog days of summer, the pup deserves a little pampering too!

Pat Isaac
03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
:lol: great suggestion, Annie and I do KNOW people who take their dogs to have pedicures.....
Pat

Shirl Parker
03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I would, but Pearl won't let me touch her feet. Maybe I could just retouch the photo....Nope, her nails aren't showing.

tubbekans
03-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Happy St Paddy's Day all!

I just thot some of you might be interested in this thread in acrylics forum. It is by JamieWG. It has a pic and link to how to for an art ox she made form foamboard. Seems like it might be something to modify for oil pastels, and is very lightweight also.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6640994&posted=1#post6640994

Pat Isaac
03-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks, for the link, Paul. It certainly looks adaptable to OPs.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
03-17-2008, 08:29 PM
:evil: How much will you pay me NOT to post a picture of MY toenails??? I warn you they are not a pretty site!!!

:evil: :eek:

:music: :heart: :music:

AnnieA
03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Pat and Shirl: I was just joking about the puppy pedicure, but later realized that I actually had given my dog pedicures when I was a kid. We had a poodle, and it was me who often did the clipping of both fur and nails. I had completely forgotten! :lol:

Shirl: All joking aside, how nice that you had the opportunity to pamper yourself. We all need that now and then I think.

Paul: Jamie's art box does look really good. I'm going to be studying Jamie's instructions to see if she has ideas for a few things I want to do to the box I made from a wooden cigar box (I use it for oils, although I also have a slightly larger one that I lined with foam for storing OPs). Her use of velcro is intriguing. So thanks for the link. (If you want a ready-made cheap but sturdy box for OPs, cigar boxes are the way to go, imho. You can get them for only a buck or two from cigar stores.)

I talked to the nurse in the neurology office today, and they're going to do another MRI to try to determine what's causing the new numbness in my face. :sigh: I hope they'll be able to figure it out.

Bill: I'm glad you didn't follow through on your threat! :eek:

Scarefishcrow
03-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Helloooooo???? Anybody home? Looks like a few posts lost along the way.

Come out, come out, wherever you are.

It's all right, the wicked witch of the east is dead, Dorothy and Toto dropped a house on her. You munchikins can come out, nothing to be afraid of (except my toenails being posted).

Somebody talk to my, I've been without posts and forums for two days, I'm in withdrawal!!!!

Bill

AnnieA
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Trying again...they say we're back up, but I fooled around for a long time yesterday trying to post...

We're back!

Hooray!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2008/85002-Animated-CrowdApplauding.gif

3-29-08
Was it really 48 hours? It did seem like a very long time...glad the problems are fixed now, and thank you to the WC IT staff, who undoubtedly were putting in some overtime.

Pat, Bill, Bars: Thanks for the good wishes. I had the MRI yesterday, and the doctor said it definitely was not a stroke, so that's good. The problem is that they don't know what it is. They said it's fairly common to develop numbness, and that I should just ignore it, but every so often it gets worse, and that invariably scares me. Bill: it's just on one side.

Bars: My dog hated having his feet groomed too. I think most animals don't like people holding onto or fussing with their paws. But it had to be done...

5:05 PM
OK, well, maybe we're not quite back yet. I started trying to post this probably about half an hour ago, but although my browser keeps saying "loading" and "waiting for www.wetcanvas.com," it looks like it just isn't gonna post right now. And I know it's on the WC end, cause other sites load just fine. I'll try again later...

3-21-08
It does look like things are working now. Nice to see ya again, Bill and everyone!

Scarefishcrow
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Well, it's not bad news, Annie, and that is good news. I do hope they can figure out what is wrong though!!

Best Wishes

Bill:music: :heart: :music:

Pat Isaac
03-22-2008, 08:22 AM
We're back......I also tried posting a few time and it just wouldn't work.
I'm glad you didn't get bad news and that it wasn't a stroke. Hope they can find the problem as it must be annoying.
The munchkins are afoot....

Pat

sparkling
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Hooray, hooray, hooray! After three long days of waiting Wet Canvas is back on track again. I can't believe it! Now at least I have a slight notion of how an addict might feel like when he goes cold turkey...

Scarefishcrow
03-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Hooray, hooray, hooray! After three long days of waiting Wet Canvas is back on track again. I can't believe it! Now at least I have a slight notion of how an addict might feel like when he goes cold turkey...

Silvia--I know what you mean. I kept running back to the computer and thinking, it's gonna be back, its gonna be back!.

Most of all, I missed all my cyberfriends and what was hapenning. It's kinda like not being able to contanct your family and starting to worry. I know that sounds silly, but a bunch of folks I'v never met in my life seem important to hear from. Wanted to check on Annie; wanted to see if Pat's halo is slipping; wanted to post my Renoir (looked good till I looked back at the original) that Wendell challenged me to try.

Silly for a 57 year old man, isn't it? Annie, I know how depressing going from test to test can be and seeming to find nothing, but the symptoms are real!. Don't let it get you down. Everything they don't find is good news and I have a feeling you are sort of like my mother was, feisty and you hate it when you can't be doing what you want to do!! We are all thinking about you!

Bill

:music: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :music: :thumbsup: :wave:

Pat Isaac
03-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Yes, I did the same thing, Bill and then I thought it was back up and none of my posts went through. They worked hard to get it back up and are still tweaking it here and there over the next few months. Read Karyn's post at the top of the thread.
My halo??? Looks fine to me.....even though I have super glue all over my fingers....:lol: must be a better way..:rolleyes:
We went to the birthday party of my husband's sister today. She had a significant birthday according to my brother-in-law.....70...a mere babe...
Nice affair and now I need to get ready for family arriving here tomorrow for dinner. Not as many as usual, but some other friends are coming also.
Great day...spring is coming...the birds are chirping...:music:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
03-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Pat and everyone---

Have a happy Easter, I hope you all have your families about you! Regardless of your beliefs, any excuse to gather family about you is good and something we don't do often enough.

Attached are 5 photos that I hope to work on from my trip to Isla Mujeres. I am going to try to work in a larger format (full sheet Canson Mi-Tientes) and see it I can get better detils than the 9x12's I'v been trying. Comments on composition and color would be welcome. Plus, think of them as a small gift of beauty to share with my friends and celebrate the return of WC from the depths of darkness.

Bill
:music: :heart: :music: :wave:

Pat Isaac
03-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I really love the rich color that you have manipulated in these photos, Bill. Looking forward to those paintings.
Yes, one daughter and family will be here tomorrow, plus some friends and the boyfriend/girlfriend of the older grandchildren. Daughter who lives in Maryland will be leaving with her family tomorrow for a weeklong look at colleges for her daughter. They will make a vacation of it also and the other daughter will be with the other side of her family. It does seem that way as everyone gets older that you don't get together enough. Happy for the times we do.

Pat

AnnieA
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Pat and Bill: Thanks for the good wishes. They gave me a medication to try. I ordinarily am very wary of medication, but the symptoms are so bothersome that I'm trying it. Bill, yeah, I'm an uppity woman! :lol: Even so, I appreciate the kind words and thoughts sent my way. Enjoy your Easter celebrations. It sounds like a nice gathering.

Pat: I'm sure the WC staff were tearing their hair out. I hope they know that we understand - however annoying it is to have WC be inaccessible for so long - and appreciate their hard work.

Silvia: Not being able to access WC is kind of like being locked out of one's home, isn't it? :)

Bill: Those look like great ref photos - that first one especially is spectacular! Watch out for the Canson though - many of us feel it's very difficult to work on because it doesn't seem to take layering very well.

Scarefishcrow
03-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Annie--The Canson is sort of be default since I don't have larger sheets of anything else. I can get Strathmore Illustration Board locally and have thought of using that.

Bill

AngelaF
03-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi everybody -- sooo glad we are all back, also.

I am wishing you much luck with your medication, Annie. I am a little confused as to how they can give you medication if they don't know what is wrong. I suppose they have ruled out the Belle's Palsy? (Not as serious as it sounds, but common) I am wishing for a speedy recovery, Annie, and am so sorry you have to be bothered with this. P.S. I loved your audience insertion inot your e-mail. :thumbsup:

Great pictures, Bill. I congratulate you on going bigger -- what size do you plan to do?

Shirl -- love your toe and dog picture.:lol:

Pat -- I look forward to seeing your bouy picture on the Challenge.

I am still slugging away on the panels for the mural project -- plan to send them in next week.

Happy Easter, everyone! Angela

AnnieA
03-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Bill: Another possibility for paper is watercolor paper (the kind with texture - you'll have to ask someone else whether that's cold or hot press because I always get it mixed up). Some people do like Canson, though, so you may find it works fine for you.

Angela: Thanks for your concern. I do think they've ruled out Bell's Palsy - someone mentioned it a while ago but it was rejected, and I looked up the symptoms and it didn't seem to fit. It's more of an annoyance than anything serious is what it looks like, although without a firm diagnosis it's going to remain a worry. Best wishes with those mural panels. You've been working on them for a long time now. I can't wait to see them, so don't forget to post or give us a link.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Easter!

Pat Isaac
03-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Good luck with the medication, Annie. I hope it is helpful and I'll be thinking of you.
Bill - If you use illustration board, I would give it a coat of gesso first. If you use watercolor paper, it is the cold press that most people use, usually 140lb works well. Try a small piece of canson first to see if it works for you.
Angela, do hope you will post your paintings.

Have a great day everyone!!

Pat

tubbekans
03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Happy Easter all!

Hi Annie,
Have they checked in to any food or other allergies? It might be something simple like that. Of course it could be all those late night artist parties drinking and carousing with the gang too. Might need to curtail those just a little! Yep, the art box looks ok. I can see a cigar box working too. So far I Am using the cardboxes my Senns came in and it is a little small with some extra OP added over the originals.

Great looking pics Bill! Your Renoir came out very nice by the way.

Peiwend
03-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Annie, I hope that the medication helps alleviate the problem.

Bill, for oil pastels, I often use matboard and like it a lot. You can often get smaller or flawed pieces at a frame shop for very little. For finished pieces the rag matboard is best but for practice pieces any PH neutral will do. Of course they need to be sealed with gesso, thinned down acrylic mat medium, or a primer. For a primer I like Colourfix Pastel Primer or Golden Acrylic Ground for Pastels and prepare several pieces at a time. You can also make your own primer with pumice mixed with gesso and/or acrylic mat medium thinned down with a small amount of water. The frame shops often have two ply acid-free backing paper which should work well also.

I've read in the pastel forum that sometimes the colours in the Canson are not lightfast.

If you're using the EGOPs the support must be sealed or primed.

Hope this helps (for the Sargent)...

______________________________Wendell

Scarefishcrow
03-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I remembered I had a couple of full sheets of Crescent Artist Cold Press Watercolor Board (thick stuff) and decided to used that. Can't remember the overall dimensions, but I covered about a 3" border all around with plastic removable frisket so I would guess the picture dimensions will be somewhere around 28" x 16". If I use watercolor board do I need to prime it first (I'm not worried about tooth). I sort of hope not since I began laying down the basic sketch and layout in oil pencil. Going to try the waves crashing over the coral outcrops. Wish me luck and thanks for all the encouragement. This one's for you, Wendell, I love the blue-greens, pinks, blues, ochres and rusty tones along with the "almost" white water. It will be a challenge to get the spray and some color into the white of the water without overdoing it. Oh well, I do have another piece of Watercolor board incase I need to try again.

Wendell--I already started the Sargent ("Paul Hellu Sketching Outside" in OP so you will have to wait for the EGOP. I did my Lemons and Light in EGOP, BTW.

Annie, hang in there! No news is frustrating, but also good when they rule out some serious problem.

Happy Easter.

Bill

Pat Isaac
03-23-2008, 02:56 PM
The board should be fine without prime.....Good luck..and have fun...
People arriving, see you all later.

Pat

Peiwend
03-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Bill, in your painting of the waves crashing onto the coral outcrops, you might want to move the foreground coral from the center a bit lower and to the right. This will help lead the eye into the painting and toward the crashing wave. You could try this in your photo editing first. Right now, I feel you have two elements - the crashing wave and the foreground coral at dead center, competing for attention. By diminishing the importance of the foreground coral, you will increase the impact of the crashing wave.

If you are using only non-drying oil pastels, I don't think you need to prime the watercolour board surface. If in doubt, and assuming that you have it, you could always use some clear acrylic mat medium thinned with a bit of water.

The reason I am encouraging you to use the EGOPs is that you will learn more about the basics of colour mixing with them as they only come in pure pigment colours. This will perhaps help you in avoiding the muddy colours that you can sometimes get with the other oil pastels. It will also help in choosing the right colours in the others.

By the way, I did look at your "lemons" and liked the richness of colour that you achieved although more variation could have been used in the backgrounds.

It's also good for you to try getting the illusion of volume without using outlines such as you did in the "wave".

Bill, I hope I'm not being too critical, but now I think you are getting past being a "beginner".

__________________________Wendell

Scarefishcrow
03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Bill, in your painting of the waves crashing onto the coral outcrops, you might want to move the foreground coral from the center a bit lower and to the right. This will help lead the eye into the painting and toward the crashing wave. You could try this in your photo editing first. Right now, I feel you have two elements - the crashing wave and the foreground coral at dead center, competing for attention. By diminishing the importance of the foreground coral, you will increase the impact of the crashing wave.

If you are using only non-drying oil pastels, I don't think you need to prime the watercolour board surface. If in doubt, and assuming that you have it, you could always use some clear acrylic mat medium thinned with a bit of water.

The reason I am encouraging you to use the EGOPs is that you will learn more about the basics of colour mixing with them as they only come in pure pigment colours. This will perhaps help you in avoiding the muddy colours that you can sometimes get with the other oil pastels. It will also help in choosing the right colours in the others.

By the way, I did look at your "lemons" and liked the richness of colour that you achieved although more variation could have been used in the backgrounds.

It's also good for you to try getting the illusion of volume without using outlines such as you did in the "wave".

Bill, I hope I'm not being too critical, but now I think you are getting past being a "beginner".

__________________________Wendell

Wendell--No I do not think you are being too critical. I am flattered that you would take the time because I have a feeling that you would not make suggestions unless you thought that there was something that I could learn and had some potential. I have never really felt like I could really do something good. It's not about selling, or making a living, it's about doing something that is really well done. I really enjoyed doing the Renoir and I appreciate someone taking the time to challenge me. It gives me something to shoot for and pushes me to do things I might shy away from otherwise. It also prompts me to learn so much as when I studied up on Renoir and learned that what I painted that is what most people think of as Renoir is just the tip of the iceburg. Like Picasso I discovered so much more to him that what was popular and well known. I learned the pain and agony he suffered and continued to paint when brushes had to be tied to his deformed arthritic hands. He once commented to an art dealer, "See, you dont even need hand, to paint!" And through it all he never paintedf a picture that didn't radiate a positive outlook on life.

Anyway, please don't ever feel you are being overly critical. I want honest advice and that's what you give and I appreciate that very much.

I had extended that left side of the picture because the format I chose was somewhat longer, but I felt the big rock in front so close to center might be distracting. I attached a (bad) images of my blockup and rough sketch out in oil pencil where I cut the center rock and moved it right. Is this what you were suggesting or have I gone too far?

Thanks for your interest and actually I have done some work in oils and am familiar with the basics of color mixing. I really want to get some oil sticks and try those as I do like oils but I also like the OP's and OP forum.

Thanks again.

Bill

Peiwend
03-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Bill, to my eyes that's better. In this type of seascape it's often better to emphasize just one part of the splash. I will usually do it by only having a bit of pure white in that part of the painting and subdued white in the other parts. Be careful of having too much action in the center of the composition. When working with colour you might want to de-emphasize the foreground rock. Think of it as a compositional device to draw the eye into the picture towards and around the focal point. An "S" shape is always good for movement and, I think, Pat is using this to draw the eye into her painting of the single boat.

You might want to do some research on the golden mean or the golden section.

________________________________Wendell

p.s. So, Bill, can I now start being really critical? I might lose the reputation of being one of the nice people on Wet Canvas.

AnnieA
03-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Of course it could be all those late night artist parties drinking and carousing with the gang too. Might need to curtail those just a little! Ha! Well, my carousing days seem to be long over - maybe that's what's wrong with me! :lol: (Thanks for the chuckle.) As far as other possible diagnoses, it sounds like now that they've found out it's not a stroke, that's about it as far as testing is concerned (at least in the neurology department), but I may try to get more tests run if the medication doesn't work. Thanks everyone for the concern. :)

Bill: I'm glad you chose that wave scene (my favorite of the photos) and am looking forward to watching the further progress. Sounds like you've found yourself an excellent mentor (Wendell, who has little to worry about in the "nice" department). I'll be looking forward to the Sargent, too (another favorite).

Scarefishcrow
03-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Bill, to my eyes that's better. In this type of seascape it's often better to emphasize just one part of the splash. I will usually do it by only having a bit of pure white in that part of the painting and subdued white in the other parts. Be careful of having too much action in the center of the composition. When working with colour you might want to de-emphasize the foreground rock. Think of it as a compositional device to draw the eye into the picture towards and around the focal point. An "S" shape is always good for movement and, I think, Pat is using this to draw the eye into her painting of the single boat.

You might want to do some research on the golden mean or the golden section.

________________________________Wendell

p.s. So, Bill, can I now start being really critical? I might lose the reputation of being one of the nice people on Wet Canvas.

Wendell--If you can get it past the posting censors, you can go for it!

You probably won't believe this, but I am currently reading a book on Phi, it's history, use, etc.

That is what I really liked about the scene was all the subtle blues, blue greens, greens and ochres in the various parts of the water. That is what I want to capture, reserving the most dramatic whites for the tiny "spatters" caught in midair. I have a digital camera that takes high speed bursts of up to 15 frames per second and it is great for capturing a sequence that occurs quickly to choose the most dramatic moment.

I had already worried about the centrality of that rock, but it does have a pleasing shape and interesting "nook" on the shadowed left side I'd like to keep.

Thanks so very much for your interest and expertise Wendell. I have made more progress in the couple of months I have been interracting with everyone here than I have in years.

(And Annie, you be nice to Wendell! He's simply a misunderstood artiste with deep emotional (and financial) ties to his work!!)

Also, take care of yourself, Annie. Now Pat has a rash in this week's gusher. I hope we are not all falling apart. I don't think you can catch anything over the internet, can you (I mean you, not your computer)?

Seriously, I hope things work out for you Annie, and thanks again Wendell. I'll make mistakes, I know, but now I realize that's how you learn! I also want to try the photo of sunset with its golden yellow hues, darks and girl silhoetted kneeling in the surf. Any compositional ideas about that one would be welcome, too. I will attach it.

Bill