PDA

View Full Version : help! velour paper (Hannemuhle) problem

ronnie56
03-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I am working on a project using velour paper from Hannemuhle; I usually use Wallis paper, but for this pet portrait, after reading about another pastel artist who uses this paper for pet portraits, I thought I would try this paper for the softer look it would give the fur. I am having a problem with the paper, though.

I had worked for 9 hours just layering and getting the portrait to where I liked it. I did a quick block in using some harder pastels, then built up the layers using softer ones like schminke, senelier, great american, etc. When I took it off my support, though, about half the pastel layers went POOF!

I am now reapplying the pastel, and spraying with fixative every 15 minutes. I am very nervous, though, because when finished I have to ship this to a client internationally. Should I just redo the whole thing on Wallis? Will it hold up on this paper?

Anyone who has experience with Hannemuele velour paper, please advise. Thanks

Rhonda Hurwitz
www.rhondasart.blogspot.com

KJSCL
03-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Here's a link to a thread that explains how I overcome the "problems" with velour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430297

Hope this helps a bit

ronnie56
03-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Kathy--thank you so much for directing me to that thread. It was exactly the info I was looking for.

I appreciate your description of burnishing. I will try it, but if I still don't feel the result will be permanent I will redo on Wallis. I hate to toss 2 days work, but I can just imagine what might happen when my client takes it to a framer in Hong Kong...

Too risky:(

I am sad because I was really enjoying the soft look of the fur I was getting on the velour.

Rhonda

DAK723
03-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Before you give up on velour, if you still have some sheets to experiment with, I would try some using only mid to harder softness pastels. It is hard to say what causes problems for so many - I have used velour more than any other surface with no problem ever. But I do avoid the very soft pastels on velour. I also do not layer very much. Nor do I burnish or do anything special to press the pastel into the fibers. Apparently my natural stroke is just the right pressure. I would be afraid that too much pressure will flatten the fibers and cause the very problem that folks are trying to avoid.

Don

ronnie56
03-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Just a followup:

I tried spraying with fixative every 15 minutes or so...but after building up more layers, The pastel shook off again. The fixative did not help. I would take Don's advice if I had the range of colors in my harder pastels that I need...unfortunately, I just don't have the right range of colors except in soft.

Today I started all over on Wallis, which is tried and true and I know will hold up. Too bad, though, because the feeling of drawing on the velour, and the soft look you get, is beautiful. I guess it just wasn't right for this project.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ronnie

Bringer
03-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Ronnie,

I have Hannemuhle but still haven't tried it.
What I have used untill now is S. Schuell (Scholler ?) (sp?)
This is the same, according to one of our coleagues). The brand was acquired by Hannemuhle.
With this paper, I've used harder pastels, like Polys, but I've also used Schmincke and Senneliers.
The bowl with currants is done on velour :
http://www.hushcolours.com/still_lifes_2.html
The rippples , the cat and the Harley are also on velour :
http://www.hushcolours.com/miscellaneous.html

The ripples were sent to an exhibition and then somewhere else.
The currants travelled from Portugal to USA.

Untill now everything went fine.
I thought about this since some people complain of the same problem and others don't.
Could it be that not all the paper is done in the same place ?
Has the quality of the original brand been kept ?
Could it be incompatibility between layers/brands of pastels ?

Kind regards and good luck,

Josť