PDA

View Full Version : OP videos on YouTube

starblue
03-04-2008, 04:47 AM
Just FYI. The artist Gary Garrett has a time-lapse of an oil pastel painting he creates of a marsh scene, with a music background. He uses Cray-Pas, Mungyo, and Loew Cornell oil pastels. I found it interesting that the only blending he does is with the sticks themselves--no tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PGL8rj3btQ&NR=1

This next one is very, very elementary, showing some simple mark-making with Pentels, but for beginners it might be useful; the intended audience is homeschooled kids. Even the hard Pentels aren't that hard; at the beginning of the crosshatch demo, she makes 5 parallel marks, and each successive mark is wider than the previous one--that the stick gets blunter with each mark is visibly obvious! (Think what this demo would have been like with Senns!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPVJC32uYs8&feature=related

If you search for the phrase "oil pastel", you'll find other videos. Some are time-lapse videos, some showcase various artists' OP works, but only the previous You-tuber seemed to have tutorials. (Pat or Jane, you've got an opportunity!) A promising tutorial possibility looks like it's about painting en plein air in England with OP's, but then you find out it's a trailer for a tape/DVD the artist wants to sell. It may be a worthwhile tutorial, but it's not free. Any guinea pig want to buy it and do a review for us? :p

If anyone runs across any other OP videos anywhere, feel free to post them in this thread.

Pat Isaac
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info, Bob. Gary does use his fingers to blend now and then. He tends to use a technique that many soft pastel artists use, directional line. Very interesting. If I find any I'll post them.
I'm not sure I'm ready for a youtube video.....

Pat

LJW
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Bob, thanks for the links. It is hard to find much instructional material, so this is helpful. I noticed, like Pat did, that Gary did use his finger to blend a couple of times. He also appeared to brush off the surface a couple of times with a larger flat brush - I wonder about that? Jane

Pat Isaac
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Maybe he used the brush to remove the timy particles of OP that sometime collect.

Pat

LJW
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Pat, you may be right. I tend to use a kneaded eraser to pick up the bits. Jane

starblue
03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, Gary did blend with his fingers occasionally, I forgot that. (He didn't use any tools, but only because he didn't have any with him, not because of some philosophical purity--the note on the RHS explains this.) He used the brush to remove tiny particles so they wouldn't get smeared into his blending with his fingers (this is in a reply to a respondent). Although there are some other OP time-lapse demos (some of portraits, BTW), I thought this one was well-done and showed the work from a better angle during its evolution.

While the other one can be considered mostly a hoot, if you're an absolute beginner, seeing anyone demo anything in realtime is something. And the inadvertent demo of how fast OPs get blunt was very revealing. It took the Pentel 5 strokes to go from sharp to really dull; I'd say it would take a Senn 1 stroke, a Holbein 2 strokes, to get that dull.

Artchrispy
03-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Awesome link Bob. Thanks. Pat and Jane you could clean up with the utube angle.. There are a few painters who film their paintings in progress then link the utube videos to their ebay listings or galleries. They seem to sell alot but at ebay prices. That could also be a way to sell glicees. I recently saw at an art supply store a brand of very thin canvas 8.5 x11 that is made for home printing of glicees. I know Pat you have glicees already on your site. I don't know if this canvas works but I'm going to try for the heck of it. Its super thin and primed. Its only 20.00 for a 10 sheets and I think it was made by Fredericks.
update I found the canvas for home glicees.
Here's a link for home printer canvas. Sorry to get off topic.
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/611/art-supplies/3
Can anyone spell out glicee phonetically. :o I 'm mostly self taught and am unsure if it's pronounced glee c or gly c or gl eye c.

Pat Isaac
03-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Chris, it is (gee - clay). I have used that kind of canvas paper in my printer. It looks good.
Think I'll pass on the youtube videos for now...

Pat

Artchrispy
03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Pat! There are one or two counter locked pigments I'm not sure on so I'll just avoid buying those. ;) "I'll take a tube of that alleyziron crimson please. No really, I've been painting awhile. You should see my guycees"