PDA

View Full Version : New to printmaking

Dave's in Florida
06-30-2002, 11:16 AM
I haven't seen as much activity here as in other areas of WetCanvas, so here's my little contribution.

I'm new to printmaking and have just one print.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my scanned image to less than 107 kb to post here and have any representation of what it really looks like. And since images are "summarily deleted" if over 100kb, it's at this webpage (CLICK ON PHOTOS) for your comment.

http://home.att.net/~d.a.grubbs/wsb/index.html

Carrie
06-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Hope you had fun doing your print. If this was our first one I'm sure there will be many more to come. It is a process with so many possibilities. The more prints you pull, the more you learn and it seems our moderator is a wealth of knowledge. You have good simple subject matter with the girl and the bottle. Try pulling a few more pints from your block and see if you can get more clear impression around her raised hand. I love the area of bricks at her feet.
Carrie

Dave's in Florida
06-30-2002, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Carrie. I appreciate your comments -- I'll be reworking that linoleum some more now to remove some of the clutter around the uplifted left hand, and perhaps print on dark paper with a light ink color.

I spent 4 hours tonight fooling around with multiple block printing, experimenting, and learning as go. I'm excited to be able to pick the brains of so many talented people here at WetCanvas.

Little Old Lady
07-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Very interesting print and title.
JoAnn

sassybird
07-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Dave, I for one have been chained to my press, and have not had time to do much posting. I hope to do so very soon though. Do you mainly work in lino? Most of my work is intaglio, but I also enjoy lino and monoprinting.

Dave's in Florida
07-05-2002, 08:22 PM
I'm new to printmaking -- never did any of it except really nifty potato printing that Mrs. Taylor had me work with at Park Lake Kindergarden in 1962. That wonderful print has been long gone. I was 5 years old.

Recently, I picked up "Simple Printmaking" by Diehl at the library and was fascinated with woodprinting techniques she described. Never having carved wood before, I didn't know if I was going to have any satisfaction with this medium or not, but I was going to give it a go using the woodcarving tools my father gave me. They're a little worn but still useable I thought.

I went to my closest art supply store and found no wood, but lots of linoleum, so I got a few sheets and 6 colors of Speedball water based ink, and whatever else I thought I needed. My first linoleum cut is "Woman on my cornea with bucket and bottle." The cuts are wide and deep.

Take a look at the linoleum prints of Warren Criswell at the link below, especially his linoleum print, "Moths." They're fabulous! I began experimenting with 2 block printing using a method similar to Warren Criswell http://www.warrencriswell.com/
where he first pulls a solid black print. Then, he makes cuts into the lino with a diamond tipped needle and pulls a another print in another color (white or orange, for example) printed over the initial black print. The cuts he made on the lino for the second orange- or white-inked print show up as black. The lines on his prints are fine and delicate with highlights -- just the effect I'm looking for. In addition, even though two ink colors are used, it appears as if it's a three color print as the mixture of the two colors produces a third color. Hence, a white and black inked print will also have gray.

He uses a diamond tipped needle because it cuts so much easier through the lino, and the effect is much like drawing he says.

I've had limited success with the basic printing method using water-based inks. Warren Criswell appears to have had better success with making his own oil-based inks by mulling dry white Daniel Smith pigment with burnt plate oil until it's very plastic. I think that's my next step...he's blazed the trail. (Thanks Warren). The black ground block print ink apparently isn't as critical as the second white or orange key block ink as per Warren's page. Much of what I've mentioned above is from his experimenting and the details are found at his web page.

That's where I am now in printmaking. There's a long road ahead of me and I'm grateful for all the information sharing among such talented people.

Little Old Lady
07-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the Criswell information. Just visited the site and marked it. Have to go back many times to check it all out. Want to give that technique a try.
JoAnn