PDA

View Full Version : turpentine vs mineral spirits

barnett333
07-01-2002, 08:56 PM
I was wondering what everyone else prefers to use when cleaning the oil paints off theyr brushes. Is mineral Spirits very good??

cobalt fingers
07-01-2002, 09:19 PM
oops

posted a thread not a reply

use mineral spirits to cleanup Kleen Strip brand stinks least, follow with soap and water-about any mild soap.

blondheim12
07-01-2002, 09:47 PM
I am using the new solvent made by studioproducts.com
It is great!!!
Love,
Linda
http://dougie.net/epotw/

Kevin
07-01-2002, 10:53 PM
I just use paint thinner (100% mineral spirits) obtainable from the hardware store. It's inexpensive and does not smell bad (to me). Then I wash them out with liquid dish soap. Then I rub them on bar soap and a sponge. When they are clean I put more soap on them and shape them with my fingers to dry. It works well for me. Next time you use them, just flip them across your fingers to get dried soap out, swish them in paint thinner again, and you are ready to paint. Use this procedure immediately after you finish a painting session. Try it! :D

Luis Guerreiro
07-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Mineral Spirits are fine. Rinse the brush and then wash in tepid water with a mild soap or baby 2-in-1 conditioner shampoo.
Every now and again, mix some linseed oil with water, and after washing the brushes with soap/shampoo, rinse them in the water/oil mix, stirring a bit to catch some of the oil. Shake the water surplus off the brush and leave to dry. Hair keep in excellent condition.
Luis :)

barnett333
07-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will try them.:)

cobalt fingers
07-02-2002, 10:35 PM
any ideas for saving the dry bruishes you forgot about 5 days ago that cost $14 and you would really like to use again?

Leopoldo1
07-02-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by cobalt fingers
any ideas for saving the dry bruishes you forgot about 5 days ago that cost $14 and you would really like to use again?

See your doctor for some medication or buy cheaper brushes!....L

jocelynsart
07-03-2002, 11:02 PM
OK, now I am laughing! I saw the title and I thought that it meant which would be the preference for thinning your oils with. I paint with oils and turps. lol! I don't use linseed oil. I ended up on this about 15 years ago in some studio painting class. Then I was introduced to Mineral Spirits in lieu of stinky turps. Thought that was great until I read a poster that warned of using odourless thinners. It told us that we tend then to think we are not subject to toxins by breathing it. It stated, the smell is eliminted but that you still need ventelation because the fact that it has no odour tends to cause us to use it longer periods of time. We were recommended to get up and take a breather outdoors if we used Mineral Spirits to thin our oils and not forget that the toxins are undetectable. So, I went back to turps and spend way less time at one sitting and make sure I have good ventelation.
But, if you are talking only baout cleanign with it, then I guess this is of no use! lol
Joss

MrSpringGreen
07-03-2002, 11:20 PM
It depends on what medium you use.
If your medium has any Damar Varnish in it then you need to use turpentine to clean your brushes.
Anything else and mineral spirits or those citrus cleaners work fine.

PB15, PB48

hblenkle
07-04-2002, 11:14 AM
on the statement about cleaning brushes with paint dried in them, i had good luck with brush flush oil and latex paint brush cleaner. it is one of the biodegradable, non-toxic, non-flamable, water soluble brush cleaners. after taking a couple oil painting classes, i didn't paint in oils, while i got my bachelor's degree at devry and taking a few watercolor and acrylics classes at the dupage art league. it was about 8 years that a few brushes had sat with some paint in them. i soaked them in brush flush and they were fine. as for fumes, i noticed most people do not keep their mineral spirits or turps covered. i keep the cover of the brush washer tank on the tank, when i want to clean the brush i just lift the unscrewed cover, swish the brush around, and recover the tank. this keeps down on alot of the fumes. the solvent soaked paper towels i keep in a zip lock bag.

Luis Guerreiro
07-05-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by cobalt fingers

Tim,
There is no excuse to "forget" about your brushes.
I can't advise because I never had to be faced with the task of "saving" my brushes, so I have no experience to tell you how to save them.
What I can advise is about "discipline" in the studio. No matter what, the artist needs to discipline himself/herself in taking care of his/her tools, materials and working space. All rules apply in regards to materials, tools, cleanliness, health and safety.
I have had occasions when I had been painting until 04:00 AM. Of course it would have been easier to leave things untidy until next day, but I did the opposite and never went to bed until all was clear and brushes clean, etc...
Luis :)

Titanium
07-05-2002, 07:03 AM
Luis,

often I get the idea that Cobalt Fingers is
pulling our collective legs. He paints very
well and has never struck me as the forgetful
or untidy type.

Solvent free and using only small touches of
an oil medium.I just wipe my brushes off on
tissue paper and change colours.
The studio has no noticeable smell and this is
excellent as one of the house members is an
asthmatic.

My thinnest coats of paint remain opaque.
Life is good.
Titanium:clap:

Luis Guerreiro
07-05-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
Luis,

often I get the idea that Cobalt Fingers is
pulling our collective legs. He paints very
well and has never struck me as the forgetful
or untidy type.

Titanium:clap:

I agree. Tim does paint extremely well. What I wrote however, is not meant to be patronizing in any way, but only good advice for any reader. An untidy studio is a recipe for disaster. I have to keep everything tidy and organised because I tend to be clumsy, bump into things, that sort of thing... :D