PDA

View Full Version : More "Stone" Beads - b2beads

b2beads
06-30-2002, 10:36 PM
These came out of the kiln this AM. Didn't work exactly as planned, but still like them. Used effetre tongue pink (I think...could be the other quirky striking pink), ivory, trans. yellow green and - of course - silvered ivory.

Whatever that color is (on each side of the encased focal), it's a lot of "work" to get it to strike the same color for matching beads, but I love the color. Need to try them etched....

B2 :cat:

margaretz
06-30-2002, 10:49 PM
lovely set! that focal bead looks yummy!

if it is tongue pink, i haven't been able to get mine to strike much at all, but then again, i'm on a hot head (soon to be moving up to another torch).
also- how much heat do you apply to your silvered ivory? i end up with a fairly different result...

b2beads
06-30-2002, 11:47 PM
Thanks, Margaret!

For my silvered ivory, I use silver foil, not leaf. I also use quite a bit - maybe a third of a sheet or so. I make a large gather and roll up the foil (there is usually enough for several rotations). When I burn it off, I work out pretty far in the flame so that I burn it off slowly - not sure if that makes it darker or not... Then I pull stringers, or sometimes I use my masher and squish it back into a rod shape and use it directly from the rod.

B2

rightbrainbeads
07-01-2002, 12:14 AM
Beautiful, Beth! They really look like marble!

:clap:

lynne

Carol Saker
07-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Wow, I like this set too - they do look like marble, Lynne!. The rich pink beads are really yummy. Excellent work B2!

Carol

BlackDotMags
07-01-2002, 12:51 AM
Oh, Beth, there's so lovely!
I am going to start referring to you as the Queen of Silvered Stringer. You got it all going on, girl! :)

Mags

margaretz
07-01-2002, 01:13 AM
thanks, beth. In making stringer, I've only used a relatively small amount of foil- just enough to cover the gather once, maybe a little more. Can't wait to try it! thanks again!

Elankat
07-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Very cool. I love the end ones.

Modesto
07-01-2002, 06:21 AM
Wow B2, I love the colors, the center bead is awesome!
Every bead compliments the next, a great family.

Mike E etc
07-01-2002, 07:34 AM
They look real to me. Nice work.
Mike E

macbeth7
07-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Hiya Beth,

Wonderful set of beads there...they really do look like stone! Is the tonguepink striking somewhat coral-ly, or is it just my monitor?

:cat:
Beth

DonnaB
07-02-2002, 11:06 PM
For some reason, the first thing I thought of was "intoxicating", like effervescent champagne or something. (But NOT bubbly!) They are special.

I have I think one rod of the tongue pink and also of the powder pink and I am too intimidated to use them.

b2beads
07-03-2002, 01:56 AM
Thanks all. I sort of stumbled onto this "stone" look once when attempting to make tiger striped beads and I used ivory and/or silvered ivory in the complex cane. Makes the stripes diffuse so it gives it that organic look.

I think I started using the striking pinks because the result ended up more varied (therefore more natural looking?) Tongue pink and powder pink both want to go white on you. The trick appears to be letting them cool down to the correct point then putting them back in the flame - how fast and how hot you reheat seems to determine the "shade". Tongue definitely wants to go to a brownish pink first. If you keep going you can get it to build up color (or at least that's what appears to be happening.) A coralish color is an intermediate shade. And you can get quite a bright shade, but I haven't had much success... But, I'm just learning to strike some of these colors. And, a bonus - if you hate using effetre white because it's so soft, use tongue pink or powder pink and don't strike (which of course, when you DON'T want it to, you won't be able to avoid it...)

The ones I CANNOT get to work whatsoever are the pink alabastros. The lt. & med. pink ala. rods are so gorgeous and translucent and they go white on me immediately. I have not been able to get them to strike back at all. And, of course, I learned the hard way that alabastro and reduction flame are NOT a good pairing...

If anyone has suggestions on how to work with alabastros, jump right in...

B2

DonnaB
07-03-2002, 09:37 AM
I have used the green and blue alabastro successfully, have not tried the pinks. What I found is that you have to work cool because they like to boil. And they are stiff, like Bullseye glass so you have to have patience. Which I don't. But I didn't have any compatibility problem working with them with white and black. I just made sure I flame annealed the work very well before putting it into the kiln. And that, for what it is worth, is my very limited experience with alabastro! The alabastro colors stayed true for me. And the colors are so beautiful...

Melinda Melanson
07-07-2002, 01:11 AM
I think you have to work the alabastro colors very cool or the color burns right out of them. The pink seems to be the worst one to keep the color in.

The Whip
11-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Your beads really do look like marble. Did you also do silver foil stringers around your coral color? It appears that the ones on the end are giving off that silver affect too. I've only used leaf, and it doesn't give the same affect. Where can you order the foil?:cool:

Foofaraw
11-08-2003, 07:14 PM
I love the color!

b2beads
11-08-2003, 07:58 PM
You are definitely taxing my already pathetic memory...

I got all my foil from Franz or Arrow Springs. And, yes, it was foil not leaf. I tend to use a lot of silver when making silvered ivory.

I think the way I did those was 2 different methods:

1. make complex cane with tongue pink and/or coral alternating with ivory, separated by very thin stripes of black, or pink, or even the trans yellow green. Then, in the center of one of the ivory sections, I draw a thin line of silvered ivory with a premade silvered ivory stringer. Heat the whole thing and created a complex twistie.

2. the second way is similar, but instead of premade silvered ivory stringers, I premake a narrow silvered ivory "rod". I use quite a bit of silver and mush it together and then draw out a narrow rod - thicker than stringer, but not so thick it'll crack without annealing. Then I make the cane as above but I use four sections of color separated by black: tongue pink, ivory, tongue pink, silvered ivory. Sometimes I use tongue pink and coral. I like to use colors with slight variations, or mix my own sort of "mottled" color for a more natural looking effect on the finished bead.

I also tried making it by putting the silver foil on one of the ivory sections after the cane was made, but before pulling and twisting. Makes for lighter effects and more variation.

Gee, makes me want to torch... But with a broken wrist, I don't think that's likely right now!

Hope that helps!

B2

Emily NZ
11-09-2003, 03:23 AM
Beth,
Wonderful beads, I wish I could do silvered ivory in boro!
It is lovely to see you posting on the forum again!
I hope your wrist heals well (I must have missed reading a thread about that!)
Hugs
Emily

b2beads
11-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Hi Emily! No story, really. Just fell in a parking lot - rushing around. I was diagnosed borderline osteoporosis last year (osteopenia), so that probably contributed. I never want to do something more than when I can't...suddenly tennis in winter is appealing... ;)

Hope you're doing well!

B2

Mike E etc
11-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Hi Beth,
long time but not forgotten. I remember those beads, they were too cool.

Mike E

laughing glass beads
11-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by b2beads
I never want to do something more than when I can't...suddenly tennis in winter is appealing... ;) B2

LOL. CC