PDA

View Full Version : mounting finished painting (canvas) on masonite

Alisa
07-01-2002, 11:41 AM
I have a painting I did on a sheet of Fredrix canvas pad. I'm looking for info on how to mount this "finished" painting onto
masonite/hardboard. Is there any specific type masonite I should use?

I did a search and understand that the terms masonite and hardboard are the same, and I should get it "untempered" (no oil in the board).

As for what glue to use... in the search I did "acrylic medium" was suggested. Is this a glue? Can I use regular white glue such as "Aleene's tacky glue" ?

Also....do I cut the canvas right to the edge of the board or should it be wrapped tight and glued to the back of the board.

lots of questions here, any infromation Much appreciated:)

Alisa:)

dspinks
07-01-2002, 11:44 PM
I mounted a couple of Fredrix canvases on matboard - I think the basic technique should be the same. I gessoed the board and then used gloss medium to fasten the canvas. I did one with a wrapped edge and one flat out. The wrapped one was hard to center and manipulate. The flat one was easier, I used a board the same size as the canvas. I figure if I frame it, the frame will cover the edge. Put heavy, even weight on them when you're done glueing to make sure they adhere throughout. I used a small table upside down and tons of books. I did these about 4 months ago and they are holding up so far.
Debra

artinoils
07-02-2002, 01:33 PM
I used something called "memory mount" I found it at ACMoore.
http://www.crafterspick.com
It's archival and acid free and non wrinkle. I tried it on paper, linen and canvas all mounted on board. I spread it on the board with a cheap large brush and then placed the art work on, didn't wrap edge. Placed face down and trimmed edge with exacto knife. It's water cleanup and supposedly can be removed by soaking with water. It has some working time for postioning the piece also.
Hope this is helpful.

Alisa
07-03-2002, 01:09 AM
Thankyou!

Debra, got my gesso and medium. I think I'll try it flat instead of wrapping around, just make sure I have the medium covering all the way to the edge nicely.

artinoils, thanks for the link, it's bookmarked. I saw your message after I got my supplies, want to try this though, sounds handy for other projects too.

thanks so much for the instructions and tips you two!!!!!!!! Such simple things I know, unless you've never done them. I'll post how I did:)

Alisa