PDA

View Full Version : Turpenoid Natural, Zest-it and Pastel Making

Shirl Parker
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I asked this question in another thread, but it got lost there.
"Re: Turpenoid Natural?
Has anyone tried this as possible equivalent to Zest-It?

Eco-House 915 Orange Terpene Solvent http://www.dickblick.com/zz015/80/"

Zest-It is an orange derived solvent as a substitute for turpenoid, for those who may not know it. I have never tried it, but am curious.

I found this site which has these items on it, and many more things you might be interested in reading. They have a world-wide mail order service. http://cornelissen.com/

Pastel Making on Page 7
http://cornelissen.com/pdf/pastels.pdf

Zest-It Turpentine Substitute on Page 8 and Damar Varnish on Page 13
http://cornelissen.com/pdf/oils.pdf

Pat Isaac
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
That must be a new product at Blicks. Never ran across that before. I have tried turpenoid natural and really don't like it at all. It is thick and hard to spread and takes a long time to dry. Acts more like linseed oil IMO. I'm not sure you can get zest-it in this country and I know Ann(colormyworld) used zest it and found it to take a long time to dry.

Pat

AmesArt
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I've only seen Zest-It being sold on some UK store websites, but most of them ship worldwide.

Mark Sheeky
09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Zest-It is a watery solvent that evaporates slightly faster than OMS but slower than rectified turpentine (turpentine is not turpenoid) or other solvents with strong smells like oil of spike.

Mark

Weezy
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I have used Eco_house non-toxic solvent for about 2 years. It is a Canadian import, and a citrus product, and I love how it dissolves wax-based pencils. It also does the same for oil-based, so my initial thought would be that it would do the same for OPs.

It is watery, and works very easily into your drawings, either for washes or to float pre-dissloved pigment onto your work. You can get some lovely watercolor effects using this solvent and oil or wax based products. I have never used Zest-It.
Hope that helps.
Louise

Scarefishcrow
03-05-2009, 05:19 AM
I have used Eco_house non-toxic solvent for about 2 years. It is a Canadian import, and a citrus product, and I love how it dissolves wax-based pencils. It also does the same for oil-based, so my initial thought would be that it would do the same for OPs.

It is watery, and works very easily into your drawings, either for washes or to float pre-dissloved pigment onto your work. You can get some lovely watercolor effects using this solvent and oil or wax based products. I have never used Zest-It.
Hope that helps.
Louise

Thanks for the info, Louise.

Bill:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
03-07-2009, 11:49 PM
I bought the Turpenoid Natural thinking I would use it as a medium and wean myself off more toxic solvents. Unfortunately when I read the tin it says to use no more than 25% in the mixture when thinning oil and alkyd paints -- "due to a strong solvent action." I haven't tried it yet with oil pastels.

It seems like Orange Terpene is a different substance and hopefully that's the one that can actually be used like turpentine as a thinner instead of just as an ecologically safer cleanup substance. I was disappointed in the Turpenoid Natural because of that.

I couldn't read the bottle on Blick, it says only that it'll dissolve dried paint and damar varnish solids. So that's nice for cleaning off dried varnish bits but how well will it thin oil pastels?

I should try the Turpenoid Natural on OP since I have it here, see what happens, it'd only waste a bit of canva-paper to find out. But the Orange Terpene does say it's usable as a turpentine substitute, and that it's archival quality so that's a very good thing if it works.

I also haven't tried linseed oil as thinner either.

aolaranora
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I bought the Turpenoid Natural ....I haven't tried it yet with oil pastels.

This is an only one, I us so far, Robert. Working very well for all my needs, no complanes here... and no smell at all. I do have other solvents (for my oil paints), but see no point to use it right now, because thgis one is just us good us it gets. I more interested to try different supports and different types of OPs. :)

Weezy
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
At the oil painting workshop I recently attended, the students there were saying that Turpenoid Natural was really good at getting oil paint out of clothes, so it must be a strong solvent, Robert. I have not used it in any other way, so I cannot vouch for its usefulness. But I have a load in the washerr right now, and will be able to tell you how its removal properties work later today.:o