PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if there's new posts on a thread??

cankeep
07-01-2002, 08:12 PM
I'm feeling pretty silly here but I'll ask anyway. How do we tell if there's new posts that we haven't read? I hate to miss any new comments but don't have time to look over every thread to check. On the old beaders forum that I'm used to using there was a bright red "new" beside each thread that had new comments added each time we visited the site. It was so convenient!
Am I missing something obvious here?

This format has a lot of extras that will be great once I learn more abut using all the bells and whistles, but I miss seeing the new comments.
Lezlie

Elankat
07-01-2002, 08:47 PM
There are two ways. First, the lightbulb color for the forum will change to yellow if there are new posts. Second, the little envelope icon will change. There is a key at the bottom of the forum that tells you what each of the envelope icons mean.

These work most of the time, however, I have noticed that they are sometimes inconsistent.

rightbrainbeads
07-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Thank you, LeAnne!

lynne

b2beads
07-01-2002, 08:57 PM
Also (someone correct me if I'm wrong), on post to which you have participated, or have subscribed to, you'll see a little down arrow right before the name of the thread. If you click on the arrow, it'll take you directly to the first thread you haven't seen.

That's what I've been using. Not sure if you can automatically subscribe to a whole forum, or not. I'll be looking through the options stuff...

B2

PS - Woo hoo! Look - I'm no longer a "junior member" and I now have one star!!! :D

Modesto
07-02-2002, 02:51 AM
At the bottom right of every thread/page you will see a link:

[Receive updates to this thread ]

Click on it.

I'm notified via e-mail as to who made a post and to which thread.

cankeep
07-02-2002, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I knew there had to be something that lets us know about new posts! I'll get the hang of using this forum eventually!
Lezlie

Elankat
07-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Be warned. If you post a lot, this becomes a spamming nightmare. You will get an email for every post on that thread. It can rapidly become a big pain.

b2beads
07-02-2002, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I found that out. I'm going to route them to a separate Outlook folder to see if that's less annoying. I do kinda like knowing something new is there, but I have a feeling that just leads to spending inordinate amounts of time online when I should be ontorch.... B2

paintfool
07-02-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by b2beads
Yeah, I found that out. I'm going to route them to a separate Outlook folder to see if that's less annoying. I do kinda like knowing something new is there, but I have a feeling that just leads to spending inordinate amounts of time online when I should be ontorch.... B2
Hahaha! Welcome to the club! :D I see you guys are finding your way around the site quite nicely. We have a lot of really neat 'toys' here. If you subscribe to a thread and find that you are no longer interested in being contacted via email you can always unsubscribe just as easly.

macbeth7
07-02-2002, 09:26 PM
Hiya Lezlie,

Thanks for asking! I'm just trying to figure my way around this forum here. As you said, once we get used to all of the bells & whistles it will be great!

Thanks to everyone for the tips. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you can uncheck a box before you post if you don't want to be notified of a new post to a thread on which you've posted.

Beth