PDA

View Full Version : When to tape OP's down?

Heidi Quintana
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Being new to OP's I have study everyday WC. On some of the OP's project I have notice some taping done. First what type of tape is it? And when to use it? Plus I am so confused if to be a puriest or not. What are some of the downfalls of a puriest?

Shirl Parker
03-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Taping can serve several functions.

It can create a nice untouched border around your work that is kept clean by the tape. But it's not really necessary if you use a mat to surround your work when framing.

It can help keep your paper from moving around so that you don't have any unhappy accidents when applying colors.

Now my mind is a blank. But I know there are other reasons, none of which are required.

Pat Isaac
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi Heidi, I moved your thread to the talk forum so that more people would see it and respond.
I personally do not tape my OPs as there is not danger of buckling. As Shirl says the only reason may be to keep a clean edge.

Pat

Peiwend
03-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Heidi, since I work at an easel I always tape the surface to a drawing board. I use regular two inch masking or painters tape. Don't leave it on too long or it will be difficult to remove.

_______________________________Wendell

wabbitt
03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I typically work on a drawing board, slanted from the edge of the table to my lap. It depends how big the paper is to the drawing board whether I use tape or clamps. If I plan to go to the edge of the paper, I create hinges with the tape to keep the edge flat and keep a clean drawing board.

Heidi Quintana
03-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Thank you all so much, I find this all so helpful. OP's are expensive and I would hate to ruin a project before it get it off the ground.

Shirl Parker
03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Heidi, if you haven't already, don't hesitate to buy a nice cheap set of OPs to do your basic drawing and lay in underpainting before you start using your expensive variety OPs. Pentel are a good selection, about $5 for a box