PDA

View Full Version : Sending EBAY emails to AOL winners

dk_art
07-01-2002, 11:40 PM
Has this happened to anyone else. The last two auctions I've had two people who have sent me requests for bills even though I sent them their emails hours after my auctions closed. Both of them had AOL email addresses. The first one replied with payment after I respoded using the ebay create an invoice link from his email but apparently he didnt get the initial email which was from my email address. this is quite annoying.

The second person just emailed me asking for an invoice so I sent a copy of my original email using the link on her email . I don't want to use ebay invoices as they are only for one item and many times a person buys several.

One thing I've learned is perhaps it's better to leave the word EBAY out of email titles (and I have been putting that word in mine).

Here's a google thread I found about this problem

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=1CtO7.3376%24ye6.696427644%40newssvr16.news.prodigy.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2B%2522aol%2Bemails%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D1CtO7.3376%2524ye6.696427644%2540newssvr16.news.prodigy.com%26rnum%3D3

CarlyHardy
07-02-2002, 12:36 AM
It could be that they have their security set so that unknown addresses are filtered out. I had this happen with a friend once...but I've never had a problem emailing any of my buyers with aol addys. I send a personal message after the auction closes because I don't like any of the ebay letters! They all sound like the buyer has no choice for paying except ebay payments.

carly

fmarsh
07-02-2002, 02:48 AM
I have had a similiar problem when sending email to AOL users.

I read somewhere that there is problems when using HTML or formatted test in outgoing emails to AOL users. Apart from the latest version most older AOL browsers can only deal with plain text emails.

Fred

timelady
07-02-2002, 03:13 PM
This has been discussed on the eBay boards several times - evidently AOL has some automatic spam filters. And ebay somehow falls into that category.

You're probably right about not putting eBay in the title, it might help. Basically, AOL sucks. (for what it's worth, they also used to put copyright notices on any attachments to emails a few years ago - in other words images I sent to friends were AOL'S COPYRIGHT. Needless to say I do not send attachments to aol users anymore. Not that I know any anymore, actually.)

[end rant]

Tina.

dk_art
07-02-2002, 08:28 PM
I got an email requesting a bill today ...this time he had a hotmail email. So it's not just AOL. I will try my next winning emails with no mention of ebay in them

kjsspot
07-02-2002, 10:49 PM
I'm confused on one point. The emails that aren't making it, are they an automatic notification from Ebay or some other service? Or they individual emails that you send yourself after the auction close?

dk_art
07-02-2002, 11:09 PM
they are emails I send from my yahoo email ( dkingdesign@yahoo.com ). I'm pretty sure the automated ones I have tried when I get a request for billing info from these people get through as I've recieved payment for a couple of them soon afterwards. But still I'd rather use my emails as I have a template and just have to copy the text with a few dollar changes and paste into an email. With the ebay ones I'd have to send one for each item and some people buy 3 or more.

Anyway, I'll try next time with no mention of EBAY and report back here :)