PDA

View Full Version : Roche Pastels

bk7251
07-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Last year I posted some information I had learned about Roche pastels. For more information, see my article in the current issue of "The Pastel Journal."

Barry Katz
http://www.katzhome.com/gallery.htm

Dima
07-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Hello Barry,

Just had a look at your website.
Your pastels are very good, especially your handling of aerial perspective is very professional and convincing!

But I wonder what you have learned about Roche pastels as I wouldn't know where to get 'The Pastel Journal' in this country of mine.

Dick

bk7251
07-05-2002, 12:43 AM
Dick - I'll try to put the article up on my web site within the next week or so.

Barry

Terry
07-05-2002, 01:04 AM
Barry,
I read your article with great enthusiasm.

It was very interesting to hear about their unique method of making quality pastels.
I have had several people tell me that
the location of making my pastels is also un-marked and hard to find.
1650 different colors seems remarkable to inventory!
It is good to hear they are keeping up the family tradition.
Thank you for the persistant detective work you put into the research to put that informative article together.
Terry Ludwig:clap:

Dima
07-05-2002, 06:05 AM
Thank you, Barry!
I will check your web site to read it.

Dick

gmc
07-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Barry,

Nice to see you in pastel forum again. Thanks for the article on Roche Pastels. Now to go out and get the magazine.

Checked out your website. Outstanding work. Really enjoyed the viewing.

geri

bk7251
07-09-2002, 11:21 AM
The article on Roche pastels is now available on my web site. There is a link to it on the bottom of my home page.

http://www.katzhome.com/gallery.htm

gmc
07-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Barry

Excellent article. I immediately looked up Roche Pastel. On the web, Rochester Art Supplies goes under FineArtStore.com. I have purchased over the web from them many times. Great people to work with. Fast delivery also.

Although tempted to try Roche Pastels, well, let's say I need a lot more experience before making such a great investment.

Thanks for a wonderful read. geri

Dima
07-10-2002, 03:13 AM
Thank you, Barry for the article!
Very pleasant reading.
Your detective work did pay off: you have at least a wonderful story to tell and hopefully some great pastels.

Dick

TinaLee
07-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Barry, thanks for posting the article on your website; I found the history of this tiny company fascinating.

Since you mentioned that Roche pastels contain very fine pumice, I did a search on Diane Townsend's Terrages, and saw that you also use those. Now that you have found and used both, how do they compare? Are the Terrages even close to the feel and coverage of the Roches?

I haven't used either yet, but have been extremely curious since learning about the creation of the Terrages for Wolf Kahn. Your article has filled in a huge piece of the puzzle for me. Thank you!

bk7251
07-12-2002, 12:15 AM
Diane Townsend's terrages pastels do contain some pumice, but they aren't quite as gritty as Roche pastels. Diane's pastels are generally of a creamiery consiscency and are, in some ways, easier to work with. (Her regular soft pastels are also lovely.) As much as I like Roche, Townsend's terrages are my real mainstays. There is some variation in consistency across the color range. The blues and violets tend to be softer, while the reds, earth tones, and some of the greens are harder - occasionally to the point that they don't transfer to paper all that easily. The Roches I've tried seem more consistent, but I have only tried about twenty of them. I will add more to my collection as time goes by (and as finances permit).

Another great thing about Diane is her willingness to create special colors for artists. In response to a request of mine, she recently added a deep dioxazine purple that is almost black, and several lovely tints of it that I find extremely useful.

When I was first getting serious about pastels, it took me a while to get over to the cost of Senellier, of which I now have hundreds. When I discovered Diane Townsend, the price was again a shock. But, I hasten to add, they are well worth the price and I am quite addicted to them.

I once made the mistake of taking my wife with me on a visit to New York Central Atrist Supply. As usual, though I went in planning to buy half a dozen or so pastels, I was seduced by drawer upon drawer of wonderful Townsend and Senellier pastels and ended up at the check-out counter with quite a bundle. When my wife saw what the total order added up to, she nodded quitely and said, "I don't want to hear any more about what I spend on shoes."

But I digress . . .