PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Easel

Shari
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
After reading the thread in February that was posted about the Anderson, I contacted them to see if there was a way to make mine able to hold larger paintings. For $6 they sent me a brand new piece for the T-Bar that replaces the old one. If anyone has an older Anderson like mine and Deborah's, this is the solution.

Deborah Secor
03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh thanks, Shari! I need that part!!!

Deborah

Snowbound
03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I have a question that maybe one or both of you could answer. It still bothers me that the only way to mount a 16x20 is vertically. This makes no sense to me in a plein air easel. I would like to be able to paint that size in landscape mode.

Now, my question for you is this: Is it possible to lay the panel down flat to the rear, then rotate it so it is upright in landscape mode, next to the box? (Am I making any sense here??) Or is the ball joint too close to the box? Another or: would this put too much strain on the joint? I have emailed Anderson, with no response after almost two weeks, and Dakota wasn't able to answer my question when I called. Hope you guys can help me understand if this is a possibility.

This conundrum has me thinking again about getting a Jullian instead, perhaps a half box to cut down on the bulk and the weight. Any thoughts? I am really rarin' to get out and paint, and want something I can carry on my back if necessary. If I do get a Jullian, DesignStar puts out a really nifty backpack type carrier with a padded back and shoulder straps, and web straps to hold the easel. I'd definitely get one!

Dayle Ann

Shari
03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe Deborah can help you. I would keep trying the folks at Anderson; I had no trouble contacting them.

Scorpio
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Snowbound,
I just tried it--the rotating mechanism will not work that way. It is not a rotating ball--the rotation piece is separate from the up-and- down piece. It is difficult to describe. If it were all one mechanism you might be able to use it landscape style. Unfortunately, it is not. If it were all one piece it would probably be very difficult to tighten anyway. The beauty is you don't tighten it--it is pretightened at the factory, and the only adjustment is for the canvas width.
Emilie

Deborah Secor
03-07-2008, 01:13 AM
There are ways around this, but they aren't neat, tidy and designed to be used this way. I simply bungie a board on top of the one mounted in the mast. Actually I use a sandwich of two boards taped together in which I keep my paper so that I can unclamp my little bungie, flip open the folder, pull out paper, close, re-bungie, and let the dust fly!

Deborah

Snowbound
03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Scorpio. That's the information I needed. Deborah, I remember when you posted a pic of your solution! I chuckled. I love your approach to problem-solving-- sort of ad hoc, like mine.

I want to use my easel for oils too (gulp), and am pondering cobbling together a sort of lightweight wood bracket that would be held by the easel bracketand reach out far enough to rest a panel in.

I've figured out a way to make a half-box Jullian work for me, but still like the box and leg design of the Anderson and the ease of setting it up.

I so hate having to make decisions. Eventually I will probably own both, but right now I only get to have one. Foo.

Dayle Ann