PDA

View Full Version : derwent WC Pencils vs Faber castell X posted

friesin
03-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Can anybody explain if there are differences ?

I am very interested in Derwent watersoluble CP, as I am very fond of any Derwent products.

And so I am trying to find out if there are differences to Faber Castell Albrecht Dürer concerning smoothness, lightfastness, colour range (Derwent offers less colours, as far as I know) etc.

Glad for any advice :wink2:

Brenda Y
03-15-2008, 10:15 AM
There are differences in the watercolor pencils. I have the Derwent Inktense and the Derwent Graphitint and really like both. I also have the Albrecht Durer. (I also have the Caran d'Ache Neocolor crayons and the Prismacolor pencils) I use ALL of these and find that it depends on the paper I'm using, the subject I'm painting and sometimes just the mood I'm in as to which pencils I use. The ones I tend to use the most are the Derwents. I would recommend getting small sets to start (no larger than a set of 24) and experiment. Don't forget that you can mix pigments just as you do with tube paints -- so you really don't need a huge number of pencils. I'm currently taking an online watercolor pencil class and have several postings in my flickr account. Also, many of the students have commented, so if you click on their names in the comment section of my flickr, you'll go to their account and see their work as well.

painterbear
03-15-2008, 11:09 AM
I've moved your thread to the Learning Zone where you probably will get more responses about this question.

You might also ask it in the Colored Pencil Forum to see if any of their regulars also use the watersoluble pencils.

Sylvia

Alex1
03-15-2008, 12:00 PM
There's a good thread on the subject here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456298). A quote:

Caran d'Ache- still my very favorite- still the best in my book..... expensive but worth every cent!!! vivid, wild colors.... oh my...120 colors ohhh the magentas....

Derwent- these are slightly better than ok....

Faber Castell Albrecht Durer- these are very nearly as good as Caran d'ache... their color selection is nice too- esp. if you use a lot of greys... really worth getting these- 120 colors

I've used Derwent and find them too hard.

No6 Brush
03-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Derwent watercolour pencils aren't all lightfast either if you want true artist quality lightfast pigments then you need the Derwent 'Signature' range of watercolour pencils.

Tony

painterbear
03-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I've added a link to this thread and the one Alex gave us ^^^ in the Learning Demos threads. It has good information for people to refer to in the future.

Sylvia

friesin
03-15-2008, 05:01 PM
thank you all so far for your helpful hints !

HarvestMoon
03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
well, I have ALL watercolor pencils, inktense pencils, etc.... and in my book the Caran d'Ache brand is the very very best.... I started using these in 1986 and it was love at first sight... they are a dream when wet- I perhaps like these best because of their beautiful bright colors.... the Albrecht Durer's are my second favorite..... very close to Caran d'Ache but the colors are not as good FOR THE WIERD STUFF I DO.... the Derwent's are a lot HARDER etc. compared to the others... and to me are not nearly as nice--- I do LOVE a LOT of the Derwent Line - the Inktense pencils are very cool- and very limited in range- and closer to INK not watercolor- small range...the Graphinint's are SKETCHING pencils that are water soluable... their actual watercolor pencils are just not as good as the others... BUT... the new line of Derwent COLORSOFT's (that are NOT watersoluable) are really good... and if they also redesign their watercolor pencil line it might be really nice- but for now- I would go with Caran D'ache or Albrecht Durer....

Pars
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Great review!

I totally agree with this assessment of the pencils. The only other watercolour pencil I might add to HarvestMoon's list is the Dutch pencils sold under the label Bruynzeel. These too are rich and vibrant and easy to work, come in sets and open stock. Perhaps for comparison sake I'd rank them as similar to Caran d'Arche and the Durer's in handling.

well, I have ALL watercolor pencils, inktense pencils, etc.... and in my book the Caran d'Ache brand is the very very best.... I started using these in 1986 and it was love at first sight... they are a dream when wet- I perhaps like these best because of their beautiful bright colors.... the Albrecht Durer's are my second favorite..... very close to Caran d'Ache but the colors are not as good FOR THE WIERD STUFF I DO.... the Derwent's are a lot HARDER etc. compared to the others... and to me are not nearly as nice--- I do LOVE a LOT of the Derwent Line - the Inktense pencils are very cool- and very limited in range- and closer to INK not watercolor- small range...the Graphinint's are SKETCHING pencils that are water soluable... their actual watercolor pencils are just not as good as the others... BUT... the new line of Derwent COLORSOFT's (that are NOT watersoluable) are really good... and if they also redesign their watercolor pencil line it might be really nice- but for now- I would go with Caran D'ache or Albrecht Durer....

HarvestMoon
03-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I love Bruynzeel too... but it has gotten hard to find them in the US...used to buy them in the Netherlands....

friesin
03-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Bruynzeels are available in my country, so I'm gonna try them !

As for the rest, I will surely quit the idea of buying Derwents# and take the Caran d' Aches instead .

Thank you all so very much, this forum ist just great !!:wave:

friesin
03-17-2008, 06:39 AM

As for the rest, I will surely quit the idea of buying Derwents# and take the Caran d' Aches instead .

friesin
03-17-2008, 06:39 AM

friesin
03-17-2008, 06:42 AM

friesin
03-17-2008, 06:42 AM

friesin
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
well, thank you all so very much !

your hints helped me decide to quit the idea of Derwents' and to focus on Caran d' Ache instead. And I'll try some of the Bruynzeels which are available in my country.

This forum is just great !!!

chitowncheryl
07-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Love the Derwents! They apply very smoothly and produce great effects when wet! chitowncheryl