PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

mini_shelia
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi all, I hope I posted this to the correct location.
I've been checking this forum for a couple weeks now and decided I want to introduce myself and get involved.
My name is Eve.
I've been drawing in some form or fashion most of my life. However I took about a 7 year break and I am just now getting back to it. Somewhere along the line I thought I didn't need to have a creative outlet anymore. I don't suggest walking away from your creativity.
I breifly touched on OPs about 7 years ago and have decided to make that my primary medium, along with black and white chalk pastels.
I've been struggling with a recent disability, and find that drawing and painting is a great way to manage my pain.

I would like to post some of my first OP works to see what you guys think. However I'm not sure how to do it. If I scan my work the light goes through the paper and doesn't create a realistic image of what is actually on the paper.
How do you guys capture your work in digital format for posting on this site?

Thanks
Eve

AnnieA
03-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the OP Forum, Eve. :wave: I'm glad you decided to come out of lurkdom and that you've returned to art as a creative outlet, and OPs as your medium of choice (they're a great medium!:)). I'm glad to hear that doing artwork helps with your disability.

I'm not quite certain what you mean about the light going through the paper when you scan. Is it a flatbed scanner? If so, perhaps putting some sort of opaque white sheet behind the painting might help. Or could it be an issue with the scanner's adjustments, perhaps, in the scanner software?

I think most of us use a digital camera to photograph our work. But I know that there are some people who do use a scanner. If nobody happens by this thread with an answer to your question, you might consider posting it in a new post over at the Photo Equipment and Software Forum, here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=351 The helpful folks over there have a lot of experience with different sorts of image capture hardware (as well as software), and can probably assist.

I hope that you'll be able to solve the problem easily. I'll be looking forward to seeing your work, and I'm glad you've joined us. :)

sparkling
03-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Eve,

nice to meet you and welcome to the forum :wave: .

Well, I don't know about all the others, but I think that most of us prefer to photograph our work. Just like scanning a picture taking a photograph of a painting can be quite tricky, too, but it works better and faster - and you don't have to clean the oil/wax from your scanner afterwards :lol:.
We recently were talking about taking digital photos of paintings in this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464506).

Scarefishcrow
03-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the OP forum, Eve. It took me months of lurking before I decided to speak up timidly and found a new family of wonderful friends.

Both Silvia and Annie have given you the best answer. If you have a digital camera that is generally quick and easy (especially if the piece is larger than your scanner, but I have done both.

There is a size limit on the images that can be uploaded of 500 pixels wide or 600 pixels high, depending on the format of the picture. Make a post there are two ways of getting the images in: using the upload tool or attaching them. I will warn you that the site server has been having some quirky problems with handling image uploads of late so don't worry if something doesn't work the first time. Typicially people use the upload tool which is basically the little picture icon on the post edit toolbar. Unfortunately, I have been having trouble getting this to work for me so I use the attachment route. You can either click on the paper clip icon in the post edit toolbar and follow the instructions of if you scroll the screen and look below the editing window where you are typing text in there is a button labelled Attachment manager that lets you attach up to 5 images at a time.

If you can't figure out how to get these to work, just ask and someone will help you out.

Glad you are back into OP's and we hope to see some of your work.

Bill
:music: :heart: :music:

Pat Isaac
03-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the forum, Eve. :wave: It is so nice that you have come out of lurkdom and that your return to art has helped with your disabilities.
We would love to see some of your works and the advice you have been given so far is right on. If you are still having problems, just ask and we will help.

Pat

mini_shelia
03-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Thank you all for your warm introduction. I just tried to post a WIP but recieved an error message telling me that I'm only allowed to post images or URLs after I've made 2 or more posts. So I'm hoping this reply will add to my post quota and allow me to post my images. I'm still having trouble getting the lighting right to photo my drawing. Maybe you guys can give me some tips once I can get the images uploaded.

Eve

Scarefishcrow
03-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Eve--Give it a try and if you have troubles just describe what you are doing and seeing and someone will be glad to help you out.

There is a forum for New Users that has usuful information on "how to" stuff. Here is a link to the intructions on how to upload images. Perhaps this will explain better than I have:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297697

Here is a link to the New Users' forum with all sorts of threads on getting the most out of WC and what resources are available and how to use them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35

That is also another good place to post general questions about how to do things not specifically related to Oil Pastels.

As someone that just began posting a little over a month ago I guarantee that you will find this a terrific group of people, growing everyday with folks like you and everyone is eager to help and share ideas, comments, learn from one another and demonstrate methods they may have experience in. It's not only a friendly place but one of the best places to learn about OP and get to know people from absolute novices to long-time professional artisits. But here, everyone is equal and don't ever be timid about asking or posting. That is what the forum is all about and what WC is all about.

Again, welcome and we look forward to seeing some of your work and learning from you!

Bill

Scarefishcrow
03-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Just remembered another link that will really be useful. It will take you to a "Beginner's Guide to WetCanvas" where the site and resources are descrbed and diagrams show you the layout of things and how to get around. Take a peek at that one too!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/14803/823/

Bill

Pat Isaac
03-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks, Bill for all your links. The beginner's guide didn't work for me.
Eve, they recently changed the rule about posting for newbies and after you.ve posted a few times you'll be all set to post an image. You can also go to the menu bar at the top of the forum and click on quick links, and then click on image uploader and it will tell you what to do.
Looking forward to your posts.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Pat. I redid my signature line and got the URL wrong. I think it should work now. :eek: :eek:

The link in the post worked, just not the one in my signature. Now the signature link should work.

Scarefishcrow
03-17-2008, 08:52 PM
And so it does!! Let me know if it still isn't working for you, Pat. Just though it would be a good link to keep handy for new members of the forum.