PDA

View Full Version : red dresses

jackiesimmonds
03-14-2008, 04:49 AM
I have been asked to do a series of dancer images again........I did a whole series some while ago, some of you oldies (:lol: ) might even remember I showed a few of them here.

Having had a long gap, I am feeling a bit insecure about these new ones, the sketches looked OK but this first one has gone thro quite a few changes and I would be interested in some feedback. For example, faces have never been my forte and I have some concerns about these two. Not that the faces are meant to be important in this picture, quite the contrary, it is all about the red dresses, obviously......but I have to present this series to a print company eventually, so any glaring errors need to be sorted out NOW. I'd appreciate your eagle eyes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2008/1805-red_dresses_finished.jpg

WC Lee
03-14-2008, 05:20 AM
first, I really like the comp and colors :) the things that catches my eyes is that on both the figures, the ears are way too high on their heads and on the girl in the back, her right eye can be raised a little bit higher on her face. I included a photoshopped version to show what I mean :) oh ignore all the other little marks I did, got a tendency to do more than what I want to show :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2008/122017-1805-red_dresses_photoshopped.jpg

K Taylor-Green
03-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Jackie, I love it!! I just keep scrolling back up to see it again!

Adiro
03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
No CC, just GORGEOUS!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dancers are such a beautiful gracious subject, and so many artists have painted them before, I was wondering where you get your inspiration from, do they let you in at the rehearsals?

The painting is Fabulous, no reason to be insecure about! I love it!

water girl
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Vibrant, yet elegant. This is just a lovely piece.

Willemke
03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Wow, what a lovely painting, ,love the different kinds of reds.

Kathryn Wilson
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Other than WOW, the only nitpik I can see is that the upper arm of the dancer in the back is a bit long.

Gail V
03-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Beautiful - love the vibrancy of this!!

Deborah Secor
03-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Jackie, the color in this is just smashing. Go for it, girl! Knock their socks off with color and design and that wow stroke work of yours. Delicious!

Deborah

jackiesimmonds
03-14-2008, 02:43 PM
first, I really like the comp and colors :) the things that catches my eyes is that on both the figures, the ears are way too high on their heads and on the girl in the back, her right eye can be raised a little bit higher on her face. I included a photoshopped version to show what I mean :) oh ignore all the other little marks I did, got a tendency to do more than what I want to show :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2008/122017-1805-red_dresses_photoshopped.jpg

thanks for this insight.......tho one has to remember that the heads are tipped forwards, and no matter what, the ears need to line up - tops of the ears in line with eyebrows, and bottoms of ears in line with mouth. I always remember my tutor drawing on an egg, putting ears on the side and a dotted line round from the top and bottoms of the ears, to the front. Then, showing what happens when you tip the egg forwards or backwards - the ears still line up in this way. I should have remembered that when doing this painting, since you are definitely right about the front girl...she looks like Dr Spock's offspring! See I knew it was a good idea to show you guys, thanks a lot.

Just for fun, here is the photo I used......in my own defence, I think I could be forgiven, her ears do seem quite high on her head!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2008/1805-char_photowc.jpg

Adiro.....I did an entire exhibition of dancer pics a while ago, and I visited two dance studios, to sketch and take photos, and also went behind the scenes at a dance festival with sketchbook and camera, stood in the wings and got some super images out of it.

Here is one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2008/1805-dancer_in_the_wings.JPG

For this new set of images, I cannot work in quite the same style, so I hope the new ones will have a different "look".

These particular dancers were culled from photos taken by a friend of mine who also used to paint dancers. They are two quite separate photos, the dancer modelled in her living room, so I "made up" the flats behind them, from memory of what I had seen before, and also, the girl wore a short tutu, so I made up the skirts too. I reversed one of the photos, THAT was a bit of challenge because I had to reverse the light too! Having done quite a lot of these images before, I felt I knew, more or less, how to tackle those things. But it does account for my feeling a bit wobbly about doing it.

thanks for your help and encouragement.

jackiesimmonds
03-14-2008, 02:54 PM
now I look at the photo together with the painting on the one page, I am even more worried. My front dancer looks rather wooden........oh dear. Well, I only use the photo as a starting point...clearly I need to improve the drawing.

JON805
03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Jackie, wonderfully painted. Its great to see you posting!

annepropst
03-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Jackie, I just can't get over the colors. They are gorgeous. If you know, would you mind telling us what colors and types of pastel are in those dresses. I was so caught by the colors, I didn't notice the ears.

jackiesimmonds
03-14-2008, 05:32 PM
COLOURS.......well, there you have me. I take the wrappers off my pastels, and mix 'em all together, then I was given a huge stack of pastels by someone who has given up painting, so all I can tell you is that there is a mix of cool and warm reds, some Schmincke, Rowneys, Unison, and one brilliant orange made by a french company. sorry cannot be more explanatory.

the main reason that the reds glow as much as they do, is to do with both colour and tonal contrasts. IRL the pic glows even more. there are many layers of colour, one over another, warms over cools and vice versa, to give depth and interest.

Jackie

annepropst
03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for trying Jackie....just amazing colors.

Westerngirl
03-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't often paint figures, so I'm no help with that part.

But I think these paintings are FABULOUS! Oh....to paint so freely like this! :clap:

Tatijana
03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Beautiful Jackie!
MAybe a reason you think one of the dancers seeems "wooden" in comparison to the photo you were using - her wrist has a sharper angle in your painting than in the photo. My eye was drawn to that even before I saw your reference photo, And maybe a touch more shadow on the extended leg? But I have not really thought thru your lighting.
And I really love the way you handled the background. That is always my dilemma...
The little girl is wonderful.
Looking forward to seeing more.
tatijana

jackiesimmonds
03-15-2008, 04:10 AM
thank you all for your eagle eyes....I have incorporated all the changes, but have to be so careful..........all the looseness goes when I begin to fiddle!

However she doesn't look like Dr Spock's niece any more; I have softened the wrist a tad, made some slight adjustments to tones here and there, and will leave it to sit for a bit, creeping up on it occasionally to see if I see it with new eyes.

Am now considering the second one in the series, three standing dancers. Here is the sketch.......... And yes, they ARE all the same girl, taken from three different pics.

BUT before I begin.......do you prefer the whole thing, or the crop?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2008/1805-sketch_with_standing_dancers_wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2008/1805-sketch_trio_wc.jpg

VeronicaF
03-15-2008, 06:04 AM
The whole pic,these are beautiful works, stunning

Westerngirl
03-15-2008, 10:16 AM
I too, prefer the entire view over the crop. I love the composition of it, and can't wait to see the color! Hurry! (smile)

Deborah Secor
03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Yes, I prefer the whloe thing, too. It gives grace and elegance to the figures to see their beautiful lithe legs in and out of the light, plus compositionally I like the movement the legs give. I only worry about the leg going off the page having a lot of interest and leading me out the corner--but my goodness, YOU of all people, I'm confident will handle that little issue! :) The crop isn't bad, of course!

Deborah

nvcricket
03-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Jackie,

In reference to the reference .... I like the position of the head in the ref better. In the ref her head is angled up and to the side more. Above the knee more than in front of the knee. The angle in the ref gives off a feeling more of a... ? spirit of contemplation? In your picture the angle gives off the feeling of... "spirit of concentration? That little change in tilt-changes the story in my impression.
Just a thought...

Carol

maw-t
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Beautiful painting!! Love the red!! Great sketches & I prefer the whole thing too!!

Tatijana
03-15-2008, 01:41 PM
The full length composition is wonderful. But you can have fun and do the cropped one as well, but maybe more there would be more interest if the composition was in a horizontal rectangle, with the dancers to one side and more of the backstage curtains on the other, pushing them out onto the stage...

jackiesimmonds
03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
thanks everyone, and good catch Deborah...I had wanted a scene without too much background, a fairly tight view, and originally the girl on the right was standing differently, but less gracefully than this option..... but that leg leading out bottom right is just what I was worried about, and why I tried the crop. I might well try a little more space to the right, as suggested by Tatijana, with some flats or curtains. In fact, as a vertical composition, there is a better comp, just using two girls, the two to the right, their poses echo each other rather beautifully........but I really wanted a trio of girls, and hoped that perhaps the overlapping shapes would make it work. I know it isn't a perfect composition........but hoped I could get away with it. Well, tomorrow is the day for trying out the colour. The worst that can happen is that I bin it! Or crop it!

Carol you are right about the angle of that head....I had not noticed that when I did my thumbnail sketch from the reference. HOWEVER, I do not think I am clever, or brave enough, to change it now. :(

DAK723
03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Jackie,

I prefer the whole thing as opposed to the crop for your upcoming piece.

"Red Dresses" is very nicely done! Nice color combinations and a nice rhythm to the composition. I am glad to hear that you have adjusted the ear. Just want to point out that Dr. Spock (as far as I know) had nothing peculiar about his ears. On the other hand, Mr. Spock's ears were rather well known for their unique shape!

Don

Adiro
03-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Jackie, thank you so much for explanations ( sorry, my reply comes late in thread and you answered my question so soon), very interesting to see how you created the image, lots of creativity involved!!!!!

I have one of your books, and I still love it after three years of "ownership"
you are a wonderful artist!!!

Deborah Secor
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I am glad to hear that you have adjusted the ear. Just want to point out that Dr. Spock (as far as I know) had nothing peculiar about his ears. On the other hand, Mr. Spock's ears were rather well known for their unique shape!

Don

:lol: Don, thanks...I was mentally striving to figure out what it was that seemed wrong about that ! Good grief--can't believe I missed it! :D

Deborah

jackiesimmonds
03-16-2008, 04:03 AM
how hilarious! It shows my age I guess............Dr Spock v Mr Spock. Still giggling here.......

:lol:

jackiesimmonds
03-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Jackie, thank you so much for explanations ( sorry, my reply comes late in thread and you answered my question so soon), very interesting to see how you created the image, lots of creativity involved!!!!!

I have one of your books, and I still love it after three years of "ownership"
you are a wonderful artist!!!

so nice to hear this, very gratifying. I am pleased the books are still in circulation after all these years...Pastels Workshop has been reprinted lots of times now, which is unusual for an art instruction book and a testament to its popularity, so I admit I am rather proud of that.

well, onwards and hopefully upwards...off to try to do something nice with the trio of dancers. Green dresses? Turquoise? White dresses? So many choices!

Luvy
04-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Hello Jackie.

I remember your dancers from a while ago. I love the colors you have on these as well but I've always been a fan of yours. I even have your books *S*

Great job as usual. I was going through all the old post and came across this and had to say hello and what a good job as usual

cal studio
04-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Love your work Jackie.
I also love painting dancers. They are such beautiful creatures!!!!!!!!!
I like the uncropped version. Great comp
Cathleen