PDA

View Full Version : New Camera - Lovin It

mrking
03-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Not so much pastel related but I did buy it for pohtographing still lifes and my paintings.

It's a Nikon D60. Wow, great camera. If you are in the market for a digital SLR, look at this one.

Anyway, I was playing around doing some night photography, got bored with taking pictures of stars and night clouds that I brought out my flashlight and decided to try and write my name.... hehe, worked not bad too. This was a 20 second exposure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2008/108995-name.jpg

artist_pw
03-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Hi:

I love digital cameras - definitely one of the best and coolest things in recent years. I took some shots of the last lunar eclipse and they turned out great. This photo looks like it was fun to make! I also think looking at the thumbnails of reference photos was great way to hone my composition abilities - it really helped to remove the extraneous data and just see the design.

Adiro
03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
This is awesome!
But I am a Canon fan:D
40D rocks!!!!!
:D :D :D

nvcricket
03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't know anything about cameras....

My next pastel buy will be for a better camera. Can you tell me the positives on this camera over others you were considering. I want to do homework before the splurge and not get sucked in by a salesman. You chose this one over the others because......

Thanks, any info will help.

Carol

Shari
03-09-2008, 01:31 PM
My husband recently bought the Canon Rebel XTI and really loves that one. I needed something smaller and more portable for art classes and shooting landscapes so I bought the Canon SX100 with a 10x OPTICAL zoom, which allows you to shoot from quite far away and not compromise picture quality. Optical zoom (as opposed to digital zoom) was very important to me and that was why I chose this smaller Canon. It is great for workshops and classes but outdoors I am able to shoot animals from much farther away without having to have a huge camera and lens to carry around.

Pat Isaac
03-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a Nikon D40 and I just love it. Santa brought it this year and it also came with a zoom lens. Takes great images.

Pat

artist_pw
03-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi:

You should just use the optical zoom - the digital zoom lens actually just crops the image. I turn off my digital zoom, and just use the optical zooming. I also always just get the cameras that are new but a bit older models because usually they are so cheap (like a Canon powershot version for no more than $150 - there is currently one at Costco on a $20 or $30 discount for $129 that's a bit of a bump up at 7.1 mp.) I currently have two digital cameras that are still alive - a Canon Powershot A520 4 mp, and a Canon Powershot S315 6 mp that I got last year. It takes great photos.

NVCricket - before I really got any digital cameras, I looked at yahoo reviews on the various best selling cameras, and the Canons always looked like they had the best. The batteries really last a long time in them too, which was another good selling feature. They also have Digic processing so that they compensate a bit to lessen blurred images.

It is incredibly handy to have a digital camera - I got my first one in about 2000, because before then I would get those little disposable cameras to take reference photos, and I figured in a year's worth of those and processing costs would easily match the cost of the inexpensive Intel digital camera I got then - when it died, I got my first Canon. You might try to find a fairly inexpensive digital camera and just carry it around with you and get used to it, and I'm sure you will love being able to take photos at any time. A lot of the time when I'm driving and I see some clouds that I like, I'll take a quick snap at a stop light. It is so handy, and I truly don't know what I would do without my cameras. Hope this helps.

MLFLY
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I think Canon and Nikon are top of the line and you can't go wrong with either. I like the stronger IS lineup and improved High ISO/ dark scene noise levels of Canon. However, mrking's flashlight name print shot shows some pretty low noise so maybe that category is neck and neck again.

westcoast_Mike
03-10-2008, 02:14 PM
NVCricket, they are a worthwhile investment but I'd educate myself about them a little first. Decide what your budget is, how serious you will be about using, size considerations, etc. For reviews, two sites I look at frequently are dcresource and dpreview. Both don't hesitate to pan a camera if they don't feel it's up to the competition. Too many of the sites seem like there isn't a camera out there that they aren't in love with.

That said, I agree about the eralier comments re: Nikon and Canon. Both make great SLR's as well as great point and shoot models. For a budget SLR, I'd also look at Pentax.

naoip
03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Mrking congrats on the D60 great camera so ive read, and the 40 &60 are pretty compact for a slr!! I just brought a Ricoh grd great small camera noise is very film like imo..Still got my eyes out for a slr,i'm hoping the d40 price comes down with the introduction of the D60 ;) ..