PDA

View Full Version : do you offer guarantees?

jolie
06-30-2002, 02:47 PM
hi everyone,

i'm nearly done with my website and getting ready to post some items on ebay. one of the ideas i've been tossing around is a money back guarantee. i read somewhere that it is a good idea because it gives the buyers a sense of security if the item they received appears a bit different than it did on screen. colors from monitor to monitor can vary, so i think i would be a bit cautious if i were a buyer, especially if spending a fair amount of money. having a guarantee would make me more likely to part with my hard-earned cash.

do any of you offer this option on your website, ebay, or any other online venue where the buyer may not have been able to see the work in person before committing to purchase? if so, how do you phrase your policy? i'd be ok with it as long as i received the painting back in the same condition and that they pay postage with insurance.

jolie

CarlyHardy
06-30-2002, 05:36 PM
When I first began selling on ebay, I felt the same way about possible unhappy buyers. I put a Return Policy in my shipping info form that said..."Return of purchase price only with immediate notification by email and return shipment of painting in excellent condition. Buyer pays all return shipping costs."

After my feedback was built up, I amended the policy to read "No returns for original artwork".

I've only had one painting returned in two years....the buyer decided the background color wouldn't work out with her color scheme. She shipped the painting back, well packaged and insured! I refunded her purchase price only....then relisted the painting and sold it for a higher bid!!

I did have one buyer recently win a painting...then decided she'd rather have one that had closed earlier with no bids. I shipped the painting she wanted and she loved it! Relisted and sold the other one too!!

I'd rather deal with returns individually rather than have a blanket policy.
carly

Shai
06-30-2002, 11:10 PM
Since I'm still new at eBay and still trying to build my reputation, I'm using a return policy. I have two options: either I return the purchase price (less fees, for monetary returns) OR return FULL purchase price if they want to use the return payment for a different painting.

I also make it a point to stress the following:

- shipping fees are not refundable
- buyer assumes responsibility for return shipping
- art work must be in good condition when received back in the studio
- item must be returned within 15 days

I haven't needed to use this policy so far (only been around less than 2 months with about 15 small paintings sold), and I can only hope that I won't need to use it ever. ;)

Perhaps, if my feedback gets established like Carly (so far, I only have 12 counted with abt 16 positives), I would adapt a similar policy like hers. Thanks for the tip, Carly!

El_Elegante
07-01-2002, 12:46 AM
I do it on a case by case basis. Usually for more serious work. I don't have the time or money to be worried about someone not being happy with a $20 drawing. On the other hand, I want to develop a good relationship with serious collectors. If it is requested, I will offer a guarantee, as long as the buyer pays for the return shipping. Usually on work over about $300.

In anycase, I have never had anyone actually want to return a work.

cagathoc
07-01-2002, 09:16 AM
I feel strongly that since people are buying artwork without seeing it in person they should have the option of returning it if it doesn't meet there expectations.

This is my policy:

All paintings are 100% GUARANTEED. If you're not fully satisfied with any purchase, return it undamaged and insured within 10 business days for a full refund.

I have sold about 100 paintings on ebay and have had 2 returns. Both were "painting didn't match wallpaper" kind of reasons.

ketah777
07-01-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm curious, do you all offer guarantees when you do portrait work? It's not like you can turn around and re-sell it to someone else if it's a portrait of a person or pet. It would be awful to do all that work only to have it returned. What are your policies on this?

kjsspot
07-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ketah777
It's not like you can turn around and re-sell it to someone else if it's a portrait of a person or pet.

You most certainly CAN resell it! And yes, people actually buy portraits of other people and even more of an animal. Just think of it as a free model. Now you don't have to pay for a sitting fee. <g>

But yes, I always offer 100% satisfaction with ALL of my commissions. However, also notated in my contract is that I reserve the all rights to this piece, including the right to modify and resell it if they return it. This is a fairly common clause amongst portraiture artists.