PDA

View Full Version : A Western Chinese New Year...

Diane Cutter
03-15-2008, 05:22 PM
In the Printmaking forum we have just finished a project doing a print using the Chinese New Year in any way we are inspired. I was dragging my heels, feeling very limited in how original I could be... and then said... 'why not a Southwestern motif'. That got me going and I was able to find an animal stand-in for the traditional Chinese astrological animals. The big exception was the monkey so I reached down to Central American and grabbed me a spider monkey. So, with no further ado, I present you with my newest relief print...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2008/28135-Chinese-New-Year-final-WEB.jpg

'A Western Chinese New Year', linocut, 9"x7", edition of 50, printed with black oil-based ink on Japanese rice paper.

My animals are, top to bottom, left to right:
field mouse (rat), longhorn (ox), puma (tiger), jackrabbit (hare)
lizard (dragon), rattlesnake (snake), mustang (horse), bighorn sheep (sheep)
spider monkey (monkey), roadrunner (rooster), coyote (dog), javelina (pig)

Diane

objectivistartist
03-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Clever.... like it...:thumbsup:

Diane Cutter
03-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Robert... It was fun to do.

Diane

Jprice022
03-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Diane Cutter does linocut! I like that....I hope it doesn't offend you!

I like your interpretation of the Chinese animals. I also like the way some animals overlap into a second section of the print. Well done.

Thanks for sharing.

John:clap:

Diane Cutter
03-17-2008, 07:56 AM
:lol: John, no I'm not offended. My family nickname is 'Di', which is even a worse joke.

Thank you for the compliments. I've been doing linocuts for years and years. I find it's a nice foil to regular painting (oil/pastel/watercolor).

Diane

Barbara Art
03-17-2008, 04:34 PM
What a wonderful print, Diane! You squeezed a lot of info into a relatively small space, plus really nice use of B&W.
Barbara