PDA

View Full Version : Part of your creative process?

Modesto
07-01-2002, 05:23 AM
I have seen this question asked before on others sites and, I thought it might be interesting to see the response from this crowd. Please expand on your response...why it is important or, not...and if you do listen to music, what type?

rightbrainbeads
07-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Heh... looks like for once I'm part of the majority ;)

lynne

b2beads
07-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Well, I don't actually bump, grind and play air guitar, but I definitely sing (gotta be careful with the "p" words - they move the flame around a bit. And whistling is out...)

Music encourages "moods" for me. I play just about anything from classical to the Clash to Macy Gray - yesterday was a classical day. It psyches me up or calms me down - whatever the current "need" is. (Sorry, no Brittany or bunch 'o boys groups.)

Used to have TV in the background - OK, but didn't contribute to the process at all. And radio's OK, but the commercials are so annoying.

Sometimes no music. But regardless, I'm always singing. I think it's because of the inherent rhythm of the oxygen generator. So, if I don't supply some music, I find myself inadvertantly singing crap imbedded in my memory from childhood, which ends up being something absurb like "She's coming round the mountain" - man, when something like that takes hold, you find yourself humming it at work the next day - scary.

One recent problem - I noticed I often "wait" for the beat to do certain actions - like touch glass to rod, or stop "rounding" the bead.

B2

Modesto
07-01-2002, 10:03 AM
OUTSTANDING reply B2:clap:

BlackDotMags
07-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Neat poll, Harold!
I live and breathe music. There's always a song in my head. (Currently, Metallica "Until It Sleeps") :)

I've been known to be affected so deeply by hearing a song, that I run out to get the CD, and play it over and over for a whole torch session until I've finally exorcised whatever creative spirit it's conjured up in me.

If it weren't for being snapped back to reality by my family, I could literally wander around for days in a creative/musical stupor, oblivious to everything but the thoughts rushing through my brain, and my hands struggling to keep up with the flow. When I finally do get the piece completed, it's only then that I can be released from the grips of the song. These are what I call my "creative musical highs", and sometimes it frustrates me to no end that due to my everyday responsibilities, I can't just go with the flow of them when they hit me. (sigh) Oh, to be able to spend a few weeks in total solitude!!

{Okay, prolly too much information there. Hey, I never claimed to be normal.} ;)

Mags
~~~~

Modesto
07-01-2002, 12:53 PM
RE:"{Okay, prolly too much information there."

Not at all, I love when you give life and, vision with your words.
Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when I do my "Ring Of Fire"... "Johnny Cash" rendition?:eek:

b2beads
07-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Now I'm really frightened!!! :evil: B2

generationsglass
07-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Hey another Johnny Cash fan!

Well, I listen to what ever type of music I feel will best influence what I am working on at the time.

Just take the lowrider for example, I was really getting into some Steppenwolf(sp?). When I want my piece to be laid back I listen to laid back music like Grateful Dead, blues, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, or any classic country. When I want it to me more excited looking I get into Metallica(the old stuff not the new) and stuff along that line.

Can't play instruments worth a damn though, even though I have always wanted to.

wildfirelauri
07-01-2002, 02:57 PM
Every day is different. I'll listen to Elton John, Bare Naked Ladies, Guster, Celtic crap, Beatles, Matchbox 20, Creed, Billy Joel, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Moody Blues,....on and on. I also confess to having a movie on TV on occasion while torching. And lots and lots of Arizona Green Tea with honey and gensing.

mlou
07-02-2002, 02:20 AM
I am one of the NO's. The music I listen to doesn't really allow for sitting still which really makes it difficult to make a round bead:)

I also work with an OG-15 which sounds like a ventillator and has meditative qualities that I prefer to music at this point.

I guess I am also a bit of a music snob, don't like any noises to interfere when I am enjoying some great tunes!

candygrrl
07-02-2002, 04:06 PM
you know, it's interesting that although I listen to all types of music normally, I can only work to certain types. I love New Age music to work to (enya, Yanni, etc.) or celtic stuff (Loreena McKennitt, or instrumental) Any kind of hard rock or pop just doesn't cut it. You should see the beads I made when I tried it! I do sing along, but again I think it has to have a certain soothing quality to it so I can "get in the zone."

Candace

snooze
07-02-2002, 08:58 PM
I love my music loud-anything alternative and rock. My problem is I don't play air guitar...I play air drums with my 10mm clear rods I use for punties. I used to play with stringers but they don't hold a beat and fly all over the studio. Almost put my husbands eye out playing some GooGoo Dolls.

Glassy79
07-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Harold
RE:"{Okay, prolly too much information there."

Not at all, I love when you give life and, vision with your words.
Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when I do my "Ring Of Fire"... "Johnny Cash" rendition?:eek:

Oh my god. are you going to sing for us too harold? or are you starting a music forum too?

Inquring minds want to know

Richard

margaretz
07-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Having and then eventually needing music while at the torch kind of happened accidentally. My boyfriend is a musician, and while I finish my real studio, the two of us are sharing our creative space. As B2 described in her post, music can be used to dictate moods. I've ended up feeling a little like a puppet, since Matt is the one deciding what to play and, as a downstream effect, dictates the mood of the room at that moment. When he's on his mandolin playing bluegrass, I end up having marathon bead making sessions, mostly with lots of vibrant colors- very happy beads! When he's writing music on the keyboard or experimenting with various effects- playing small pieces of a song but stopping often, I find that's the time to make small spacer beads, since the mood so often changes its hard to focus on one bead for a while. I'm thankful he rarely plays sad songs. I'd probably burn myself accidentally! Either way, I love having his music nearby. Makes for an interesting (and challenging) creative process, and I've made some beads that I never would have without it. I'm actually going to miss sharing the space, even though making beads is my "down time" from everything and everyone else... (hoping that i don't sound like a crazy fool) :p

Laura Brito
07-03-2002, 07:14 PM
I listen to all types of music when I work, right now I am on an arabic mode, and listen to alot of arab music, so much in fact I now know a few works in arabic! hehe, Habibi is one of them! I like to listen to it pretty loud too, I am afraid my neighbors are going to call the cops sometimes because my workshop speakers are tied into my pool speakers and so the whole neighborhood listens to what I am (we are on 1 acre), hehe, but I don't think they are to annoyed, no one has ever said a word.....

Laura

LLuvia Brito
07-03-2002, 10:10 PM
Its interesting having to share a work space with others, Music has become such a large part of me working at the torch that I will often hold off making beads till I have the space to myself! ;) I listen to my music loud enough to not want to "disturb" my parents with it LOL usually along the lines of Stone temple pilots, the white stripes, pink floyd, tool, weezer, or nine inch nails. I find certain music really changes how many beads I make and how quickly I create, with more relaxed music I tend to take much more time and pay more attention to every detail.

hehe its bad enough having to play music war with my mom (laura) at the computer, we each get about one song in back and forth :confused:

LLuvia Brito

Glassy79
07-03-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by mlou
I am one of the NO's. The music I listen to doesn't really allow for sitting still which really makes it difficult to make a round bead:)

I also work with an OG-15 which sounds like a ventillator and has meditative qualities that I prefer to music at this point.

I guess I am also a bit of a music snob, don't like any noises to interfere when I am enjoying some great tunes!

I have 2 OG-15's running and i don't hear either one of them over the music.

Richard

Anne Londez
07-04-2002, 06:22 AM
This is curious. I've been involved in music since the age of 8 and even envisionned making a living out of it at some point, but I don't really need music while torching. What I need is something to take my conscious mind away from what I am doing (ie the radio or TV on background level) so that my thinking process doesn't interfere with the creation... don't know if it makes sense. It helps me find the zone... sometimes...
I often sing under my breath (so as not to disturb the flame...) for the same reason.
Maybe I am a little strange... ?
Anne

Nonie
07-04-2002, 02:23 PM
We have a radio station here that plays all the music my Dad listened to when I was young ...Like Tony Bennet, and Frank Sinatra and more. It just really relaxes me and gives me a happy feeling to know he would absolutely love what I'm learning with the glass.:)

mlou
07-05-2002, 12:54 AM
Oh Nonie, that is just beautiful and sooo inspirational!! I may have to get a headset and rethink this! Good luck to you!!
mlou

Christopher Rice
07-05-2002, 08:16 AM
I would have to say I choose 3 and 4. If I am having a day where I am doing production, I may just listen to the radio, just some background noise. But on a day when I get to let my juices flow, the CD's get put in and the volume turned up. I love music! It gives me a feeling almost as good as working on the torch. So it is a double high for me. Whew, my blood is boiling already!
-pan

Shirley C.
07-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Back when I was in my teens (a billion years ago), I worked as a musician. I've loved music since before I could talk. I always listen to music when I am at the torch and the music I choose varies rather widely.

My all-time favorite CD for torching is Bela Fleck's "Drive". My hubby just got a CD by Roy Rogers (no, not the late cowboy) that I tried out at the torch - pretty good stuff. And I often listen to classical music, mostly classical guitar. Other favorites are Bonnie Raitt, Erol Garner, Stephane Grappelli, Joe Satriani, Paul Simon, Carlos Santana, and on and on...

I do get irritated when the CD comes to an end - I hate to have to change the dang thing when I'm on a roll. So sometimes I just listen to the radio. Our local classic rock station has very few commercials on the weekends, which is quite nice.

And sometimes I sing - I didn't even realize I was singing until I almost spit out the flame one day. So I try to keep it calm. Lots of foot-tapping going on, though, especially when the bluegrass comes on. Love that fiddle music!

b2beads
07-09-2002, 06:24 PM
Shirley - I've got that same singing problem - try and avoid "p" words...no whistling. I also have that end-of-CD problem. I just hit play again on my remote and sing 'em all over again...and again. If I've played the CD three times, I know it's time for a break from the torch... B2

NewCreation
07-09-2002, 09:59 PM
I always listen to music at the torch. My Faves are Christian praise or contemporary Christian, Rush, Celtic instrumental, U2, or an 80' wave compilation CD. My beads are always different depending on the music. I find that my most detailed and precise work gets done when I am listening to Rush.

Beth Myers
07-09-2002, 11:19 PM
I have to have the music!!!!!
And there is no secret to my sad attempts at dancing, I dance like a drunk pirate, but I love pirates, may do a pirate bead series, yep thats the ticket. And I do play Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire, LOVE it.
I listen to ALL kinds of music while I work, Opera to Led Zepplin, I can crank out some beads to Kashmir.
And on cool, pretty mornings, I just open up the studio door and listen to the birds and the neighbor's children playing, sweet.
beth

mistymade
07-10-2002, 02:26 AM
Laura, I'm so amused that you listen to arabic music! My hubby is arabic (from Jordan), we've been married almost 10 yrs and I've heard so much arabic music that I now feel somewhat arabic. It has really grown on me and I have come to love it! Now just got to get up the courage to take a belly dancin class! Yeah right:D
Misty

anasazistudios
07-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Music is very important when I torch.

I have a play list set up and here is a partial list.

Heart Of Glass (Disco Version)
Michael Jackson - PYT (Pretty Young Thing)
One Nation Under A Groove
Dance Floor
More Bounce To The Ounce
Midnight Star - No Parking On The Dance Floor
Lights, Camara, Action
Pull Fancy Dancer-Pull - One Way
PARTY TRAIN Gap Band
Morris Day & The Time - 777-9311
Cutie Pie One Way
George Clinton And The Parliament Funkadelic - Flashlight (Parliment)

Elizabeth

candygrrl
07-10-2002, 09:07 AM
Yay Amy!

Whoo hoo, another girl Rush fan!! :clap: :clap: Those are pretty rare birds, though I've never figured out why... Do you like the new cd? Now that you say that about your beads, I may have to pop the cd in and give it a try. :D

Candace

Ann*S
07-10-2002, 02:57 PM
My favorites are Lyle Lovett, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Bonnie Raitt,Billy Joel, Willie Nelson, Carly Simon( and J. Taylor), and old classics like Rosemary Clooney, and Frank Sinatra. I guess I like music with a story to tell( so, anything country). The majority of these artists are poets and story-tellers.
Ann
hmmm...and I love torch songs. hee hee

redhotbeads
07-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by anasazistudios
Music is very important when I torch.

I have a play list set up and here is a partial list.

Heart Of Glass (Disco Version)
Michael Jackson - PYT (Pretty Young Thing)
One Nation Under A Groove
Dance Floor
More Bounce To The Ounce
Midnight Star - No Parking On The Dance Floor
Lights, Camara, Action
Pull Fancy Dancer-Pull - One Way
PARTY TRAIN Gap Band
Morris Day & The Time - 777-9311
Cutie Pie One Way
George Clinton And The Parliament Funkadelic - Flashlight (Parliment)

Elizabeth

HEY! Now you're talkin'! How about "The Bird" by Morris Day & the Time? I love your list - I might just have to burn a CD with those on it. I guess now it's considered "old school" but I still love listening to it.

I also listen to NPR (not hugely creative, but informative at least), and a lot of blues music (SRV, Indigenous, etc) as well as good old rock & roll like Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, and so on. About the only thing I don't really listen to is country music.
Kelly

Studio Marcy
07-11-2002, 03:35 PM
I think David Byrne's Rei Mo Mo is the way to go when beading. The only problem is keeping your mandrel horizontal as your body is moving to the music.

Shirley C.
07-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Yes, MamboBeads, great CD! Course, I'm a long-time Talking Heads fan as well.

b2beads
07-12-2002, 12:38 AM
Yep, same as it ever was... b2

macbeth7
07-12-2002, 12:41 AM
Har har ,b2! :p

I still have all of my TH albums...yes, LPs!

:cat:
Beth

Lori Robbins
07-12-2002, 10:20 AM
Great thread!
I am married to a guitarist and music is very big in our lives. I like a wide variety of music. Right now as a torch I have been listening to DMB, Old David Bowie, Korn, Or and as always Mozartís Operas.
Sometimes ya got got to have that alt rock to get cha started eh? Better than coffee.
:D

Emily
07-29-2002, 03:34 PM
Have to have a CD changer! I bought a 3-CD model for my "studio," and wish I'd gone for a 5 or a 6 (or 50 or 100, and then I wouldn't have all those heaps of CD cases piled around). Have to have the "random" function, so you don't get bored -- never know which song is coming up. And I have the CD player where I can reach it from the torch, so I can hit the "start" button again if all 3 CDs finish -- and so I can hit the "skip" button when something really bad comes up.

I suppose what I play would be mostly alt.country, if there were alt.country any more -- too recent to be "roots" music, might fall under "Americana," whatever that is, sometimes gets filed under "Folk," with all the "Alas, I have slain my true love and thrown her in the river" ballads, includes a little bluegrass, I suppose. Lately it's been heavy on Kasey Chambers, John Hiatt, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, Dave Carter ( :crying: ) and Tracy Grammer, Buddy & Julie Miller, Emmylou Harris, Guy Clark ...

Just occurred to me that I should dig out my copy of k.d. lang's "Absolute Torch and Twang." ;)

And yes, I turn it up loud and sing. I don't like my neighbors anyway...

glassdude
07-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Heheehehehe!!! The louder the better, right Emily!? Wish I had gotten that big CD changer too!
I play a little bit of everything, but lately I'm leaning more towards the "Contemporary Jazz" type sounds of India Arie, Jill Scott..... a bit of Zydeco, Earth, Wind and Fire.... Loud, with lots and lots of horns and drums....
Hugs!
Jacqui

AllisonE
07-29-2002, 05:06 PM
I switch between having either history channel/discover channel or music.
The music must be loud and expansive- Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire, Harry Connick Jr. etc. But, I have been known to throw together 80's standards (blondie, the clash, pat benitar, etc) on a cd with 40's standards (frank sinatra, dean martin, ella fitzgerald). My boyfriend set up our living room (now the studio) with full surround sound, so the torch is in the perfect listening spot in the room. The floors are clay tile and the walls are mostly plaster and it is built into the side of a hill, so you can imagine the accoustic.
Another interesting aspect of this poll would be age demographics. Anyone care to share?
I'll start, I'm 25.
Allison

Emily NZ
07-29-2002, 07:06 PM
Both my husband and I listen to talkback radio in the mornings and then tune in to a light rock fm station in the afternoons. Alec is in charge of the tuning ’cos the radio is closer to him. We work full days on our torches Alec 9am - 5pm me 10am - 5pm. When we have the lite fm music on I can be found jiving away in my seat!
Then we will also use our time in the evenings watching telly and carding up our work, out of the kiln from the day before.
Emily:D

sagehen
07-30-2002, 08:46 AM
I can't even begin to work with out turning the CD player on, it even comes on before the A/C does! I mostly listen to Native American music both traditional and contemporary. I also listen to New age, acoustic guitar and anything by Chris LeDoux. I tried classical, but some of it is just to sad & moody and I end feeling like the music! ( I really get into my music!)

Katie .....sing'n at the torch till she looses her voice!:D

Modesto
07-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by sagehen
I can't even begin to work with out turning the CD player on, it even comes on before the A/C does! I mostly listen to Native American music both traditional and contemporary. I also listen to New age, acoustic guitar and anything by Chris LeDoux. I tried classical, but some of it is just to sad & moody and I end feeling like the music! ( I really get into my music!)

Katie .....sing'n at the torch till she looses her voice!:D

Hey Katie,

Have you ever listened to Mauro Oliveira From Los Angeles, California area?
He is Navajo....and really from Northern Arizona.

PeggyK
07-30-2002, 09:56 AM
I wish I could listen to music while I work on beads. But the hothead is just too loud.!! If I ever up grade, it will be easy listening, 70's and 80's music. PeggyK:cat: :cat: :cat:

Glassy79
07-30-2002, 10:07 AM
Hum ?????????????

I wonder if Harold can read smoke signels too?? :confused: :confused:

Modesto
07-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Glassy79
Hum ?????????????

I wonder if Harold can read smoke signels too?? :confused: :confused:

I can usually see through the smoke.:D

macbeth7
07-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Okay Lori, what is DMB...trying to figure it out here!

Wow, wide range of music here, folks!

:music:
Beth

JodiPrice
07-30-2002, 02:17 PM
Dancing Queen feel the beat from the tambourine...........ohhhh yah!!
You can dance, you can jiiiiivvve, having the time of your life............

Need I say more????? LOL!!!:p

saucy
01-20-2004, 01:19 AM
I bump, grind, dance, sing, but no air guitar. It's always drums for me baby. It's bad if I start tapping the mandrel and the glass. DH always taps me on the shoulder (scares the heck out of me) and asks me to keep it down. Gee, I feel like a teenager then.

He's been gone since Friday and I haven't had to wear headphones! The music is on full blast on three stereos througout the house. Talk about surround sound!

firstin
01-20-2004, 03:25 AM
We have a radio station here that plays all the music my Dad listened to when I was young ...Like Tony Bennet, and Frank Sinatra and more. It just really relaxes me and gives me a happy feeling to know he would absolutely love what I'm learning with the glass.:)
Nonie, what a great picture you painted in this post. I am sure your dad would be proud.

GinnyHampton
01-20-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm a "yes to music" bead person. I listen to mostly the top 40/teeny bopper music because it puts me in a good mood. And I sing, whistle and 'chair dance' while I'm torching . . . . I have no idea how my beads turn out round because my butt never sits still during the whole process.

xoticbead
01-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Nope No Music
I love the sound of my 2 oxycons "breathing" and the hiss of the torch. I have so much noise in my life that my time in my studio is also use for quiet contemplation of my navel or what ever....
Liz

froggee501
01-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Beth - DMB would stand for Dave Matthews Band.

Anyone ever listen to Radiohead or BNL (BareNaked Ladies)? Those would make for interesting beads... :D

Emma

BabsW
01-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Music is for driving. TV for torching.

Barbara

backroombeads
01-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Interesting answers here. I have got to have my music whether its country, Native American, or alternative. I can't play it loud though cause its also what plays in my store... I need a way to be able to turn it up in the studio, normal in the store, and louder on the outdoor speakers. But I'm not finding anything except wrong answers. flame on!! Pat

tennis et
01-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Gary Allan, Gary Allan, Gary Allan.

emeraldart
01-21-2004, 11:07 AM
My shop in on the back of my house between 2 brick walls - I can't get Cable and I only get 2 radio stations - Kids top 40 and Country.
Saturday and Sundays are misery - The TV has football, ice skating, Golf or Paid programing Imfomercials on everything but public TV and our public TV channel tends to repeat - How many times can you watch "Showboat" or "Little Women" ?
I know I am in trouble when I know all the words to a Fitty Cent Song. My only problem is I need my youngest son to interpret what they are saying half the time.
"Sugar Sugar how you get so Fly?"
What?
And I am going around singing this!!!

EyesOfTheWorld
01-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Beth - DMB would stand for Dave Matthews Band.

Anyone ever listen to Radiohead or BNL (BareNaked Ladies)? Those would make for interesting beads... :D

Emma

I listen to Radiohead a lot. I will have to try it when making beads sometime, they are one of my favorite bands. So far I have only listened to the Dead, Phish, String Cheese Incident, Leftover salmon (improv "slamgrass") and celtic. Im a bluegrass and Jam band kinda guy. I think someone should try listening to Medeski Martin and Wood sometime while making beads. I would, but frankly, the thought of how they will turn out scares me.

cindy's studio
01-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Ok, I admit it...I make my best beads listening to tainted love by soft cell. I'm not really an 80's junky, but that one does it for me. I also enjoy listening to movies on the portable dvd player. Something about a good chick flick always gives me pretty feminine beads.
dont dont tainted love, ooohhh, dont dont tainted love.....
Cindy

EyesOfTheWorld
01-22-2004, 03:53 PM
My shop in on the back of my house between 2 brick walls - I can't get Cable and I only get 2 radio stations - Kids top 40 and Country.
Saturday and Sundays are misery - The TV has football, ice skating, Golf or Paid programing Imfomercials on everything but public TV and our public TV channel tends to repeat - How many times can you watch "Showboat" or "Little Women" ?
I know I am in trouble when I know all the words to a Fitty Cent Song. My only problem is I need my youngest son to interpret what they are saying half the time.
"Sugar Sugar how you get so Fly?"
What?
And I am going around singing this!!!

The funny thing is, I am of the generation of "fifty cent" and "eminem" but even I couldn't tell you what the lyrics mean. I guess its because I'm out of touch with the "Cool thing to do" and the "Teenie Pop/Rap Invasion"... Oh well, I'd rather not be anyways.

KD-W
01-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Got a question...I demonstrate bead making at my new gallery in Bisbee... Part of it is converted into a small glass studio and people can watch from the street if they care to... I have found it very interesting to see how those who watch me effect the work I am doing at the time... they cannot speak to me because I am behind the shop window, but some people make a WONDERFULLY positive difference to the way I work and others, for no reason that I can find, give out some kind of energy that makes it more difficult, and then I just pull latticino, or do other kinds of "mileage" until the feeling passes... don't know why this is... but the different reactions inside me are quite specific. Have any of you noticed this psychic thing when you demonstrate in public??? (I think it may be about the sort of "painting" work I do... like the attachment... Making small beads for earrings etc does not seem to be effected at all by people watching...)
It will be interesting to see how this works in Tucson when I demo for a whole week, without a glass window between me and the public...Though I will have a fire guard for safety's sake... Please tell me if this makes any sense to you and if you have experienced the same varied reactions to people watching you work...

isle-of-cats
01-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Ok, I admit it...I make my best beads listening to tainted love by soft cell. I'm not really an 80's junky, but that one does it for me. I also enjoy listening to movies on the portable dvd player. Something about a good chick flick always gives me pretty feminine beads.
dont dont tainted love, ooohhh, dont dont tainted love.....
Cindy

AAWWW.. that cracked me up!! I know I have that CD somewhere... now I have got to find it!!

My Music Favs (depending on my mood): Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, DMB, Steve Miller, James Taylor, Norah Jones, Dido, Jewel, Evanescence, No Doubt, Alanis Morissette, Massive Attack, Portishead, Delerium... to name just a few...

Kalera
01-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Sometimes I find I need to work in (relative) silence, with just the noise of the fan, the torch, and the two oxgen concentrators, plus the small children galloping to and fro over my head and the water running through the pipes, but most of the time I have music cranked way up to help me let go of my thoughts and allow the glass to do what the glass wants to do. I listen mostly to a mix of Leonard Cohen, Dido, Orff, Barenaked Ladies, Fiona Apple, Elvis Costello, Jewel, the Cure, Eminem, Wagner, Staind, pj harvey, Kristin Hersch, Beethoven, and Harvey Danger, and I try to mix it up now and then with other stuff.

And I sing along! OK, not to Orff.

NLC
01-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Due to where I'm set up and where the stereo is set up and the fact that I'm on a Hot Head, any music played so I could hear it would be too loud for the rest of the house. (My poor puppy's delicate ears couldn't handle it.)

I usually have music going through my head that I sing along with, though. GNR's cover of Symphany for the Devil cranked out a pretty devious looking devil sheep. :evil: Complete with goldstone horns.

Pretty much any music is fair game from Dr. Demento's greatest hits to Brent Spiner to Rocky Horror to Phantom, Eminem, Moire Brennan, Jimmy Eat World... My music collection looks like I shut my eyes and spun around in a record (oops, remember what those are?) store and grabbed at random.

For the age demographic, I'm 27.
Harold, thanks for starting a fun poll.
Nikki

Calilily
01-26-2004, 10:42 PM
AAWWW.. that cracked me up!! I know I have that CD somewhere... now I have got to find it!!

My Music Favs (depending on my mood): Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, DMB, Steve Miller, James Taylor, Norah Jones, Dido, Jewel, Evanescence, No Doubt, Alanis Morissette, Massive Attack, Portishead, Delerium... to name just a few...

OMG Someone else that listens to Portishead!!?? One of my favs. :D